Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Batman: Arkham City

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released Oct 18, 2011

When Gotham City's slums have been transformed into a secluded super-prison, it's up to Batman to uncover its conspiracy in the sequel to 2009's Batman: Arkham Asylum.

Arkham City, in 3D....with 2D TV?

eastcoasteric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By eastcoasteric

For those of you who are 3D junkies like myself (and there aren't many of us out there that are)

I figured I would let you know that Batman: Arkham City is 3D compatible with not only real 3D TV's but with the same glasses that were included with the GOTY Arkham Asylum.

They do not advertise this clearly in/on the game, but I thought i'd let a few people that would care, know.

I think it's a neat effects and when a pair of good surround sound headphones, you dive into the game even more this way.

If you don't have those glasses, any pair of pink/green 3D glasses will do. (but only pink/green ones).

Enjoy!

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By MooseyMcMan

They should have made the 3D glasses the pre-order bonus instead of the Catwoman stuff.

Also, does the pink/green mess up the game's colors like the "classic" red/blue ones always did for olde timey "3D" stuff?

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By NekuSakuraba

I'm guessing it looks crappy, right?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MooseyMcMan said:

They should have made the 3D glasses the pre-order bonus instead of the Catwoman stuff.

Also, does the pink/green mess up the game's colors like the "classic" red/blue ones always did for olde timey "3D" stuff?

At first yes, but then your eyes adjust to it. The color tone of Arkham Asylum also fit with the glasses. I noticed it alot more in Enslaved what with the clear sky and whatnot.

I still preferred to play without though. 3D sucks.

eastcoasteric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By eastcoasteric

@MooseyMcMan: It's actually not that bad at all.

The game it self is dark/gray most of the time so it blends well.

Seeing the glasses are light green and light pink, it only add's a slight hue to the game but does not hinder it at all.

It adds a really fun depth to the game, that for this game and Arkham Asylum, was a big factor to why I enjoyed it in the first place (as horrible as that sounds, trust me it's not what you think).

It's always something you can turn off, but it's always worth giving it a chance.

And I really don't get how people can hate 3D in the theaters, you're watching the same movie, but with more POP and depth.

It's not like the color is distorted or anything, I think there are a lot of nay sayers out there just getting on the band wagon because it hurts their head too much, or because they think it's cool to just hate it like some other people when they've never even experienced it.

eastcoasteric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By eastcoasteric

@ShaggyPolarBear: Have you even been to a real 3D movie? Because they certainly are not "blue/red".

And nor is the 3D tech I'm talking about.

The blue/red deal is from like comics and old movies from the past man!

bloodlines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By bloodlines

So it' it works then ? Well like I really care, because 3D is bulls*** anyway.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By JoeyRavn

@MooseyMcMan said:

Don't give them ideas. You would require an online pass and constant Internet connection every time you wanted to wear the glasses.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@JoeyRavn said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

Don't give them ideas. You would require an online pass and constant Internet connection every time you wanted to wear the glasses.

I'd rather it be for something silly like 3D than stuff that adds to the story.

eastcoasteric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By eastcoasteric

@ShaggyPolarBear said:

@eastcoasteric: Yeah man, I've been to cinema 3D films. Avatar was probably the best use of 3D that I've seen lately, I still don't like how the glasses dull the entire image, nor do I like how the effect just gives depth - so it feels like everything is a 2 dimensional cutout, somewhat like Paper Mario.

I don't know man, I'm really indifferent about 3D than most people I guess...it seems in the gaming community, it's normal to "dislike" or "hate" 3D effects.
    To me, even if it gives it more "depth" (though I've been to moves that have some awesome POP moments like Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs) and that depth adds an extra layer to the experience.
    It's like this which I don't know if you have either of these or not but let's take a good pair of surround sound headphones for gaming or a good 5.1-7.1 surround sound stereo set up...if you've ever played on either of these (and I mean a GOOD pair of surround sound headphones, not some $60 crap pair) it makes the game have a feeling of more immersion and you're drawn into the world even more than with just a pair of plain old TV speakers. Now use these for a while, especially on some games that take advantage of Dolby features and it's like you couldn't image what that game would be like without such good sound.
    The same goes (slightly) for 3D with CERTAIN games, notice how I say CERTAIN because this doesn't pertain to all games.
    Adventure games benefit from the 3D effect largely as even if it adds that "depth" feeling, it draws you into the world more.
    Now another thing I'm seeing is that people with glasses find it the worst with using 3D and I don't blame them.
    With GOOD 3D on games (my living room TV is a full 3D TV, my gameroom is a small normal LCD tv) the "blur" effect that some people are talking about, is almost not even there.
    But on a smaller TV with let's say the inficolor 3D effect that Batman uses, there is some minor "blurring" going on but the game itself is so dark and has very little "pop" colors that the 3D effects actually blends well into the game.

