Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

The Battlefield 3 Pre-Order DLC Boycott

• 153 results
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Edit: THEY CAVED! HAIL TO THE INTERNET, BABY. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

LOL another silly butthurt boycott shindig amirite ? 
    rite ?  rite ?  rite ?  rite ?
     No, wrong!  :)

Anyways, thousands of people on Reddit (topic) and the official BF3 forums (topic / topic ) are pissed off about the fact that if you don't pre-order the game, maybe because you're getting it on christmas, or because you don't have the money right now, or because you wanna wait and read Jeff's review, there are going to be a couple of weapons/weapon perks that you will never, ever be able to use in multiplayer, while others will be using them against you.  
    And on a lighter note, you will also have to pay money to buy four BF2 maps re-imagined for BF3 while the pre-orderers have had for a month, for free.

That is as short and sweet and simply put as i can summarize it, and i think it makes some good sense.  

I've never been a part of a boycott, but now that i see proof that EA actually backed down once before, and since BF3 will be my game of the decade, a game i'm gonna be playing for at least 5 hours a day where i will frequently be seeing the injustice and community-splitting that EA's bullshit business causes,  i couldn't find a better issue to be a part of and take a stand. So i think i'm cancelling my pre-order and doing what a few thousand fans are doing aswell, sending an objection email to EA. 

Dude, this is silly, boycottsneverwork!! 

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

If Steam is one of the retailers getting this, then I really don't care.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By SSully

There is nothing different from this boycott then the ones you listed except you actually agree with it this time. So have fun with your butthurt boycott, as you call it.

SammydesinasNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By SammydesinasNL

People are also bitching about Karkand costing extra. 

But it doesn't.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
    BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By BulletproofMonk
    @SSully said:

There is nothing different from this boycott then the ones you listed except you actually agree with it this time. So have fun with your butthurt boycott, as you call it.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Bollard

/facepalm 

You know what I'm gunna do? I'm gunna buy the fucking game and I'll have fun playing Back to Karkand with my exclusive gun while you enjoy your butthurt boycott.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Pinworm45
    @Rolyatkcinmai said:

Steam ISN'T one of the retaillers getting this. In fact, it's not even getting this game at all. So yea.
    theoldhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By theoldhouse

People who preorder getting better weapons unavailable to those who don't  in the context of a competitive multiplayer is wrong. 

So yeah boycott away if you want.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By EuanDewar

I don't particularly care but uh...Good luck with that?

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By tebbit

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

I don't think you can even get it on Steam can you? It has to be through EA's stupid Origin thingie?

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By leebmx
    Yes pre-orders are stupid but I think you are overreacting a little 

@Ahmad_Metallic
    said:
     i couldn't find a better issue to be a part of and take a stand.   
    I really hope this is just issues in the games industry you are talking about because if not..........
    Mike76x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Mike76x

Pre-ordering doesn't make the game cost any more, what's the point of the boycott?
    To join people that want to wait for a price drop? To support people that have issues with pre-ordering? 
    It's cost me $5 to reserve at Gamestop, and I have 134 days to come up with the rest (about $0.43/ a day).   

BFBC2, I had the day one unlocks, and I still played horribly for weeks.
    When the game comes out no one's going to be dominating with an LMG, or a shotgun anyway so it doesn't matter.

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Twisted_Scot

So these people would rather not buy or play the game at all rather than miss out on a couple of pointless unlock that you'll no doubt be able to buy if you REALLY want them a month or so later? Awesome, that means there's gong to be less Fuck-witts online playing BF3 for the first month. People who boycott things like this are just idiots and only hurt themselves by missing out. I hate preorder bonuses in general but its not worth missing out on a game ive been looking forward to for years.

