Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

Commander Mode Confirmed for WiiU Version of Battlefield 3

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Contro

Found this very interesting revelation on CVG just now.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/321798/previews/battlefield-3-returning-to-its-roots-on-wii-u/
    "But the most interesting aspects of a Wii U Battlefield 3 are the elements that could return from earlier in the series' lifespan. EA president Frank Gibeau has mentioned that the touch-screen controller would allow for a 'commander mode', last seen in Battlefield 2.
    This set one player as a leader, letting them dictate where on the map their squad should move next. The Wii U controller would allow a player to assume this role and draw little arrows all over the map while still controlling their soldier - previously Battlefield 2 players had to lock themselves in little cubby holes to do their commanding.
    Even on a smaller scale, the potential for squad communication is greatly increased with Wii U. "Go to that thingy over there near the wotsit" becomes an easy-to-follow arrow; "Help! A man behind a rock is shooting at me!" becomes a little red notifier on the map that you cradle in your hands.
    This version of Battlefield 3 might not have the sheer visual grunt of the top-end PC version, but the fact that EA's president is talking up the potential of Wii U means the version that Nintendo gamers will get their hands on promises genuine ingenuity in its mass multiplayer brawls".

This degree of touch based tactical control sounds awesome. I'll certainly be getting the game on PC later this month, but now I'll also be looking to get the WiiU version next year, it's sounding like it's going to be the best console version of the game by far, and not just because of it's graphics. I have no qualms what so ever about it's online MP mode when EA are taking care of it.

easthill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By easthill

If this is true, it's the biggest fuck you to PC gamers I've seen.

Ping5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#3  Edited By Ping5000

"would allow" is not the same thing as "confirmed"

What is CVG's source. When and where did EA's president say any of this?

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By SeriouslyNow

I don't care. The downside is that you have to play on the Wii U. I don't really see an upside which cancels that out.

amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By amomjc

@easthill said:

This times 1000.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Contro

@Ping5000 said:

True, but it's a given. It's seems to be from a recent interview with NGamer UK (Magazine) conducted with EA's President.

@easthill said:

It is quite shocking, seeing as though so many PC gamers loved that aspect of BF2 and have been calling for it's return in BF3, since the game was announced. I can see EA giving into pressure once this news filters out around the community. There are going to be some very angry PC gamers, lol.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By DeeGee

Pros: Commander Mode

Cons: Playing the Wii U.

Rabbykayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Rabbykayn

Wow.. fuck you DICE...

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By tim_the_corsair
    @SeriouslyNow

I don't care. The downside is that you have to play on the Wii U. I don't really see an upside which cancels that out.

amen
    Ping5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ping5000

@Contro said:

@Ping5000 said:

True, but it's a given. It's seems to be from a recent interview with NGamer UK (Magazine) conducted with EA's President.

@easthill said:

It is quite shocking, seeing as though so many PC gamers loved that aspect of BF2 and have been calling for it's return in BF3, since the game was announced. I can see EA giving into pressure once this news filters out around the community. There are going to be some very angry PC gamers, lol.

How is that a given?

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@easthill said:

This, seriously?

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By swoxx

People are quite judgmental towars the WiiU already I see. I loved commander mode on BF2. Sucks that it won't be in the PC version.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Contro

@Ping5000 said:

@Contro said:

@Ping5000 said:

@easthill said:

How is that a given?

EA's President, of all people, wouldn't be say the following unless there were concrete plans for it's inclusion, along with other touch based tactical options.

EA president Frank Gibeau mentioned that the touch-screen controller would allow for a 'commander mode', last seen in Battlefield 2.

It's inclusion, and others like it, would be perfectly logical from a gameplay standpoint, which is exactly why we are seeing Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online including such control options also.

If you were in charge of the project and you saw a competitor making the realisation that to complete with other similar games in the market (long after initial release), you have to offer something new and exciting to players, you would attempt to do exactly the same. Both games will be vying for online time when they're released during WiiU's launch.

Edit:

Maybe the PC version will get it also sometime down the line, it's possible that they're not including it now due to time constraints.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csoup said:

@easthill said:

This times 1000.

Times1000000000000000000 seriously this is so fuck up by Dice if true I'm only getting BF3 to get connected with some friends and have some laughs and to have as much fun as I can from a nerfed game damn.

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jayjonesjunior

@Contro said:

Edit:

Maybe the PC version will get it also sometime down the line, it's possible that they're not including it now due to time constraints.

DICE/EA abandoned the newer MoH almost immediately after release, do you really think they will add something new to BF3 after launch?

