Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

PC Requirements Speculation?

• 77 results
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#51  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @RsistncE:  @Geno:  as a noob-ish PC gamer who's too bored and has too short of an attention span to keep up with all the PC shenanigans, spending the last hour listening to Dream Theater and reading your heated discussion has been amazing ! 

so clearly Geno comes from a place where PC gamers have crazy ass rigs (sounds like heaven), while RsistncE is used to PC gamers like myself who have average hardware and arent crazy about maxed out settings. 
    the OP said minimum vs. perfect, and so i think Geno is right. when perfect/maxed out has a common meaning (benchmark settings), you wouldnt say 'perfect settings' to describe 'medium playable' settings, RsistncE.. i doubt the OP meant what you think he meant, and i think he should shed some light on what he was actually asking for. im sure by 'perfect' he meant truly maxed out 
     this has been a great fucking read ! 

Geno, if there is such a thing as 32x AA, shouldnt that be the AA used in your 'maxed out' argument rather than 4xAA ? why are you using the 4 when talking max settings when there's higher AA ?
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By Geno
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
     the OP said minimum vs. perfect, and so i think Geno is right. when perfect/maxed out has a common meaning (benchmark settings), you wouldnt say 'perfect settings' to describe 'medium playable' settings, RsistncE
    This is what I've been trying to tell him the whole time, but he's apparently too busy being off-topic and nonsensical.  

@Ahmad_Metallic said:
    Geno, if there is such a thing as 32x AA, shouldnt that be the AA used in your 'maxed out' argument rather than 4xAA ? why are you using the 4 when talking max settings when there's higher AA ? "
    The reasoning here is that 4xAA is generally accepted as the best tradeoff between performance and image quality amongst PC gamers. You could go 32xAA, maybe get a 10-20% higher quality image, but suffer a 50% performance reduction or more. Another reason is that 4xAA is used in almost every graphics card review, so that when you talk about a game's performance demands, there is a common grounds to discuss (e.g. at 1920x1080 with 4xAA and max in-game settings at whatever recorded framerate), rather than random custom settings all over the place with subjective framerate descriptions ("buttery smooth"), which would be completely useless. Another reason is that there's no upper bounds to AA really; you can go up to 128xAA in some circumstances and it's ever increasing with diminishing returns. Better to settle with a reasonable standard such as 4xAA, which the PC gaming community has quietly adopted over the years. 
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Geno:  oh i see.. well its re-assuring that common max settings doesnt mean highest EVERYTHING that would kill our rigs and our dicks. 4x AA sounds good 

On topic, i was thinking of spending around 1K USD on a graphics card, new MOBO and new CPU, but now with all your monitor resolution bickering, you kinda made me wanna buy a 1920x1080 monitor because im rocking a Samsung 1680x1050.. 
    It'd be a waste of money to get myself a GTX 580 and use it with a 1680x1050 monitor right ?
    Avatar image for deactivated-60ae53b407571
    deactivated-60ae53b407571

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

I am building a monster. 

I will disregard the requirements. 

I will have my vengaence, in this life or next.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#55  Edited By warxsnake

Anything above an 8800 class nvidia card or equivalent. 
    Anything above or =  4GB of RAM, I dont think this is coming out for xp, otherwise, 2GB for xp 
    Anything above a q6600, CPU intensive game. 

Basically hardware that should work for any multiplat released this gen. And those are barebones minimum (requirements) 

My recommendation would be a mid-high DX11 card (GTX 560 ti), a mid corei7 cpu or mid-high corei5 (920 and above), and 4GB or 6GB of ram depending on corei5 or i7, socket type.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Geno
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    It'd be a waste of money to get myself a GTX 580 and use it with a 1680x1050 monitor right ? "
    It'd be a waste of money to get a GTX 580, since it's terrible value. You can get the same performance from HD 6850CF at 2/3 the cost. With that level of performance a 1920x1080 monitor would be more ideal I'd say, though games like Metro 2033 would still be difficult even on your current resolution when they're run at max settings on a GTX 580. 
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Geno:  its too early for an upgrade anyway 

i can game on my 8600 GT til august/september on low/medium settings, and upgrade then.. we'll see what new parts will be out and what shit will cost 
    thanks for your help though
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#58  Edited By RsistncE
    @Geno: Only. You. And. Possibly. The. Op. Are. Talking. About. Perfect. Settings. 

If. Everyone. Here. Was. Talking. About. Perfect. Settings. Then. So. Many. Here. Wouldn't. Disagree. With. You.  

