Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Batman: Arkham City

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released Oct 18, 2011

When Gotham City's slums have been transformed into a secluded super-prison, it's up to Batman to uncover its conspiracy in the sequel to 2009's Batman: Arkham Asylum.

No Robin free roam in Harley quinn DLC.

deskp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deskp

We will not be able to free roam as Robin after finishing the dlc, I think that is kind of bullshit I've been wanting that since the useless challenge room Robin dlc..

Could this indicate that the DLC is set in a new location?(there is a mention of dry docks in the achievments.) if not hopefully there is a point in the story where you can goof around in the city with robin.

IIGrayFoxII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By IIGrayFoxII
    @deskp: Source?
    Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Bell_End

i expect this and when ever i expect i should get if not il get angry

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By JazGalaxy

The game was built for the one character. It's reasonable to assume they wouldn't want to build and test support for a new character in the entire game. That's part of the problem with open ended gameplay.

Poppduder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Poppduder
    @JazGalaxy this. Surprised it wasn't modable into the pc version though
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By wrighteous86

@JazGalaxy: How does that explain Catwoman?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#7  Edited By Hailinel

People want to play as Robin? What?

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By 49th

I don't mind... How would Robin get around the city anyway?

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By kindgineer

@deskp said:

We will not be able to free roam as Robin after finishing the dlc, I think that is kind of bullshit I've been wanting that since the useless challenge room Robin dlc..

Could this indicate that the DLC is set in a new location?(there is a mention of dry docks in the achievments.) if not hopefully there is a point in the story where you can goof around in the city with robin.

I had a lot of fun with the challenge room DLC, thank you very much. I guess I'm not upset about not being able to play Robin because I'm one of those rare gamers that don't like switching characters much in a story. Breaks my connection.

deskp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deskp

@IIGrayFoxII said:

@deskp: Source?

Comunity manager on the arkham city boards said so.

@ccampb89 said:

@deskp said:

I had a lot of fun with the challenge room DLC, thank you very much. I guess I'm not upset about not being able to play Robin because I'm one of those rare gamers that don't like switching characters much in a story. Breaks my connection.

You will be switching characthers in the story part of the dlc.

@49th said:

I don't mind... How would Robin get around the city anyway?

Same way he does in challenge rooms, he basicaly got same moves as batman.

@JazGalaxy said:

The game was built for the one character. It's reasonable to assume they wouldn't want to build and test support for a new character in the entire game. That's part of the problem with open ended gameplay.

I just want him for post finished game like catwsoman after she collects her stuff.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Enigma777

I don't care.

IIGrayFoxII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By IIGrayFoxII
    @deskp: Can you provide a link please?
    SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SomeDeliCook

Doesn't really bother me, the free roaming was my least favorite part about the Batman Arkham games.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JazGalaxy

@Wrighteous86 said:

Any number of reasons. I mean, have you ever done any work in game design? I don't mean, like, pro stuff, I just mean messing with game files or modding?

EVERYTHING breaks the game. It's honestly just a universal design concept that extends outside of games. If something was built for x, changing x breaks the design. I deal with it all hte time in graphic design work, when someone wants to change text.

Catwoman could have been buit off of the Batman model where Robin wasn't. A kid is obviously going to be differently sized than a full grown man. Especially if they wanted that concept to figure into game design. Maybe Robin creeps around through vents or something and needs to be physically smaller than Batman. Or, alternatively, maybe they just built the game from the start to incorporate Catwoman and Robin was an afterthought that coudln't be tested like Catwoman was.

It could literally be anything. The bottom line being, adding features to games is more complicated than it sounds.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By wrighteous86

@JazGalaxy said:

@Wrighteous86 said:

Any number of reasons. I mean, have you ever done any work in game design? I don't mean, like, pro stuff, I just mean messing with game files or modding?

EVERYTHING breaks the game. It's honestly just a universal design concept that extends outside of games. If something was built for x, changing x breaks the design. I deal with it all hte time in graphic design work, when someone wants to change text.

Catwoman could have been buit off of the Batman model where Robin wasn't. A kid is obviously going to be differently sized than a full grown man. Especially if they wanted that concept to figure into game design. Maybe Robin creeps around through vents or something and needs to be physically smaller than Batman. Or, alternatively, maybe they just built the game from the start to incorporate Catwoman and Robin was an afterthought that coudln't be tested like Catwoman was.

It could literally be anything. The bottom line being, adding features to games is more complicated than it sounds.

Have you worked in game design? Have you even PLAYED this game? Robin isn't "a kid" in Arkham City. He's practically the same size as Batman, or, at least, closer in size than Catwoman. Maybe Robin creeps around through vents? You mean just like Batman and Catwoman do throughout the story? Nothing you're saying makes sense. Robin is already playable in the original game, in areas of the main game, and can do the same things as Batman (or analogs of those things).

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JazGalaxy

O_o. Everything I'm saying makes sense, because the underlying thing I'm saying is that they didn't want to put Robin in free roam and there's an infinite number of reasons as to why they might have made that decision.

MilleRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MilleRD
    @IIGrayFoxII said:
    @deskp: Can you provide a link please?

http://community.batmanarkhamcity.com/forums/showthread.php/16293-Harley-Quinn-s-Revenge-Official-Discussion-Thread?p=267926#post267926
      Just went through the forums over there, the community manager did say that you can only use Robin within the DLC stuff, you also can't use Nightwing in it it seems. She also said it's new areas of Arkham City in the DLC, it'll take around 2 hours to complete and it's released on the 29th/30th of May for 800msp or $9.99.
    IIGrayFoxII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By IIGrayFoxII
    @MilleRD: Thanks for the link and information dump. Sounds great to me regardless. Only problem is the wait is too long.
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By wrighteous86

@JazGalaxy said:

O_o. Everything I'm saying makes sense, because the underlying thing I'm saying is that they didn't want to put Robin in free roam and there's an infinite number of reasons as to why they might have made that decision.

Except for any of the reasons you listed. The character already works in that context.

The main problem is probably that there would be nothing for him to do in the overworld.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TentPole

@JazGalaxy said:

@Wrighteous86 said:

You are talking out of your ass except for that last sentence. That is true.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JazGalaxy

I've done enough mod work in my life to be fully confident that if you don't know what I'm talking about, you don't know what you're talking about and have never done any game creation in your life.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Man. I love ad Hominem arguments. Always classy.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By BisonHero

At this point I expect the Arkham games to have totally half-assed DLC, in the same way I expect Saints Row 3 to keep putting out half-assed DLC.

Arkham Asylum barely got any DLC, and it was all in the form of challenge rooms. And Arkham City has thus far only been getting a bunch of lame reskins and challenge rooms. This one will actually be story content for once, but they're still going to half-ass it, which likely means having the DLC take place in its own cordoned off section of the city, and you won't be able to use Robin as freely as you would like. I assume Rocksteady just isn't being given enough time or money to do any worthwhile DLC.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.