Indie dev sets itself ridiculous goal.

#1 Edited by Vitor (2809 posts) -

According to the video below, they will sell the game for $1 if 10 million people preorder for that price. If they fail to reach that target, all the money will go to charity and anyone who decides to still get the game will get a $1 discount.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrwCd4oeuXc

There is literally no way in hell they will reach that goal, this is a marketing stunt (and a bad one) and nothing more.

Modern Warfare 2 sold 4.7 million copies on it's first day. Not all of those were preorders. Probably far less than half. How can they expect to get 5x the amount of preorders than one of the biggest games ever? Ridiculous.

#2 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -
@Vitor
 
Black Ops did far better than MW2
#3 Posted by CornishRocker (397 posts) -

Hey, why not? If they don't reach the goal, the money goes to charity.

#4 Posted by Meltac (1999 posts) -

If I still got the game even though they didn't reach their goal, I would pre-order, but as it is right now, no thank you.

#5 Posted by Vitor (2809 posts) -

@xaLieNxGrEyx said:

@Vitor: Black Ops did far better than MW2

Yeah I know, but I didn't know the exact numbers for that so thought I'd settle for the prior best.

#6 Posted by ajamafalous (11846 posts) -

The fact that I've never heard of this game before now is the reason that they won't reach ten million.

#7 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

is this the Dead Space looking game?

#8 Posted by Edwardryu (437 posts) -

I posted the same thing in www.thegameeffect.com which I thought it's ridiculous even though all money will go to charity. some people think that they could achieve, why not? seriously, they are just indie studio. nobody really knows about this game. I never heard before. how the hell could they be reach to 10 millions? the main reason is why they do this? they don't want to make money from making game? it's the main reason any business works for. the whole thing doesn't make any sense. I bet 100%. they won't achieve the goal. don't get me wrong. I am not evil. they just have very ambitious dream as everybody does. you are not damn teen or kid to keep dream. it's serious business. if they will fail, they will have nothing but bankruptcy. making game is not free. there is the budget they invested. they should get profit margin what they spent for.

#9 Posted by The_Nubster (2046 posts) -

They're getting a lot of people to pre-order the game knowing they won't reach 10 million. The people that did preorder now have to pay full price, and they make a profit.

Say they do get 10 million pre-orders? That's 10 million dollars. It works out.

#10 Posted by Irvandus (2818 posts) -

@CornishRocker said:

Hey, why not? If they don't reach the goal, the money goes to charity.

#11 Posted by I_smell (3925 posts) -

WELL-- Pretty unanimous that they won't reach it. Assuming these guys are smart though, this is just a marketing thing to get them on blog sites like Kotaku and Destructoid and RockPaperShotgun, which they WOULDN'T have got with just a trailer.

A hundred thousand views for a trailer of a game nobody's ever heard of? That's something thats not supposed to happen, so congrats to these guys.

@ajamafalous said:

The fact that I've never heard of this game before now is the reason that they won't reach ten million.

The fact that you've now heard of this game, is why this was a good idea.

#12 Posted by Brendan (7687 posts) -

What the eh?

#13 Posted by BeachThunder (11689 posts) -

@I_smell said:

@ajamafalous said:

The fact that I've never heard of this game before now is the reason that they won't reach ten million.

The fact that you've now heard of this game, is why this was a good idea.

This is exactly it, although it would have been nice if they set an obtainable goal. 10 million is simply a number that will never ever, ever, ever happen =/

#14 Posted by laserbolts (5311 posts) -

I would be surprised if they hit half a million.

#15 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

@BeachThunder said:

@I_smell said:

@ajamafalous said:

The fact that I've never heard of this game before now is the reason that they won't reach ten million.

The fact that you've now heard of this game, is why this was a good idea.

This is exactly it, although it would have been nice if they set an obtainable goal. 10 million is simply a number that will never ever, ever, ever happen =/

Maybe 1 million would be more suitable? But they probably wouldn't even get that. How much did Minecraft sell?

#16 Edited by I_smell (3925 posts) -

@NekuSakuraba said:

@BeachThunder said:

ve now heard of this game, is why this was a good idea.

This is exactly it, although it would have been nice if they set an obtainable goal. 10 million is simply a number that will never ever, ever, ever happen =/

Maybe 1 million would be more suitable? But they probably wouldn't even get that. How much did Minecraft sell?

Well if it was more achievable then I guess it wouldn't be as good of an idea.

Half the point is that people on the internet love to say "HAHAHA WHAT A BUNCH OF IDIOTS!" so they had to give people something to talk about to get people to link it around, y'know? The point is that they've got people talking about it, and there'd be less to say if it was all pretty sensible.

#17 Posted by BeachThunder (11689 posts) -

@NekuSakuraba said:

@BeachThunder said:

@I_smell said:

@ajamafalous said:

The fact that I've never heard of this game before now is the reason that they won't reach ten million.

The fact that you've now heard of this game, is why this was a good idea.

This is exactly it, although it would have been nice if they set an obtainable goal. 10 million is simply a number that will never ever, ever, ever happen =/

Maybe 1 million would be more suitable? But they probably wouldn't even get that. How much did Minecraft sell?

Wikipedia says 3.7 million.

#18 Posted by monssfisch (45 posts) -

...but I'm pretty sure there aren't 9,999,999 like-minded people.

I think the devs know that too, but with threads like this they've probably doubled the number of people who know / care about this game.

#19 Posted by BeachThunder (11689 posts) -

@I_smell said:

@NekuSakuraba said:

@BeachThunder said:

ve now heard of this game, is why this was a good idea.

This is exactly it, although it would have been nice if they set an obtainable goal. 10 million is simply a number that will never ever, ever, ever happen =/

Maybe 1 million would be more suitable? But they probably wouldn't even get that. How much did Minecraft sell?

Well if it was more achievable then I guess it wouldn't be as good of an idea.

Half the point is that people on the internet love to say "HAHAHA WHAT A BUNCH OF IDIOTS!" so they had to give people something to talk about to get people to link it around, y'know? The point is that they've got people talking about it, and there'd be less to say if it was all pretty sensible.

Yeah, I get what you're saying; even 1 million would be unlikely, but it would at least be a better target though.

Also, if people think the target is somewhat obtainable then they'll be more likely to jump on the preorder bandwagon. I guess it's like Giant Bomb quests, usually the goal is a few thousand, I'm sure most people wouldn't even bother if the goal was 100,000.

#20 Posted by shadows_kill (3165 posts) -

10 million? No way. 1 million for sure. 3 million would be pushing it a little but 10 million is crazy. IF they do it awesome. I will however think about pre-ordering.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.