Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alpha Protocol

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released May 27, 2010

Control rogue agent Michael Thorton as he tries to unearth an international conspiracy in the near future (where everybody seems to have a hidden agenda or two) in this third-person action RPG.

The Right Way To Play

andriv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By andriv

I just saw this game for pretty cheap and after listening to the podcast I decided to get it tomorrow. 
    I remember them talking about this before but can't remember what they said.  What is the right way to play this game?

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Well I just started playing but I'm loving it with the stealth/pistol/martial arts combo. Can't remember the name of the class, might be Field Agent or something similar?

Just read through Jeff's review and am stunned. It's like he thought he was playing Gears of Bore 3 or something?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @GunslingerPanda said:
    " Well I just started playing but I'm loving it with the stealth/pistol/martial arts combo. Can't remember the name of the class, might be Field Agent or something similar?  Just read through Jeff's review and am stunned. It's like he thought he was playing Gears of Bore 3 or something? "
    The game does have issues. It was way to based on dice rolls. There are bugs you will encounter later on. It is fun when you JUST start playing but the dice roll stuff will ware on your nerves. 
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Jadeskye

Can't go wrong with stealth/pistol/awareness/martial arts. i played through alpha protocol 3 times with this arrangement.

GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By GunslingerPanda
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @GunslingerPanda said:
    " Well I just started playing but I'm loving it with the stealth/pistol/martial arts combo. Can't remember the name of the class, might be Field Agent or something similar?  Just read through Jeff's review and am stunned. It's like he thought he was playing Gears of Bore 3 or something? "
    The game does have issues. It was way to based on dice rolls. There are bugs you will encounter later on. It is fun when you JUST start playing but the dice roll stuff will ware on your nerves.  "
    I was fully expecting dice-rolls though, it's an RPG. Not looking forward to the bugs though. I think I'm on the last Saudi mission, or at least I've done the first three and have unlocked a fourth.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @GunslingerPanda said:

" @The_Laughing_Man said:

" @GunslingerPanda said:
    The game does have issues. It was way to based on dice rolls. There are bugs you will encounter later on. It is fun when you JUST start playing but the dice roll stuff will ware on your nerves.  "
    I was fully expecting dice-rolls though, it's an RPG. Not looking forward to the bugs though. I think I'm on the last Saudi mission, or at least I've done the first three and have unlocked a fourth. "
    Dirce rolls as in youll have a head shot lined up and fully miss and botch a mission cause some unseen dice said so.  

Also the stealth tree is overpowered because of the skills you get later on. 
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By GunslingerPanda
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @GunslingerPanda said:

" @The_Laughing_Man said:

" @GunslingerPanda said:
    I was fully expecting dice-rolls though, it's an RPG. Not looking forward to the bugs though. I think I'm on the last Saudi mission, or at least I've done the first three and have unlocked a fourth. "
    Dirce rolls as in youll have a head shot lined up and fully miss and botch a mission cause some unseen dice said so.   Also the stealth tree is overpowered because of the skills you get later on.  "
    Don't kill my enthusiasm, damn you!
    A_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By A_Dog

You mainly need to unlock the chain shot, it makes the boss battles really easy.  

andriv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By andriv
    @ryanrulez: what is the best way to spend skill points or exp or what ever this game has?   

Please don't change this thread into good/bad thread.  I just want to know what is the best way to play this game and i doubt I am the only one.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @andriv said:
    " @ryanrulez: what is the best way to spend skill points or exp or what ever this game has?    Please don't change this thread into good/bad thread.  I just want to know what is the best way to play this game and i doubt I am the only one. "
    Just go all stealth.  

That makes the game easy. you'll get a skill that cloaks you and you can run up behind people for an entire room and just knock em out. 
    AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By AlexW00d

I shoved everything into Pistol, Stealth, and Martial Arts (or whatever it calls it) 
    But yeah, play it like an RPG, not like a third person shooter.

Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By Stahlbrand

I played through the first time with an unarmed/stealth build, with some toughness on the side.  I probably shot less than a dozen people with firearms (a few more with mounted guns of course).  I found taking stealth seriously and getting visceral sneaking melee kills to be very rewarding.

I also beat it with a completely non-stealth shotgun + grenade character.  This too worked, but some boss fights took a great deal more ammo than I would have thought after fisting them to death the playthrough before.

Both techniques de-emphasize the aiming issues, but I played about 25% of the game with a pistol/stealth character and found it to be pretty do-able.   I just moved on to a different game after a while - lots of stuff to play right now.\

Steam tells me I played for 37 hours.  In that time I experienced no show-stopping bugs or crashes, no serious glitches of any kind, and only some unimportant graphics weirdness in zoomed-out shots in cutscenes, as well as temporary-but-annoying mouse-jerk when the game wrote a checkpoint.  My computer well exceedes the requirements.

Play it and enjoy.  Put points in tech (or was it sabotage) to get the option to EMP-bypass hacking minigames if they annoy you, even if you don't mean to fill out that tree.  I got the hang of hacking and bypass minigames as I went on, but at first I was like "FU#% THAT", so stick in there, it makes sense eventually.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Jimbo

I don't think it's a case of only one build working exactly, just don't try and force it to become a TPS.  Use the guns as tools/abilities to solve the situation you're in, rather than just going in shooting and trying to wing it.  

I never really felt cheated that the bullets didn't go exactly dead center of the cross-hair because "Hurr a secret agent would be able to make that shoteasily IRL" or whatever - the gameplay is more abstract than that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.