I think a lot of people are just putting it off because of a bad experience or two that they might have had and just need to find the right instance on when to use it.
    With the new LED/3D TV's out now, like the one in my living room...the 3D effects are clear, sharp and in total HD...while the movie theater projection screens tend to already not been in "HD" even though they claim it's supposed to be the best picture (bullshit) and can cause this effect.
    I also find that movies like Avatar or Jackass which uses real life things tend to be the worst for 3D experiences and only add's depth.
    For instance, I saw the new Pirates movie in 3D and the newest Harry Potter and I was really, really disappointed with the 3D in the movies.
    But when I saw a movie that was PURE CGI/animation...the artist/developers were able to manipulate the on screen visuals and effects to accommodate the 3D effects on screen, which in return makes the 3D effect much more dramatic and well produced.
    The same can go with games, if you play a game that uses that effect wisely and on a good television...it add's a whole new layer to the gaming experience.

Lastly, it's like 3D in games and not not the effect we are now becoming use to but polygons themselves.
    What if games were still in 2D and didn't break into the world of 3D like Mario 64? Doom? Etc.
    We could have only survived with side scrollers for so long before the market became over saturated with the same games over and over, eventually causing a major gap in entertainment and making the games that are in this generation and in the past 10+ years that we've known and loved, non existent because people felt polygons were a stupid feature, that we didn't need "3D" models.
    This is coming from a guy who has genuinely been gaming since the 80's, I grew up with my NES in the 80 early-mid 80's and into the 90's with my Super NES and I'm a huge retro collector to this day, but I'm glad we didn't get "stuck" in one "dimension" of gaming because lord only knows what we would be playing now or if gaming would even exist to this day.
    I know it's a bold statement and a claim but people need to respect and understand natural evolution of entertainment and I feel that 3D is the next step, providing that gap between the screen and real life.
    It surely needs to be worked on more, I will agree with that but for now...we need to embrace the technology that is blooming and embrace the future because imagine what games will be like when they get the features/effects down correctly...were people are no longer getting headaches, etc and the 3D effect is much more dramatic?
    Could you imagine what it would be like to rush through a building that is exploding, crumbling down as you see dirt and rubble fly around your face.
    It would be intense, now picture that with a big blockbuster game such as Arkham City or Uncharted 3?
    It would be NUTS!

Okay okay, I'll stop ranting now. Haha

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By emergency

@eastcoasteric said:

@ShaggyPolarBear said:

@eastcoasteric: Yeah man, I've been to cinema 3D films. Avatar was probably the best use of 3D that I've seen lately, I still don't like how the glasses dull the entire image, nor do I like how the effect just gives depth - so it feels like everything is a 2 dimensional cutout, somewhat like Paper Mario.

I don't know man, I'm really indifferent about 3D than most people I guess...it seems in the gaming community, it's normal to "dislike" or "hate" 3D effects.
    To me, even if it gives it more "depth" (though I've been to moves that have some awesome POP moments like Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs) and that depth adds an extra layer to the experience.
    It's like this which I don't know if you have either of these or not but let's take a good pair of surround sound headphones for gaming or a good 5.1-7.1 surround sound stereo set up...if you've ever played on either of these (and I mean a GOOD pair of surround sound headphones, not some $60 crap pair) it makes the game have a feeling of more immersion and you're drawn into the world even more than with just a pair of plain old TV speakers. Now use these for a while, especially on some games that take advantage of Dolby features and it's like you couldn't image what that game would be like without such good sound.
    The same goes (slightly) for 3D with CERTAIN games, notice how I say CERTAIN because this doesn't pertain to all games.
    Adventure games benefit from the 3D effect largely as even if it adds that "depth" feeling, it draws you into the world more.
    Now another thing I'm seeing is that people with glasses find it the worst with using 3D and I don't blame them.
    With GOOD 3D on games (my living room TV is a full 3D TV, my gameroom is a small normal LCD tv) the "blur" effect that some people are talking about, is almost not even there.
    But on a smaller TV with let's say the inficolor 3D effect that Batman uses, there is some minor "blurring" going on but the game itself is so dark and has very little "pop" colors that the 3D effects actually blends well into the game.

