Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Axiom Verge

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Mar 31, 2015

A sidescrolling action-adventure that takes inspiration from Super Metroid and other "Metroidvania" games. The player controls Trace, a scientist who finds himself in a strange and hostile world.

Is this game coming out for the PC?

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

I want this game, I've only got a Laptop and an XboxOne/ Wii U. I have read that this is supposed to be coming out for PC but haven't been able to find anything beyond that. Does anyone know whether or not they plan for a PC release?

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

I'm pretty sure its been announced for PC but no date planned, some exclusivity period for the PS people

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Last I heard the PC version was due out in May.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@mb said:

It's June, actually. Sony blocked the game from being released on PC at the same time as on PS4 by contract. The Vita version is delayed indefinitely due to "dev issues".

SkipperSonne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

^ damn

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Zirilius

@joeyravn said:

@mb said:

It's June, actually. Sony blocked the game from being released on PC at the same time as on PS4 by contract. The Vita version is delayed indefinitely due to "dev issues".

I think it's less a contractual issue and more the fact that it's one freaking guy working on this as a side project.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8  Edited By Dan_CiTi

honestly the real question is where is the remake of Shadow Complex inside of the latest Unreal Engine for PC now that it is a free and better platform, please.

I'll probably buy this now for PS4 then get a Steam sale version of it later because this seems like something that will be dirt cheap down the road and I want to support it.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By mike

@joeyravn said:

@mb said:

It's June, actually. Sony blocked the game from being released on PC at the same time as on PS4 by contract.

Do you have a source for that? I mean I've heard the rumor that it was a period of timed exclusivity for Sony, but never saw any actual confirmation from the developer that this was the case. I haven't been following this game that closely, though.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zirilius: nah, the game was initially being developed for PC only and then sony got into the mix, this is 100% exclusivity BS.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@dan_citi said:

honestly the real question is where is the remake of Shadow Complex inside of the latest Unreal Engine for PC now that it is a free and better platform, please.

I'll probably buy this now for PS4 then get a Steam sale version of it later because this seems like something that will be dirt cheap down the road and I want to support it.

Maybe Chair are working on a sequel now that the Inifinity Blade series concluded unless they're going to make more iOS games because they made bank.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb said:

@joeyravn said:

@mb said:

It's June, actually. Sony blocked the game from being released on PC at the same time as on PS4 by contract.

Do you have a source for that? I mean I've heard the rumor that it was a period of timed exclusivity for Sony, but never saw any actual confirmation from the developer that this was the case. I haven't been following this game that closely, though.

He's got no source. The developer himself has spoken a lot about the pubfund and the development, most recently on a stream with Danny during GDC. He made it clear that he's releasing versions as they finish, so the Vita one waits for a while and even if the insane amount of testing required for PC release was ready right at this moment Sony would definitely not be cool with a simultaneous release.

June PC makes sense.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@somejerk: Pub Fund deals do typically have a period of PlayStation exclusivity, but then, the dev has also talked about how the Pub Fund deal enabled him to work on the game full time and actually get it finished, after (4?) years of working on it has a hobby project. If he'd continued working at the original pace, the game would be several years away still.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Has anyone heard about release dates in regions outside US? I can't see the game listed on PSN store in Australia.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BlackLagoon

@dgtlty: It's comming with the store update on Wednesday.

Dimi3je

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Dimi3je
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spagooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1 or 2 months? I can live with that :D

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

@joeyravn: @onarum:

Contracts are signed by two parties.

If you're mad the game is PS exclusive you should be just as mad at the developer as you are at Sony. No one put a gun to his head. Games come out all the time that aren't exclusive, regardless of budget.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By onarum

@geraltitude: I didn't say I was mad at anyone, just saying that paying for having a game come later in other platforms or not at all is BS, which it is.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Well great. I was all excited to get the game on Vita, but, uh, okay then. I guess I'll wait for PC?

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By GERALTITUDE

@onarum: So a guy who has been working on a game for four years completely in his overtime makes a deal with Sony wherein they pay for development so he can focus on the game entirely and the one catch is that they get 1-2 months of exclusivity and you think that's BS?

Cool. I really hope your world view comes to pass. Then games like Axiom Verge (or say Mass Effect, or SFV, for example) can potentially never come out at all. Yep, sure sounds better. :D

Personally I've never felt I had some right to play everything instantly on release, and just don't get that attitude at all. Why do you feel like that? It's just a little time and it is for a good reason.

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Junkboy

I'm with Geraltitude, I'd rather him get paid to finish the game and we get it now with a bit of time exclusivity vs him saying no to Sony and then continuing to develop it for the next couple of years in his spare time just so it's released on all platforms at the same time.

I would say that with the hunger PS4 gamers have for great games it's way better for him to release it now than a year or two down the line when (I hope to god) devs and publishers have gotten their shit together and we have many more competent games for him to compete with.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geraltitude: Did Sony help with development? I said that "paying for having a game come later in other platforms or not at all" is the BS part, if Sony actually funded the entire thing then it's a whole different matter, but I don't think they did.