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Contro

@jayjonesjunior said:

@Contro said:

Edit:

DICE/EA abandoned the newer MoH almost immediately after release, do you really think they will add something new to BF3 after launch?

On the PC, absolutely, this is Battlefield we're talking about, it always gets ample support on PC, you only have to look at the past upgrades to initial releases.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@jayjonesjunior said:

@Contro said:

Edit:

DICE didn't make MoH, they were contracted for the MP portion. BF is DICE's flagship product and PC is their home platform so, yes, it's likely they could add stuff to it after launch.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By selbie

What Ping5000 said. This article is pure speculation. No confirmations. Only a side comment from the developer. Do you guys really think DICE would make Commander Mode a Wii U exclusive?

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By tebbit

At the risk of sounding inflammatory...

Wah wah, baby want bottle? I'm gonna complain about what the game doesn't have rather than consider what it does have, and then ask myself whether the game DICE designed actually needs a commander mode. Up yours, PC gaming, because a developer decided to exclude a feature from their game that it wasn't designed for, because more features from previous game = better game. /sarcasm /thread

...Well. I guess that was a little inflammatory, wasn't it?

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#20  Edited By GS_Dan

Fuck. I hope this isn't happening.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Contro

I wonder if DICE will include something akin to Commander Mode in Singleplayer, as an option to control your AI team, I think that could take it to a new level and make it feel and more interesting. It could be cool in the highest difficulty setting.

CoD's highest difficulty setting is easily overcome by gaining ground, in a almost monotonous fashion, I think, but here there's an opportunity in this game to bring in a range of on-the-fly tactical decisions, and up the difficulty setting a touch higher than it would be otherwise.

birchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By birchman

"Would allow" is funny.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By Ravenlight

This seems like a weird situation driven by stupid marketing shenanigans.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#24  Edited By Hailinel

@Swoxx said:

People are quite judgmental towars the WiiU already I see. I loved commander mode on BF2. Sucks that it won't be in the PC version.

Yeah, really.

"Hey, guys, let's all bitch about playing games on a console that hasn't been released yet and no one has any public experience using save for a few tech demos! We're totally justified in our actions because we feel entitled and therefore are allowed to bitch!"

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By onarum

That would be neat, I don't see the wiiu version of BF3 selling at all though, it would be the striped down 360/PS3 version with the sole addition of commander mode an entire year after it's initial release, how can that possibly do well?

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Contro
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#27  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Sounds like a great use of the WiiU's features. Though I don't know how much interest there will be in this game by the time the WiiU is out.

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jayjonesjunior

@SeriouslyNow: and that's exactly the portion that is broken.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By mosdl

And yet whenever I play bf2/2142, the commander slot is empty...

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#30  Edited By Video_Game_King

Wait, Battlefield 3 is coming out for WiiU? I'll have to pay more attention to the system.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Contro

@Video_Game_King said:

Wait, Battlefield 3 is coming out for WiiU? I'll have to pay more attention to the system.

Dude, it was on the E3 show-reel for WiiU, even though it was 360 footage... ^^

@MooseyMcMan said:

Sounds like a great use of the WiiU's features. Though I don't know how much interest there will be in this game by the time the WiiU is out.

That's the thing, it will need to have some fresh features that will appeal to many, not just the few. Being able to playing Battlefield 3 tucked up in bed simply won't be enough. EA have pledged their support and they went further by taking the stage at E3 to talk about how the controller could be used. Surely now they will have to deliver on some of their ideas in the big franchises, which they say are coming to WiiU.

Ping5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Ping5000

@Contro said:

@Ping5000 said:

@Contro said:

@Ping5000 said:

@easthill said:

How is that a given?

EA's President, of all people, wouldn't be say the following unless there were concrete plans for it's inclusion, along with other touch based tactical options.

EA president Frank Gibeau mentioned that the touch-screen controller would allow for a 'commander mode', last seen in Battlefield 2.

It's inclusion, and others like it, would be perfectly logical from a gameplay standpoint, which is exactly why we are seeing Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online including such control options also.

If you were in charge of the project and you saw a competitor making the realisation that to complete with other similar games in the market (long after initial release), you have to offer something new and exciting to players, you would attempt to do exactly the same. Both games will be vying for online time when they're released during WiiU's launch.

Edit:

"could return" "would allow"

You're really jumping the gun here. He's imagining the possibilities, but isn't confirming them, so you really shouldn't get people shocked or mad at something that hasn't been 100% confirmed. If anything, a confirmation or a comment with DICE would have validity than a comment from EA's president.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.