Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alan Wake

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released May 14, 2010

When famous novelist Alan Wake goes on vacation with his wife Alice, he has no idea that the idyllic town of Bright Falls will soon be the site of a terrible battle between light and dark that could threaten everything, even Wake's own sanity.

The Alan Wake Files (SPOILER HEAVY)

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By jakob187

For those of you who bought the Collector's Edition, you happened to get a book with it called The Alan Wake Files, which claims to be compiled by Clay Steward.  For those who didn't get a Collector's Edition, sucks to be you, as it's a great read.  The book gives a ton of details about characters in the story, as well as a look at the aftermath of the events from Alan Wake...and moreover, it brings up more questions. 

I'm going to be the nice guy for some of you folks and throw out these tidbits, as I think reading this book really changes some of the perspective that story elements in the game play out. 

1. How many of you actually ever asked yourselves "why is an FBI agent after Alan Wake"?  What's even better is that...when you've read The Alan Wake Files, you find out that Nightingale wasn't there on official business at all.  The FBI didn't send him to Bright Falls.  It is led to believe that Nightingale was having dreams much the same way that Alan and Clay were having dreams which led them to Bright Falls.
    2. The matter of Diver's Isle sinking:  Barbara Jagger died on July 11, 1970...and the volcanic quake that sunk Diver's Isle was July 20, 1970.  Now, that might lead folks to believe that Barbara Jagger caused it once she was embraced by the darkness of Cauldron Lake.  However, the book points out that strange things have been happening in and around Cauldron Lake since as early 1850.  It's also pointed out that volcanic quakes have happened regularly in Bright Falls.  There are reports of Sasquatch and such, but particularly , there are accounts of shadow men throughout the whole time frame.
    3. The "author" of the book, Clay Steward, was having dreams about a lighthouse and a man who were leading him into the lighthouse.  This mimics the beginning of the game itself.  However, in Clay's dreams, the man leading him into the lighthouse was Alan Wake, and both died at the end of each.
    4. Nightingale had a number of interviews with townfolk during the events of Alan Wake.  Two of the most interesting interviews come from Rose after the incident with Barbara, Alan, and Barry in the trailer...as well as an interview with Pat Maine, the radio DJ.  In the interview with Rose, she starts out lucid and out of it like she had been throughout the rest of the game after what happened.  Eventually, Rose begins to break down crying and realizes exactly what has happened.  She also continues to talk about how she can't be in the daylight anymore, that it hurts her eyes, and asks why it is so dark.  There is a common thread going through the book that leads the belief that Rose is the new "lady of the light".  In the interview with Pat Maine, however, it would seem that both Pat and Nightingale have their own secrets that they know about the events that have been occurring.  Sadly, nothing comes out of it, and it leads to them basically having a tete-a-tete.
    5. The people of Bright Falls don't like Nightingale, and they distrust him greatly.
    6. Apparently, the writing that lights up all around town to let you know where crates are and such...you know, the stuff that Cynthia Weaver wrote around town...was there before Alan ever showed up.  This would lead one to believe that Alan coming to Bright Falls and doing all of this was predetermined.
    7. Alan has a police record, with a past that includes a trend of battery and assault.
    8. At the end of the game, an obviously possessed Alan states "it's not a lake, it's an ocean".  One thing the book also points out is that there are other occurrences in other states that mimic those of Bright Falls.
    9. Nightingale is deeply affected by the loss of his partner, long before the events occurring here.  It's brought up a couple of times in his own personal journals found in this book.
    10. When Clay Steward asks the FBI formally for information about Nightingale, the FBI send him a letter back stating that they cannot give up any information due to an "ongoing investigation", as well as not knowing anything about the whereabouts of Nightingale.
    11. There is an obituary for Barbara Jagger in the book, and it's quite interesting.  It shows that Barbara was an incredibly generous and kind person, that she was always very forthgoing towards people, and that she was a very capable swimmer.  This goes completely against the grain of what Cynthia Weaver had to say about her.  Moreover, it points out that no foul play was expected, although Barbara Jagger drowned.  It also mentions, of course, that she was survived by her companion, Thomas Zane.

Those are only a handful of the things this book brings up.  I haven't actually delved into the Fiction part, which features portions from two of Alan Wake's pieces of work, as well as the portion in the Non-Fiction section that deals with Dr. Hartman's book, The Creator's Dilemma. 

