Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alan Wake

Franchise »

Troubled novelist Alan Wake becomes an unlikely saviour who must battle supernatural evil after he learns there's a very good reason why humans are afraid of the darkness...

Alan Wake 2 is a thing now.

noval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By noval
    DeathByWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Well that's awesome. I loved Alan Wake.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

WHAT

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Alan Wake is one of the most memorable games I've ever played. It occasionally got pretty repetitive, but me and my friends played it and loved a whole lot about it.

I should probably watch those DLC playthroughs some day.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By mike

I wouldn't get your hopes up too much, at least not yet anyway. That is such a vague response, and definitely isn't an announcement. It could be nothing more than something they would like to do at some point in the future. The way that article is worded is really misleading.

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Yes. YES. YESSSSSSS! Guess I should finally get around to playing American Nightmare, lol.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I'd love to play another Alan Wake, but this doesn't really seem all that definitive. I'd wait until they officially announce something before getting excited.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ripelivejam

Isn't there still a good chance quantum break will get delayed at this point? I think we're a ways off, good to hear though if true.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

@mike said:

I wouldn't get your hopes up too much, at least not yet anyway. That is such a vague response, and definitely isn't an announcement. It could be nothing more than something they would like to do at some point in the future. The way that article is worded is really misleading.

Yeah this is where a lot of fans of video games have a disconnect with developers sometimes, and the press don't always compensate for that disconnect.

This could mean they have a working alpha ready to announce soon and launch in 2017. Or this could mean a single artist has a stick figure sketch of Alan Wake with a post-it note that says "More like Twin Peaks". No telling if this is a plan/hope to make Alan Wake 2 or a legitimate game in development.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
    deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is an incredibly misleading headline. Sam Lake has been saying since Quantum Break was announced that they'll make Alan Wake 2 whenever they can get the funding for it. This isn't a confirmation of anything other than the fact that he is still firmly dedicated to getting that game made at some point.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'll believe it when it's released. I'd love another Alan Wake, but I'm not optimistic.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

They said pretty much as soon as Quantum Break got revealed they have plans for Alan Wake 2 but they had to be shelved for now in favor of QB. Pretty sure after they ship that is when we might hear something more concrete.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

Got my hopes up through the roof thinking this was a thread about some announcement... I am back to being a sad panda, albeit a slightly less sad panda.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's hoping if they DO make another Alan Wake game, they can make this one have an ending that isn't incomprehensible.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alan Wakes journey into the night will continue...

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
    deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

I don't believe it - the proof is in the E3 trailer pudding.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

Alan Wake was an interesting premise that was an incredibly repetitive game. The tractor and tornado fights were pretty cool and so was weakening your enemies with a flashlight, but the way you just roamed about a forest to encounter the same canned animation for baddies appearing out of the blue grew increasingly tiresome as the game went on. Some beautiful moments, like the tunnel of light, but I just wish I had more fun actually playing the thing.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

Alan Wake was an interesting premise that was an incredibly repetitive game. The tractor and tornado fights were pretty cool and so was weakening your enemies with a flashlight, but the way you just roamed about a forest to encounter the same canned animation for baddies appearing out of the blue grew increasingly tiresome as the game went on.

The worst part about that was how often they punished you for exploring side trails by having a bunch of dudes spawn behind you. Like, why even give us a couple extra bullets if you're gonna make us use them all on dudes that wouldn't be there otherwise? It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't hide the manuscript pages away in those ambush areas.

If they do another of these games with those mechanics, I hope it's mostly setpieces like that farm "performance", or just way less of it.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Steadying

Alan Wake was a terrible game, but I'd definitely be up for a sequel regardless.

just fucking make sprinting unlimited this time, okay?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Humanity

@teddie: It was constant, and the combat itself was drawn out with the need to train your flashlight on enemies for extended periods of time before you're actually able to fight them. Max Payne can get away with numerous combat encounters back to back because the shooting and dodging were incredibly satisfying. Alan Wake was exciting at first, but by the 200th shadow enemy you've had to "look at" while intermittently scrambling away with that awkward shuffle dodge as others tried to interrupt the puppet show, the whole song and dance became very tiring.

Frybird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Frybird

Cool, i like Remedy's Games a lot and had much fun with AW

i was worried that they would've made American Wasteland the actual ending, so now it's exciting to see the possibility of an actual conclusion.

(EDIT: Oh wait, should've read more...)

Quicklyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, getting too excited about the word "yes" is probably a little presumptuous. But I certainly would give a random internal organ of Remedy's choosing for Alan Wake 2. The music and tone from the first was so good. If MS hasn't locked down this exclusive yet they are crazy.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I wouldn't get my hopes up. However I am excited for dinosaurs in Quantum Break.

