Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Apotheon

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Feb 03, 2015

A 2D action game with RPG elements, set in the world of Greek mythology.

Go! Go! GOTY! '15 ~Day Nineteen~ (Apotheon)

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

Edited By Mento  Moderator

Day Nineteen

No Caption Provided
    • Game: Apotheon (Alientrap).
    • Release Month: February.
    • Source: The Steam Explorer Sale.
    • Quick Look: Here. (Drew/Brad)
    • Started: 15/12.

I haven't given up on Apotheon yet, which should at least tell you something about its comparative strengths and weaknesses. I do still find its combat a bacchanal tangle of oily limbs and pointy objects, and I'm still not enamored with its endurance-based weapon system and the frequent necessity to replace weapons - even the rare, powerful ones - every few minutes because you absentmindedly used the mighty Forge Hammer of Hephaestus to open one too many crates for their handfuls of loose drachma and potion reagents until it shattered, like divine artifacts are known to do.

However, I don't dislike Apotheon. I think its presentation is top-notch, some animation roughness aside, and I'm beginning to appreciate how varied it is now that I've (almost) completed three of its scenarios. While Apollo - the one deity I'd managed to slay as of yesterday - was a classic "get dropped in the dungeon, make your way out, recover all your equipment, sabotage some defenses and take down the boss" scenario, the ventures into the underworld of Hades and the forest of Artemis have been decidedly different. One involved four specialized obstacle courses, each with their own theme, while the other presented a wide-open area within which you're meant to complete a set of objectives. There's a limit to how much you can diversify missions in a 2D action-platformer game like this, but I admire that the game's taking steps to vary it up as frequently as it can. That's true for the color schemes too: because the intro, the hub areas of Mt. Olympus and Apollo's Palace all had the same bronze and black color scheme, I had assumed the same was true for the rest of the game. Hades, in fact, has a very melancholy blue and gray palette while Artemis's lush forests have a decidedly viridian hue.

The River of Fire, Phlegethon, required a frantic chase up the level before the flames could reach you, hitting switches to open doors along the way. I can't say all the particle effects in Hades did my framerate any favors though. My PC might be older than the mythology this game is based on.
    The River of Fire, Phlegethon, required a frantic chase up the level before the flames could reach you, hitting switches to open doors along the way. I can't say all the particle effects in Hades did my framerate any favors though. My PC might be older than the mythology this game is based on.

I do think its mapping could use some tweaking. For one, areas in the dark do not appear on the map, even if you were to pass through them with a lit torch or some other means of illuminating the darkness. This makes determining where you are, where you've been or where there's still left to check nigh impossible. Platforms are often missing from the map despite being there clear as day, maybe even being stood upon while perusing the map, and it often feels like the map graphics were based on an earlier version of the game's actual environment.

Apotheon really just continues like that. Every strength has a flaw; every weakness has its charm. A comment left on yesterday's blog called Apotheon the quintessential three-star game and I'd have to agree, though I don't concur with their second observation about it being an immediately forgettable game. I will certainly remember Apotheon after tomorrow, whether or not I manage to complete it within the three day limit, but in the same partition of my brain that contains something like Remember Me: a game that is ambitious, visually and stylistically distinctive and more or less competently made but with just one too many ideas that didn't pan out the way anyone would hope.

There's a platform right there above the stairs. I can see it. You display the arches underneath but not this?
    There's a platform right there above the stairs. I can see it. You display the arches underneath but not this?

Still have one day left to change my mind though. See you tomorrow.

< Back to the Go! Go! GOTY 2015 Contents Page

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.