Your. Reasoning. For. The. Steam. Survey. Is. Incorrect.  
    You. Make. The. Massive. Assumption. That. The. Survey. Is. Perfectly. Representative. Of. The. Population.  
    I. Highly. Doubt. Casual. Gamers. Log. Onto. Steam. Enough. To. Regularly. Be. A. Part. Of. The. Survey. Or. That. They'd. Even. Care. To. Participate. 
    Another. Statistics. Fail. 

Benchmarks. Are. Not. Run. At. Conventional. Gamer. Standards. They. Are. Run. At. Conventional. BENCHMARK. Standards.  
    Two. Different. Things.  

If. The. Game. Ran. That. Well. While. Looking. That. Good. At. GDC. While. Running. At. 1920. X. 1080.  Then. It. Will. Run. Even. Better. For. Most. Gamers. With. Similar. Hardware.  
    Since. It. Is. Quite. Clear. That. Most. Gamers. Use. A. Lower. Resolution. 

Your. Reasoning. Is. Fallacious.

I. Hope. I. Am. Talking. Slow. Enough. For. You.     
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Geno
    @RsistncE said:

" @Geno: Only. You. And. Possibly. The. Op. Are. Talking. About. Perfect. Settings. 

Oh sorry, didn't know it was convention to ignore the OP.  

Followed by yada yada the same bullshit that I countered 5 posts ago (you still don't understand the Steam survey, benchmarks, or what resolution does to image quality).  

Let the record show that I tried to educate this fool, but he did nothing but troll in response. I've had less difficulty explaining science to creationists.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By RsistncE
    @Geno said:
    " @RsistncE said:
    " @Geno: Only. You. And. Possibly. The. Op. Are. Talking. About. Perfect. Settings. 
    Oh sorry, didn't know it was convention to ignore the OP.   Followed by yada yada the same bullshit that I countered 5 posts ago (you still don't understand the Steam survey, benchmarks, or what resolution does to image quality).   Let the record show that I tried to educate this fool, but he did nothing but troll in response. "
    Sorry but a thread isn't only about the OP, it's also about other users in the thread. In fact I was quite clear when I said that for most people (particularly the ones you were responding to) that your predicted requirements were overestimating their needs. It's not my problem that you went on a rage fest and decided to ignore that tidbit. 

Also: you didn't refute shit. Your understanding of statistics is fucking pathetic and most of your arguments completely circumnavigated around the points I made.

All in all I really couldn't care any longer; the game will run great on a 470 on settings that make the game look as good as those at GDC. Write it down. Of course a 470 won't be sufficient if you're planning on having a jerk off fest with your e-peen buddies, but I digress.
    lavaman77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#61  Edited By lavaman77

I seriously hope my GT 9800 won't struggle with it, if it does i might have to replace it. :(

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Geno
    @RsistncE said:
     Your understanding of statistics is fucking pathetic
    Since I've already replied to the rest of your "I don't know shit about PC gaming but continue to comment on it anyway" nonsense, and since you keep pushing this point about statistics I thought I'd just add that I've completed honors level university courses in statistics with the highest marks. From my experience, it is safe to say that you lie about 3 standard deviations below average in terms of intelligence, with a confidence interval of about 99%.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By RsistncE
    @Geno said:

" @RsistncE said:

Since I've already replied to the rest of your "I don't know shit about PC gaming but continue to comment on it anyway" nonsense, and since you keep pushing this point about statistics I thought I'd just add that I've completed honors level university courses in statistics with the highest marks. From my experience, it is safe to say that you lie about 3 standard deviations below average in terms of intelligence, with a confidence interval of about 99%. "
    EDIT: You know what actually, fuck it. You win. Have a nice day.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Geno
    @RsistncE said:

" @Geno said:

" @RsistncE said:
    Since I've already replied to the rest of your "I don't know shit about PC gaming but continue to comment on it anyway" nonsense, and since you keep pushing this point about statistics I thought I'd just add that I've completed honors level university courses in statistics with the highest marks. From my experience, it is safe to say that you lie about 3 standard deviations below average in terms of intelligence, with a confidence interval of about 99%. "
    Since I've already replied to the rest of your "this has less to do with technical benchmarks than you think" nonsense, I thought I'd just add that throwing around claims of achievement in your real life on internet threads are surefire ways of proving you actually didn't do those things. In fact: the null hypothesis here was that you're actually some for of hideous moron living in your mom's basement. Unfortunately, we failed to reject the null hypothesis. Sorry, better luck next time. "
    Right, performance in games has nothing to do with benchmarks. Let's just state all of our different custom settings and express framerates through descriptive words instead, much more useful. Ooh, I have a better idea, let's interpretive dance our framerates to each other, that's even less technical! Boo technical! We don't need framerates or standards in a performance discussion! And if it doesn't run oh so buttery smooth (yum!) then it will magically optimize itself for us!