Again just to clarify, I'm talking about handing out a wad of cash with the exclusive intent of having it come out first for your platform and later (or never) for other ones, sounds like this guy was well on his way on creating the game and would have released on steam first no problem, then Sony came into the picture and lo and behold, PS4 first.

I don't think this is a bayonetta 2 like situation, it would have happened had sony interfered or not, I don't blame the dude for taking the cash though.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onarum said:

@geraltitude: Did Sony help with development? I said that "paying for having a game come later in other platforms or not at all" is the BS part, if Sony actually funded the entire thing then it's a whole different matter, but I don't think they did.

Again just to clarify, I'm talking about handing out a wad of cash with the exclusive intent of having it come out first for your platform and later (or never) for other ones, sounds like this guy was well on his way on creating the game and would have released on steam first no problem, then Sony came into the picture and lo and behold, PS4 first.

I don't think this is a bayonetta 2 like situation, it would have happened had sony interfered or not, I don't blame the dude for taking the cash though.

They definitely didn't pay for the whole thing, but pub fund is basically the holy grail for indie devs, if you don't care about timed exclusives.

You get

- money, to work on your game
    - keep your IP (used to be a bigger deal than it is now)
    - help
    - marketing

Guacamelee! is an example of a Pub Fund game. In return for all this Sony has your game as a timed exclusive.

Basically this guy was able to actually leave his job and work on the game full time. So yeah, it could have come out without Sony, theoretically (he may or may not have given up, impossible to know). I think that you're thinking about this from a pretty evil angle - which DOES exist - but not at this level. Sony didn't throw down cash to keep this game from going to other platforms. They have many publishing deals and pub fund is just one of them. I mean yeah, it looks cool and every game counts but that shit is played at the higher level. Destiny DLC for Sony. Tomb Raider for MS. Dragon Age DLC for MS. In those cases literally all that is happening is a platform holder saying: Don't put this out elsewhere for X time and we'll give you Y dollars and name drop you at Z event. In the case of Axiom Verge it really does just feel like a fair business deal to me. Sony's timed exclusive here is to help ensure they make the money back that they spent on Axiom Verge. Axiom Verge dev in return gets to not go crazy, and gets a marketing boost that will ultimately positively affect his PC/Xbox sales in the future. Seems win/win to me?

Maybe I'm too close to the subject but I've weighing my own possible paths right now (pub funds, traditional publishers) and as a broke guy in this position the Axiom Verge deal sounds awesome. It just bums me out to think a bunch of people will think I'm an ass because I give a platform a small window of exclusivity.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@onarum said:

If I were an indie developer making a game in my own time and some multinational corporation came up to me and said "hey, we think your game looks cool, we'll give you a big wad of cash so you can finish it if you'll release it on our platform first and hold it back from others for a little while", I'd say, "fuck yeah, that's a pretty sweet deal! I can quit my day job and do what I love!" Very few people get such an opportunity. Not to mention that, as @joshwent pointed out, Thomas Happ gets to keep his IP, gets some marketing, and gets some help from Sony.

Or are you just angry about the concept of console exclusivity in the first place? That's a silly stance to take, consoles live and die on their exclusivity. If they didn't, why wouldn't everyone just buy a PS4 and then never touch an Xbox? Or vice versa?

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: @geraltitude:

Heh dudes, I'm not mad ;), I was just saying that I think paying for exclusivity is BS, funding a game(helping with marketing and everything) is a different matter of course and you all make great points on why it's of much benefit to the developer, so yeah sure I mean, I would have done the same if I was on his shoes(very awesome that he gets to keep the IP).

But I still think that paying for exclusivity is BS :P

Dryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What time today is Axiom Verge available? Or am I just missing something?

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dryker: It's on PSN right now but the discount hasn't applied yet.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not to mention that, as @joshwent pointed out, Thomas Happ gets to keep his IP, gets some marketing, and gets some help from Sony.

Well, I guess I probably would have pointed that out, but I haven't posted at all in this thread. I think you meant to credit another duder. ;)

Dryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redyoshi: Well, let's see...okay, it is, but for some reason you can't purchase it from the Spring Fever icon for the game. I had to "search" it, and then I could purchase it. Plus, the discount gets applied as soon as you put it in your cart.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@joshwent said:

@believer258 said:

Not to mention that, as @joshwent pointed out, Thomas Happ gets to keep his IP, gets some marketing, and gets some help from Sony.

Well, I guess I probably would have pointed that out, but I haven't posted at all in this thread. I think you meant to credit another duder. ;)

I somehow got you and @geraltitude mixed up. How the fuck did I do that?

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: well, that's hilarious (how did you do that?). Our names are pretty close I guess :D

@onarum: haha alright, I'm with you on the point that paying for exclusivity sucks, but I don't think exclusivity as part of a deal which benefits the developer and game is bad thing at all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.