Overall, it's been an interesting read.  The most interesting thing of all, however, is that the townsfolk around Bright Falls are apparently going through mourning when Clay arrives (remember, this is written AFTER the events of the game).  In turn, there is a funeral or wake or something going on at the time he gets there and tries to interview people and such.  He spoke with Sarah Breaker at one point apparently.  Overall, none of the townsfolk will talk about what happened, but Clay points out that it's not because they don't want it.  According to how he saw it, it's like they weren't ALLOWED to, as if something were hanging over them saying "if you say anything about what has happened, there will be more deaths". 

If anyone has questions about stuff, or if you want to theorize about things between the game and this book, then by all means - let's converse!!!
    thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By thatfrood

Wow this is pretty cool, I love Alan Wake dearly but sadly I do not own the Collector's Edition. I didn't even know about this book! Thanks for posting this info, though.

MasterKickface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By MasterKickface
    @jakob187 said:   

3.  The "author" of the book, Clay Steward, was having dreams about a lighthouse and a man who were leading him into the lighthouse.  This mimics the beginning of the game itself.  However, in Clay's dreams, the man leading him into the lighthouse was Alan Wake, and both died at the end of each.

The author Clay Steward is actually in the very beginning of the game.  He is the guy who is killed by the axe murderer in the dream sequence.  So  you are correct, Alan and Clay are having the same exact dream.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By jakob187
    @MasterKickface: See, I have to play through the game again to see how much of this runs correctly with the stuff in the book.  The moment that I read they had the same dream, I got super curious about the beginning of the game all over again. 

Also, forgot to mention this:  in the Afterword of the book, Clay mentions that he left Bright Falls after all his investigating, making a lot of sacrifices with his own personal life.  He searched for his wife and child for almost a year after she left him because he went to Bright Falls.  He eventually found them, and he now works in a university library.  The book ends with him saying that his wife and child are his everlasting light, and that he now walks in light.  Very nice ending.  =  D
    MasterKickface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MasterKickface
    For anyone else that wants to know how the book connects with the game, here is a pretty good article about how the book clears up some of the confusion from the end of the game. http://resumeplay.net/home/2010/5/24/the-alan-wake-files-shedding-light-on-the-games-mysteries.html .   Just a warning, it is about the ending of the game, so don't read until you have finished the game.  (PS I have to thank arkadysmile for the link above, he posted it in a different thread earlier and I found it very interesting.) 

On another note, was anyone else surprised how good the short pieces of Alan Wake's fiction were in the book?   I mean if you had told me the first story "Errand Boy" was by Stephen King early in his career, I would have believed you without question.  Not the best short stories ever by any means, but surprising good for what they were. 

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Arkthemaniac

AAAAH, SPOILERS!!!!!

FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By FirePrince

And on point 6-that's told to you by her,that she wrote all those things to help somebody in need. 
    Also,it's getting really convoluted.Bright Falls(or the darkness) is apparently using authors to it's own needs,as stated by the author of this book you read.Wouldn't this create a endless loop?Author after Author facing the darkness and then becoming the new "guide" for the next one? 
    Also,the most interesting fact is the one that Rose might be the new lady of the light.If my memories are correct,at the end of the game she is sitting near Nightingale holding the exact same lamp as Cynthia Weaver did,while Alan spouts out random bullshit.

Killa_Jo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Killa_Jo

@MasterKickface said:

" @jakob187 said:   

3.  The "author" of the book, Clay Steward, was having dreams about a lighthouse and a man who were leading him into the lighthouse.  This mimics the beginning of the game itself.  However, in Clay's dreams, the man leading him into the lighthouse was Alan Wake, and both died at the end of each.

The author Clay Steward is actually in the very beginning of the game.  He is the guy who is killed by the axe murderer in the dream sequence.  So  you are correct, Alan and Clay are having the same exact dream. "
    here is the video 
    mikesira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By mikesira
    @jakob187:   I didn't get CE so thanks for that summary on the book.

"...when you've read The Alan Wake Files, you find out that Nightingale wasn't there on official business at all." 

I also think that agent Nightingale wasn't there on official business but it's strange to me why did he have backup from the bureau if they don't even know were he is.

@FirePrince:   

Also,the most interesting fact is the one that Rose might be the new lady of the light.If my memories are correct,at the end of the game she is sitting near Nightingale holding the exact same lamp as Cynthia Weaver  

That's exactly what a thought but if the book says "Eventually, Rose begins to break down crying and realizes exactly what has happened.  She also continues to talk about how she can't be in the daylight anymore, that it hurts her eyes, and asks why it is so dark." why is she outside?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.