*Roll*

Also you were the one constantly slinging ad hominems about my statistics knowledge, when it's clear that your own only extends to your 6th grade elementary education and maybe some reading on Wikipedia (for one, you don't even know how to interpret a survey). Oh and wonderful assertion about real life achievements. I also volunteer at hospitals and tutor people chemistry for free. Oops, according to your arbitrary ruling looks like I don't. I guess a random person over the internet has the ability to annul my entire life. You sure got me.

And I take it the constant "mirror" posts that you keep making are indicative of your lack of imagination.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By RsistncE
    @Geno said:
    " @RsistncE said:

" @Geno said:

" @RsistncE said:
    Since I've already replied to the rest of your "this has less to do with technical benchmarks than you think" nonsense, I thought I'd just add that throwing around claims of achievement in your real life on internet threads are surefire ways of proving you actually didn't do those things. In fact: the null hypothesis here was that you're actually some for of hideous moron living in your mom's basement. Unfortunately, we failed to reject the null hypothesis. Sorry, better luck next time. "
    Right, performance in games has nothing to do with benchmarks. Let's just state all of our different custom settings and express framerates through descriptive words instead, much more useful. Ooh, I have a better idea, let's interpretive dance our framerates to each other, that's even less technical! Boo technical! We don't need framerates or standards in a performance discussion! And if it doesn't run oh so buttery smooth (yum!) then it will magically optimize itself for us!

*Roll*

Also you were the one constantly slinging ad hominems about my statistics knowledge, when it's clear that your own only extends to your 6th grade elementary education and maybe some reading on Wikipedia (for one, you don't even know how to interpret a survey). Oh and wonderful assertion about real life achievements. I also volunteer at hospitals and tutor people chemistry for free. Oops, according to your arbitrary ruling looks like I don't. I guess a random person over the internet has the ability to annul my entire life. You sure got me. And I take it the constant "mirror" posts that you keep making are indicative of your lack of imagination. "
    "EDIT: You know what actually, fuck it. You win. Have a nice day." 

I thought that was pretty clear. I didn't think an argument over video games was worth enough to either of us to get to the point where we were only throwing insults at one another. You didn't seem to agree.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @RsistncE:   I didn't say anything like that and I certainly don't agree with the personal insults.  Geno knows his shit.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By RsistncE
    @SeriouslyNow: I wasn't talking about you, I was talking about Geno. And I never once said his technical assertions weren't correct; they are. What I said was that benchmark standards =/= average pc gamer standards when it comes to maxing out. He failed to understand this. In fact I'm not even sure why he turned it into an argument because I was pretty clear in my statement. Either way I don't care anymore.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#68  Edited By MikkaQ

All I wanna know is how they expect to garner huge PC sales with spec that high. Not everyone can afford to get the best parts every year.  Though I feel like I've picked a good year to build a top-of-the-line computer, with BF3, Skyrim, and Diablo all around the corner-ish. 

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Donos

It took a whole week for a PC hardware thread to break into insults? I'm impressed. 

@XII_Sniper: At this point, I don't think publishers expect anyone to play new PC games aside from the hardcore PC enthusiasts who will get the best parts every year regardless of price. Everyone else just has consoles, which is why there are console versions.

Edit: Never mind, that's stupid. EA has been pretty clear that they want to unseat Call of Duty, and they've said one of their tactics is to make Battlefield a more technically impressive franchise. The fastest way to do that is ramp up the technical requirements and dump that added horsepower into features Call of Duty (with its console focus) cannot match. If that cuts down their sales for Battlefield 3, so be it if that's what's needed to reestablish the franchise for modern gaming.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#70  Edited By Marz

Lots more destruction probably means it's gonna use up alot of cpu cycles to calculate those physics like Bad Company 2 does.   So a strong quadcore in the 3+ghz range  is definately on the checklist.   I'm a guess this game can be scaled back graphically a little bit so a video card within 3 generations of current technology will be able to run it.  How fast depends on how much money you spent on that video card.     