I think a lot of people are just putting it off because of a bad experience or two that they might have had and just need to find the right instance on when to use it.
    With the new LED/3D TV's out now, like the one in my living room...the 3D effects are clear, sharp and in total HD...while the movie theater projection screens tend to already not been in "HD" even though they claim it's supposed to be the best picture (bullshit) and can cause this effect.
    I also find that movies like Avatar or Jackass which uses real life things tend to be the worst for 3D experiences and only add's depth.
    For instance, I saw the new Pirates movie in 3D and the newest Harry Potter and I was really, really disappointed with the 3D in the movies.
    But when I saw a movie that was PURE CGI/animation...the artist/developers were able to manipulate the on screen visuals and effects to accommodate the 3D effects on screen, which in return makes the 3D effect much more dramatic and well produced.
    The same can go with games, if you play a game that uses that effect wisely and on a good television...it add's a whole new layer to the gaming experience.

Lastly, it's like 3D in games and not not the effect we are now becoming use to but polygons themselves.
    What if games were still in 2D and didn't break into the world of 3D like Mario 64? Doom? Etc.
    We could have only survived with side scrollers for so long before the market became over saturated with the same games over and over, eventually causing a major gap in entertainment and making the games that are in this generation and in the past 10+ years that we've known and loved, non existent because people felt polygons were a stupid feature, that we didn't need "3D" models.
    This is coming from a guy who has genuinely been gaming since the 80's, I grew up with my NES in the 80 early-mid 80's and into the 90's with my Super NES and I'm a huge retro collector to this day, but I'm glad we didn't get "stuck" in one "dimension" of gaming because lord only knows what we would be playing now or if gaming would even exist to this day.
    I know it's a bold statement and a claim but people need to respect and understand natural evolution of entertainment and I feel that 3D is the next step, providing that gap between the screen and real life.
    It surely needs to be worked on more, I will agree with that but for now...we need to embrace the technology that is blooming and embrace the future because imagine what games will be like when they get the features/effects down correctly...were people are no longer getting headaches, etc and the 3D effect is much more dramatic?
    Could you imagine what it would be like to rush through a building that is exploding, crumbling down as you see dirt and rubble fly around your face.
    It would be intense, now picture that with a big blockbuster game such as Arkham City or Uncharted 3?
    It would be NUTS!

You managed to make your whole rant bold and thus I didn't read it.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By McShank

O how i wish to play games in 3d but sadly, I do not wish to have 2 pairs of glasses smashed into my face for me to be able to use that great feature. Probably one of the main reasons i dont go see movies much anymore as everything is in 3D and the 2D ones seem to be in the shitty theater rooms. Someone needs to come up with 3d glasses / monocle's / contacts that will work with people who are wearing glasses as you need those damn things CLOSE to your face for you to even get them to work right which means you need to smash them and your glasses into the bridge of your nose or GL watching anything but a blurred picture.

justinnotjason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By justinnotjason

@emergency: was about to say the same.

eastcoasteric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By eastcoasteric

@emergency said:

@eastcoasteric said:

@ShaggyPolarBear said:

It would be NUTS!

You managed to make your whole rant bold and thus I didn't read it.

It's a good thing it wasn't directed towards you, otherwise god forbid if your precious little brain had to actually read more than 2 sentences.

Go troll somewhere else, this is a topic about 3D, not you acting like a smart ass.

eastcoasteric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By eastcoasteric

@McShank said:

O how i wish to play games in 3d but sadly, I do not wish to have 2 pairs of glasses smashed into my face for me to be able to use that great feature. Probably one of the main reasons i dont go see movies much anymore as everything is in 3D and the 2D ones seem to be in the shitty theater rooms. Someone needs to come up with 3d glasses / monocle's / contacts that will work with people who are wearing glasses as you need those damn things CLOSE to your face for you to even get them to work right which means you need to smash them and your glasses into the bridge of your nose or GL watching anything but a blurred picture.