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
    deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theoldhouse said:
    People who preorder getting better weapons unavailable to those who don't  in the context of a competitive multiplayer is wrong.  So yeah boycott away if you want.
    Does it say anywhere if it's a better weapon? I imagine it's probably just a comparable different weapon.
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Pinworm45
    @Twisted_Scot said:
    So these people would rather not buy or play the game at all rather than miss out on a couple of pointless unlock that you'll no doubt be able to buy if you REALLY want them a month or so later? Awesome, that means there's gong to be less Fuck-witts online playing BF3 for the first month. People who boycott things like this are just idiots and only hurt themselves by missing out. I hate preorder bonuses in general but its not worth missing out on a game ive been looking forward to for years.
    If you've read OPs posts before, you know there's no way in hell he'd not buy this game. 

That's not the point. The point is that something about the game is bugging people, and if enough complain about it and join the boycott (regardless of whether or not they'll actually buy the game), it gets popular, it spreads to people who are less informed about the game and might decide "meh I hear that game has a shit reputation, I'll buy another game like MW3 instead". 

EA - no gaming company - wants that and thus are likely to fix the perceived problem, and then everyone is a winner. 

As much as people like to bitch about boycotts and petitions not working, they have an extremely high success rate. 

I personally don't give a shit about this issue though, I made my peace with pre-order horsefuck a while ago.
    PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#17  Edited By PhatSeeJay

@NeverDave said:

@theoldhouse said:
    People who preorder getting better weapons unavailable to those who don't in the context of a competitive multiplayer is wrong. So yeah boycott away if you want.
    Does it say anywhere if it's a better weapon? I imagine it's probably just a comparable different weapon.

I imagine it's just three pieces of crap they originally removed from the main game because they suck and add absolutely nothing to the balance. And I'm not counting the shotgun since it's a Day 1 unlock instead of an exclusive item.

I've pre-ordered the game since six months ago, and I'll boycott the DLC by not pre-ordering it from a retailer that offers this deal.

Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Potter9156

Wait, Ahmad is boycotting something BF related. And the rest of GB defends pre-order bonuses. 

A rift has opened. With reality on one side, and something bad on the other. I don't know where I am.

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Twisted_Scot
    @Pinworm45: A bunch of people on a website who are going to post their screen names under a heading of "i will not buy this game because the pre-order DLC pisses me off" but in reality will of course be picking this up will make zero difference to EA. Its the companies like Gamestop, Wallmart, Futureshop, best buy or whoever want the money so deal will always be made regardless of electronic signatures on some random site. Like you Ive also come to terms with being screwed over time and time again (just bought Rock star pass for LA Noire :)). There are hundreds of posts on GB with people who go on and on about boycotting COD games but you just know they will be online day 1. Just think people should stop moaning about DLC especially when its not even that great and will be available sometime in the future no doubt. While everyone who pays their $70 for the game DESERVES the same content it aint going to happen no matter how many thread fill the forums.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Twisted_Scot said:

@Pinworm45: A bunch of people on a website who are going to post their screen names under a heading of "i will not buy this game because the pre-order DLC pisses me off" but in reality will of course be picking this up will make zero difference to EA. Its the companies like Gamestop, Wallmart, Futureshop, best buy or whoever want the money so deal will always be made regardless of electronic signatures on some random site. Like you Ive also come to terms with being screwed over time and time again (just bought Rock star pass for LA Noire :)). There are hundreds of posts on GB with people who go on and on about boycotting COD games but you just know they will be online day 1. Just think people should stop moaning about DLC especially when its not even that great and will be available sometime in the future no doubt. While everyone who pays their $70 for the game DESERVES the same content it aint going to happen no matter how many thread fill the forums.

PC game. Pre-orders via digital sales matter most.

theoldhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By theoldhouse
    @PhatSeeJay: sure maybe 

I''m not boycotting it myself but I understand those that do. 
    SpanxMcFranks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By SpanxMcFranks

Ugh, I am already sick of this. I am sure the game isn't going to be broken because of some pre-order bonuses. After everyone plays for awhile nobody will be using the bonuses anymore.

