Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Aliens: Colonial Marines

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Feb 12, 2013

A first-person shooter set in the Alien universe. The player is part of a search-and-rescue team sent out to search for the missing USCM team last seen in Aliens.

Gearbox blaming Sega for everything

• 55 results
    geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Thanks SEGA.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

@legion_ said:

@starvinggamer said:

@legion_ said:

@starvinggamer: Well, yeah. If he had any moral backbone, he wouldn't prance around lying to his customers. There's just no denying that both parties are at fault here.

That's naieve. Whether or not both parties are at fault here is irrelevant. If it really was a directive from Sega to push marketing in that direction then Randy's hands were tied. You'll find that not many contracts have morality clauses.

No, his hands weren't tied at all. And it's not irrelevant, because the it's the very topic we're discussing. Fact of the matter is that both parties knowingly misled their fans and their customers. It's a bad move. Still, I don't get how anyone could think this game would be any good, but that's another topic.

It's completely irrelevant to the point I'm trying to make. Sega were the paymasters in this business relationship. What do you do when you tell an employee to do something and they do the exact opposite? You fire them. Only, when you're dealing with large companies and multi-million dollar projects, you don't just fire them. You sue them for breach of contract, and Sega would win because, like I said, I'll bet there was no morality clause. So you tell me, choosing between towing the line and hoping the game turned out in the end, or putting his company and all 187 of its employees at risk in order to satisfy your standards for "moral backbone", in what way here his hands not tied?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

That's about all I have to say on this. Gearbox always promises the world and delivers way less than that.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@legion_ said:

@starvinggamer said:

@legion_ said:

@starvinggamer: Well, yeah. If he had any moral backbone, he wouldn't prance around lying to his customers. There's just no denying that both parties are at fault here.

That's naieve. Whether or not both parties are at fault here is irrelevant. If it really was a directive from Sega to push marketing in that direction then Randy's hands were tied. You'll find that not many contracts have morality clauses.

No, his hands weren't tied at all. And it's not irrelevant, because the it's the very topic we're discussing. Fact of the matter is that both parties knowingly misled their fans and their customers. It's a bad move. Still, I don't get how anyone could think this game would be any good, but that's another topic.

It's completely irrelevant to the point I'm trying to make. Sega were the paymasters in this business relationship. What do you do when you tell an employee to do something and they do the exact opposite? You fire them. Only, when you're dealing with large companies and multi-million dollar projects, you don't just fire them. You sue them for breach of contract, and Sega would win because, like I said, I'll bet there was no morality clause. So you tell me, choosing between towing the line and hoping the game turned out in the end, or putting his company and all 187 of its employees at risk in order to satisfy your standards for "moral backbone", in what way here his hands not tied?

Sega is far from Randy Pitchford's employer, but for the sake of your argument, fine. What would you do if your employer, let's say a large bank, was under the loop for fraud, and they told you to lie under oath in a court of law? I wouldn't do that. Because I have morals.

As for suing Gearbox for a breach of contract, that wouldn't happen either. Sega would be liable because they told a hired contractor to do false advertising, which is illegal. The bottom line is that both Sega and Gearbox were hoping to make money on misled customers, but the whole thing blew up in their faces, and now they're playing the blame game.

They both fucked up. They both deserve to get royally fucked for their behavior.

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Colonial Marines, Duke Nukem Forever... Have Gearbox actually made a good game?

The Half-Life expansions, the wonderful PC port of Halo, Brothers in Arms, and the Borderlands games.

Also, they seem to be doing right by the Homeworld IP so far, handing it off to the original developers (who were in development of a "spiritual successor" to Homeworld than can now just be a proper Homeworld game). And instead of rushing to capitalize on Borderlands every year with a next-gen BL3, they're taking a risk with a new IP (Battleborne), which developers aren't doing enough these days.

Honestly, while I definitely didn't think Colonial Marines was a great game, I think Gearbox gets a whole heck of a lot more crap than it deserves. Of the games it has had a hand in releasing (including an Aliens game that was actually OK: Aliens: Infestation developed by Wayforward), there have been far more hits than misses, especially if you take out Duke Nukem Forever as something they had almost no control over.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

I dunno that sounds fair to me. If gearbox funded Aliens development, they should obviously get money back.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.