4 stars 4/5 Stars Average score of 2 user reviews spread across 4 releases and 0 DLC

Metroidvania is a Dumb Word. Axiom Verge Review 0

I really love this game. No, more than that. I really love this style of game. The type of ability-dependant progression at the core of the Metroid and Castlevania series offer some of the most satisfying experiences I’ve had over my gaming career. Being of this ilk, what Axiom Verge does, it does very well, and despite culling much of its look from Metroid, Axiom Verge does enough to distance itself from the series making it a familiar yet fresh experience. The game opens with s...

From the Bench: Axiom Verge 0

Axiom Verge is a game that wants you to know that it carries Metroid in its heart and wears that heart on its sleeve. From the faux 8-bit graphical style, to the midi-eque sci-fi score, and even to the shape of the doors, Axiom Verge spares no effort in reminding you where it came from. The plus side of this nostalgia is that the game is incredibly successful in evoking fond memories of the older Metroid games. The downside comes when you realize Axiom Verge compares pretty unfavorably to both i...