See this is what I was talking about above, people who wear glasses tend to hate 3D the most.

Why not put on contacts if you're going to the theater? I wear contacts all the time, only when I'm home do I wear my glasses.

They're a bitch to get use to, but like anything else...once you get past the initial "bullshit" stage, it becomes second nature.

That goes to say as well that I still don't see the whole "blurry" thing people are talking about? I think people are trying to focus too hard or something and it's causing the image to be blurry.

In fact, when I'm watching 3D movies they seem as if they are more crisp than the original (in theaters) at times.

You should try it on a 3D LED TV, it's insane though. It's razor sharp and clear.

Lastly, I agree. Glasses free 3D will eventually become the market main stay, but we are still some time away for that.

Though I do think they just recently developed a glasses free TV somewhere? I'm not sure though.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Maluvin

@eastcoasteric: To be fair it is kind of hard on the eyes in bold with bad spacing. Not sure if it was intentional since your other posts didn't look that way.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By TheGreatGuero

My friend tried it last night and he was telling me how great it is.

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By emergency

@eastcoasteric said:

Sorry your bold text hurts my eyes. It feels childish and stupid, like a lame tactic to get people to read it because it must be important because its bold. Regardless, thanks for your kind words. My only intention was to correct your terrible forum etiquette.

eastcoasteric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By eastcoasteric

@Maluvin said:

@eastcoasteric: To be fair it is kind of hard on the eyes in bold with bad spacing. Not sure if it was intentional since your other posts didn't look that way.

Yeah I didn't even notice that, I have no idea why it did that.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Pezen

Just tried the 3D thing before I turned it off today, was probably the best use (and best quality) of 3D in games I've seen thus far. I saw no ghosting or other distortions (like Black Ops is riddled with) and the depth of field effect is pretty decent. And I quite like how little it seems to change visual fidelity and quality in general. I'm quite pleased, although I am not entirely sure I will play through the entire game that way, but it was a pleasant surprise. Man that game looks fantastic.

lalalalala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By lalalalala

@eastcoasteric: I have a normal 2DTV and i cant play batman arkham city(XBOX 360) , i only get a word "disc is not supported" , i went to the display setting but the first choice (HDTV setting) is not available i cant click it at all , can someone help me please? i dont mind to play in 2D or 3D but i just want to play the game =( ...

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By napalm

How can you be a junkie of something that turns video media into fucking junk?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#26  Edited By Yummylee

@Napalm said:

Because it's all clearly just an analogy for the effects of real body destroying drugs!

Also hey, necro troll profile #2424234234343535

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By napalm

@Yummylee said:

@Napalm said:

Because it's all clearly just an analogy for the effects of real body destroying drugs!

I actually didn't think of it like this. Goddamn it.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By Justin258

@eastcoasteric said:

@McShank said:

See this is what I was talking about above, people who wear glasses tend to hate 3D the most.

Why not put on contacts if you're going to the theater? I wear contacts all the time, only when I'm home do I wear my glasses.

They're a bitch to get use to, but like anything else...once you get past the initial "bullshit" stage, it becomes second nature.

That goes to say as well that I still don't see the whole "blurry" thing people are talking about? I think people are trying to focus too hard or something and it's causing the image to be blurry.

In fact, when I'm watching 3D movies they seem as if they are more crisp than the original (in theaters) at times.

You should try it on a 3D LED TV, it's insane though. It's razor sharp and clear.

Lastly, I agree. Glasses free 3D will eventually become the market main stay, but we are still some time away for that.

Though I do think they just recently developed a glasses free TV somewhere? I'm not sure though.

Why would I want to get used to contacts just so I could see something in 3D, a feature which I don't already like?

And a number of people have reported 3D giving them major headaches. So there's another reason to not like it.

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BBQBram

Just stopped by to say that the leap from 2D space to 3D space in the rendered game world is a huge jump in game design and the spatial cognition involveld. Whether or not that 3D space is displayed in 2D or 3D has no real impact on the gameplay or design possibilities, just on the aesthetics, and even then it's still a matter of preference and not an objective step up like SD to HD.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.