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By captain_clayman

if it's not a console port hopefully it wont be much harder to run than BC2. 

plur remember guys, this IS supposed to run on consoles. 

EDIT:  all in all, if my GTX 460's in SLI and my overclocked core i5 750 cant handle it, i will be angry.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By MikkaQ
    @Donos said:
    " It took a whole week for a PC hardware thread to break into insults? I'm impressed. 

@XII_Sniper: At this point, I don't think publishers expect anyone to play new PC games aside from the hardcore PC enthusiasts who will get the best parts every year regardless of price. Everyone else just has consoles, which is why there are console versions.  Edit: Never mind, that's stupid. EA has been pretty clear that they want to unseat Call of Duty, and they've said one of their tactics is to make Battlefield a more technically impressive franchise. The fastest way to do that is ramp up the technical requirements and dump that added horsepower into features Call of Duty (with its console focus) cannot match. If that cuts down their sales for Battlefield 3, so be it if that's what's needed to reestablish the franchise for modern gaming. "
    Yeah but then you see people post about the viability of gaming PCs, and how impressive sales figures are on Steam and such. Someone's clearly buying this stuff. But it's interesting to have a PC lead, I think it's the right move for a proper Battlefield game. If they're really out to gut COD though, I think their best bet is still the Bad Company series. It's close enough for COD fans to come over to it easily, and it acts as a gateway drug to the Battlefield style of big open combat. Also it's a console focused series, and that's where a lot of the college frat-types and regular joes go to get their COD fix... and it's that mainstream appeal that gets COD those millions of sales. You don't see Ice T talking about getting new graphics cards to play the latest in gaming do you? 

Still, looking at the relative successes of indie games on the PC, the App store, and the popularity of small casual games, and of course the behemoth that is WoW, it's clear that the more computers your game can run on, the more likely you'll sell more. 

I'm not saying EA should dilute the quality of their game, in fact I LOVE that they're pushing the limits, but I think PC game makers need to invest more in make their games scale down better. It's a big problem for the me that some games run on minimum on my computer, look like shit, and still run at 20fps, while some older game that looks a lot better than a modern game on minimum settings still runs at a nice 60fps. I love Civ V to death, but I can barely run it, and when I do, it just looks awful. It it weren't for all the refinements made to the gameplay, I'd probably just play CIv IV, it's less of a hassle. 
    Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Donos
    @XII_Sniper: A year ago I would have agreed with you about Bad Company. However, now that we've been through BC1 and 2, I think the result is that the masses just don't give a shit about those games. They might enjoy them if they played them, but they aren't playing them, Hence Battlefield 3 having crazy graphics as a hook. I wouldn't expect these people to have the PCs to run that version of the game, but that's what consoles are for. Advertise with the PC version, sell the console version, and hopefully the gameplay can make up for the missing visual splendor. The general theory of big advertising with a big name already worked for Medal of Honor, and that game sucked.

Now for your theory on the PC market as a whole, I pretty much agree with you. I'd love it if PC developers put as much work as console developers into cramming more features into less hardware. But at some point, someone has to make the big crazy title that pushing things forward, and I'm glad that title is Battlefield.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @captain_clayman said:

"if it's not a console port "

stop right there !! 

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Geno:  Those benchmarks are way out of date.  They don't take into account driver optimisations and game engine updates that have happened over the course of the game's release, let alone newer cards.  The 570 is 20% faster than the 470 at least, often more so.  Hell the 570 is faster than the 480.  This benchmark from this month is far more relevant and up to date.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Geno
    @SeriouslyNow: I never said the GTX 470 was in line with the 570, I think you must have misread. Though I duly note that BC2 has received performance optimizations since it's launch, in this case older numbers might be better since we're presumably speculating the performance demands for BF3 at its launch through extrapolation of BC2. 
    Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Donos
    @Geno said:

" @SeriouslyNow: I never said the GTX 470 was in line with the 570, I think you must have misread. Though I duly note that BC2 has received performance optimizations since it's launch, in this case older numbers might be better since we're presumably speculating the performance demands for BF3 at its launch through extrapolation of BC2.  "

I don't think it's really safe to speculate on that yet. Logically, optimizations from BC2 would carry over into BF3 where applicable, the only question is in the new tech behind BF3. By virtue of that tech being new, I doubt we can say anything one way or another.

Random other point: So... I just picked up Dragon Age 2, and it runs kinda sketchy on my GTX260 even though every part of my PC exceeds the recommended specs. Don't expect to run BF3 decently on anything less.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.