On a side note, I love Reddit, but I can't look at the gaming stuff on that site. I get irate with the dumb things posted on the gaming subreddits.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Pinworm45
    @Twisted_Scot said:
    @Pinworm45: A bunch of people on a website who are going to post their screen names under a heading of "i will not buy this game because the pre-order DLC pisses me off" but in reality will of course be picking this up will make zero difference to EA. 
    Did you even read what I wrote? It's bad press. Bad press scares away potential customers, especially when EAs game plan is to take some of the pie from Modern Warfare. They absolutely do care, and the proof is in the fact that these types of boycotts have worked many times in the past. 
    DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DeeGee

Cancel your pre-order, EA doesn't back down, you end up buying the normal edition without the guns, you created a problem for yourself.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jeffsekai

This has to be the dumbest reason ever to boycott a game. It's one gun and it's probably going to be ass anyways, just another thing to use for vairaitys sake. Honestly if you're the type of person who see's this and goes fuck yea! lets boycott this shit! You're not really a fan of BF3, nothing is going to stop me from playing BF3, especially the lack of some gun.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jeffsekai

@SpanxMcFranks said:

Ugh, I am already sick of this. I am sure the game isn't going to be broken because of some pre-order bonuses. After everyone plays for awhile nobody will be using the bonuses anymore.

On a side note, I love Reddit, but I can't look at the gaming stuff on that site. I get irate with the dumb things posted on the gaming subreddits.

Thank god I'm not the only one.

monkeynuts8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By monkeynuts8

I agree with your sentiment, however I'm not sure just a boycott will do anything

Sogeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Sogeman

I preordered it just because of the maps. No need to do it otherwise. Stupid boycotters.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Pinworm45 said: 
    @Twisted_Scot said: 
    If you've read OPs posts before, you know there's no way in hell he'd not buy this game.  That's not the point. The point is that something about the game is bugging people, and if enough complain about it and join the boycott (regardless of whether or not they'll actually buy the game), it gets popular, it spreads to people who are less informed about the game and might decide "meh I hear that game has a shit reputation, I'll buy another game like MW3 instead".  EA - no gaming company - wants that and thus are likely to fix the perceived problem, and then everyone is a winner.  As much as people like to bitch about boycotts and petitions not working, they have an extremely high success rate.  I personally don't give a shit about this issue though, I made my peace with pre-order horsefuck a while ago.
    Exactly. 

I never said i'm not going to buy the game, am I? If i don't buy it i might as well commit suicide. 
    What we're doing here is making BF3 bomb on the pre-order lists, and spreading the word that something about the game is bogus. 

Like pinworm said, no company wants to be involved in any sort of controversy that has gone big enough to be discussed on big gaming websites (it happened before) and they'll do whatever they can to keep everyone's impressions of the game 100% positive. Also, they'd do their best to get those pre-orders back because these publishers compete over pre-order ranks. EA backed down with BF: Bad Company. it happened before.

@PhatSeeJay said: 

@NeverDave said:

@theoldhouse said:
    People who preorder getting better weapons unavailable to those who don't in the context of a competitive multiplayer is wrong. So yeah boycott away if you want.

I imagine it's just three pieces of crap they originally removed from the main game because they suck and add absolutely nothing to the balance. And I'm not counting the shotgun since it's a Day 1 unlock instead of an exclusive item.

It's not whether the stuff makes a difference or not, it's the principle. Giving me something, ANYTHING, in a competitive shooter that my enemy doesn't have, is WRONG. allow these little weapons/add-ons now, and you'll allow pandora's box to open. 

@DeeGee said:

Cancel your pre-order, EA doesn't back down, you end up buying the normal edition without the guns, you created a problem for yourself.

You didn't read the OP i see...  
    here : 

@Ahmad_Metallic said: 
    rite ?
    rite ?
    rite ?
    rite ?

No, wrong!  :)

Those yellow words are called links :P
    Evilmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By Evilmetal

you should watch this presentation from Ben Cousins (former EA employee):

(the embed above didn't appear properly, here is the link: http://www.slideshare.net/bcousins/paying-to-win )

His presentation explains a lot about the free to play mentality. However pay attention to what he says... you do not need a big imagination to see how knowledge learned from free to play can be introduced into paid products. I think this is a must watch presentation.. The best parts of his presentation begin with the slide that says "How did we get here?". Start from that slide.

Moving on...