Frybird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@random45 said:

Here's hoping if they DO make another Alan Wake game, they can make this one have an ending that isn't incomprehensible.

Eh, it's not that complicated if you avoid getting stuck on details and eventual plotholes of that and accept the metaness of it all.

Long Story short:

The "Dark Presence" thing can make fictional stuff real and forced Alan to write a story so it can spread. Alan did so but managed to write himself an escape and (via retconning his past) a means to fight the Dark Presence.

The Problem is that the fictional stuff that becomes real still has to follow an internal logic and the style of the genre it's written in. As such, although Alan defeats the Dark Presence and keeps it from spreading, he cannot safe his wife unless he sacrifices himself. So he saves his wife and returns to the evil limbo ish space he written his story in and escaped to continue writing so he may find another way for himself out.

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

This announcement is just a Night Springs 2 announcement mascaraing as a video game.

totsboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Nice! Gotta play that DLC now.

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@falconer said:

Yes. YES. YESSSSSSS! Guess I should finally get around to playing American Nightmare, lol.

American Nightmare doesn't really add a lot plotwise. It has a neat moment or two but it's almost entirely just more combat.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By VierasTalo
    JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As soon as Quantum Break was announced they basically said Alan Wake 2 was happening afterwards. I don't see a reason to freak out until footage/release date since we already know Remedy is probably going to do Alan Wake 2.

eladren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't not love Sam Lake, i'm onboard anything that he does next, be it Alan Wake 2 or some low budget claymation series.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ArtisanBreads

That video was good. I am a huge fan of Lake and Remedy Games in general.

@friendlyphoenix said:

This is an incredibly misleading headline. Sam Lake has been saying since Quantum Break was announced that they'll make Alan Wake 2 whenever they can get the funding for it. This isn't a confirmation of anything other than the fact that he is still firmly dedicated to getting that game made at some point.

Yeah pretty much. He has said they have worked on concept stuff for it is well. Plus more. He needs to campaign to make the game a bit.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: I don't agree that the tornado was good. It's been a while, but I remember just lobbing a few flash grenades into a black vortex.

For a game who's single mechanic was shooting things(all right, also driving things), the fights were just tedious. Hardly any enemy variety, hardly any bosses, hardly any weapon variety. I've heard American Nightmare improved on it, but frankly I didn't want to give their system another go.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike said:

I totally agree with what @mike said, but boy oh boy do I hope this ends up being true. I love that game.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope this is true. I really liked Alan Wake and would love for it to get a sequel.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redhotchilimist: oh it wasn't good, none of the combat was especially good or engaging, but it was a cool spectacle.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@humanity: I agree with you on the combat in that game. That is what held it back to me. I found the story to be pretty good if not quite Max Payne levels of good (a high bar, for me) but the combat was boring pretty early then kept going with little being added or switched up.

I would hope they could make big changes there if they keep going.

Personally I'm more into Quantum Break already than Alan Wake given the first game and I don't mind seeing Remedy do something new. But I bet they could do a great job with an Alan Wake sequel.

chu52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

I would love to see more episodic stuff like American Nightmare. You were playing a literal Night Springs episode where the characters in the story slowly realized they were a tv show and going through repeats.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: yah Quantum Break is one of the 3 games that I'm trying to use as a justification for buying an XB1 this Xmas. I really like the way it looks, I mean who knows how it will play, but man I do love games with fancy time gimmicks.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would like Alan wake 2 to be open world I know people are getting sick of open world games but to me it could help the series. Alan Wake was a great game but the combat was so repetitive I think if they added open world it would add more variety to the game which the first game was missing. Some people may not know this but originally Alan Wake was suppose to be open world.

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Yes, please. Back to the woods!

Loading Video...

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A good Alan Wake game would make me get an Xbox One, that's for sure.

vampire_chibi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully it will be without any combat.

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

please come to pc. played the first one like three times.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jec03: I agree, actually. It's mostly because of the thematic similarities, but I would want it to be more Deadly Premonition and less corridor shooter. Between everyone's faces being so ugly and the characters not having a lot of time to get together and talk, the story didn't end up so hot. But if they did mix in calm open world bits with character interaction in a small town, the combat would be more bearable and the characters would get more time on the screen.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Between everyone's faces being so ugly and the characters not having a lot of time to get together and talk, the story didn't end up so hot. But if they did mix in calm open world bits with character interaction in a small town, the combat would be more bearable and the characters would get more time on the screen.

Totally agree, my favourite parts of Alan Wake were the little interludes between the combat sections where you just rand around and interacted with some of the characters (The Diner at the beginning, or the Lodge with Hartmann). Every time it wasn't night, basically.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

this thread title sucks

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.