Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alan Wake

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released May 14, 2010

When famous novelist Alan Wake goes on vacation with his wife Alice, he has no idea that the idyllic town of Bright Falls will soon be the site of a terrible battle between light and dark that could threaten everything, even Wake's own sanity.

Anyone else notice the inconsistent visuals?

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By PillClinton

So, I'm almost done with Alan Wake, and am really enjoying the gameplay, combat, and, of course, the moody atmosphere (I've literally only played it at night, with the lights off, and headphones on), but I just can't seem to ignore how jarringly inconsistent this game's visuals are.  The lighting is jaw-dropping at points, and the level of detail on Wake's jacket/ hoody combo is amazing, but there's also an absurd amount of artifacting, low-res textures, and screen tearing.  The artifacting especially bugs me.  It's sometimes difficult to stay immersed in the atmosphere when you're constantly seeing artifacting on almost anything that's more than 100 meters away.  

Has anyone else noticed this?

EDIT:  Also, on another note, the switching of the camera orientation and having to constantly click-in the right stick really annoys me too.  Alan Wake's camera is by far the most left/right switch-happy camera I've ever seen in a game.  Mr. Davis seems to agree as well. 

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Diamond

Artifacting?  You talking about the blockyness you see in the distance?

But yea the game had a fair amount of graphical flaws.

eagles_band

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By eagles_band

I agree, visuals are very inconsistent. Most reviews highlighted the visuals as being spectacular, but I'm not that impressed, and I don't see anything special going on with the lighting either. Going from RDR to AW, the 2 don't really compare. I am inclined to continue to play AW just to see what happens tho. 

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By pweidman

Yeah I'm  seeing it but it doesn't detract unless you focus on it myopic style,lol.  Overall the gameplay and the story are keeping  me mesmorized...hell just trying to keep up w/the convoluted storyline is hard enough :-p.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By GunstarRed

It looks pretty weak during the daytime sections and the biggest issue I had with the visuals was the facial/hand movements. The night sections which make up the vast majority of the game look really good though.
    davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By davidwitten22

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.