Look at this video of P4F:

the video should start at about 1:50. Look at the kill cam and recall the BF3 multiplayer kill cam ( "ohhh... BF3 is pre-alpha" ... the idea is to observe their inspirations). They both seem similar.   

When you watch Ben Cousins presentation he talks about how in Korean gaming, clothing are nice DLCs... pets!!  Pets. So now you see Mass Effect 3 can allow a pet with the special edition. Pets... What EA learned from Neowiz is being trickled slowly into all their products. They have psycho-analyzed gamers to see when/how they will give their money... "how to we corral these animals and strip them of money?!!"
    Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Twisted_Scot
    @Pinworm45 said:
    @Twisted_Scot said:
    @Pinworm45: A bunch of people on a website who are going to post their screen names under a heading of "i will not buy this game because the pre-order DLC pisses me off" but in reality will of course be picking this up will make zero difference to EA. 
    Did you even read what I wrote? It's bad press. Bad press scares away potential customers, especially when EAs game plan is to take some of the pie from Modern Warfare. They absolutely do care, and the proof is in the fact that these types of boycotts have worked many times in the past. 
    Yes I did read what you said but I disagree. EA dont give a shit about it or you and I. You can throw "bad press" at any company and unless its killing their children they are not going to do anything about it. The best you MAY get is another way to download all the DLC on EAs new PC services like you would on XBL which will still may EA money. GTA has had some really bad press since it started and hasnt effected its sales in any real way (maybe even boosted them, after all there's no such thing as bad press right?). You say these boycotts have worked many time in the past? When? I'm pretty hard pressed to think of any. I remember people all getting pissed at the release of Valves Left 4 Dead 2 and signing petitions etc but look how well that worked out, made absolutely no difference. As for people running off to pick up MW3? You just have to look at any of the related posts on this forum to see the elitist BS going on in regards to these two games. Very very few BF3 players are going to jump ship to run out and buy a copy of MW3 instead. My point was in the scale of things I completely disagree and feel this will not even make a dent in EAs plans or decisions and If people want boycotts to work then they must be enforced. I don't go typing on forums about getting people to join me in a hunger strike to force confectionery companies to lower prices while stuffing Snickers bars into my face. There is no point in any of it unless people don't actually buy the game and we both know that isn't going to happen.
    DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DeeGee

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

@DeeGee said:

You didn't read the OP i see...
    here :

@Ahmad_Metallic said:
    rite ?
    rite ?
    rite ?
    rite ?

No, wrong! :)
    Those yellow words are called links :P

... what? What does that have to do with anything I said?

Taklulas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Taklulas
    @Pinworm45 said:
    @Rolyatkcinmai said:

Steam ISN'T one of the retaillers getting this. In fact, it's not even getting this game at all. So yea.
    wait wut 
    droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#34  Edited By droop

@billnyethesciencepie said:

*sigh*
    SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SomeJerk

I think it's stupid. I'm still going to pre-order because I'm dedicated. I'm thankful I live in Europe after checking out pre-order deals for Deus Ex Human Revolution and other games - we get it all.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @DeeGee:  You said "EA doesn't back down" .  those links show you that EA did back down before. 

??? 

profit
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Pinworm45
    @Twisted_Scot said:
    @Pinworm45 said:
    @Twisted_Scot said:
    Yes I did read what you said but I disagree. EA dont give a shit about it or you and I. You can throw "bad press" at any company and unless its killing their children they are not going to do anything about it.
    Except for the fact that they DO do things about it and have many times - which I said twice - and you ignored twice. 
    DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DeeGee

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

@DeeGee: You said "EA doesn't back down" . those links show you that EA did back down before. ??? profit

Oh right, so you think that because the small, small minority of petitions worked, they bend at the knee every time people have a problem with their pre-order DLC?

Good luck on that, I guess.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ShaneDev
    Why are people getting up in arms at pre-order DLC now? Is it because people thought EA wasn't going to do something like this or that they were better than Activision. The physical warfare pack was announced a while ago if I remember correctly so I dunno why people are getting so angry now. Nothing about two weapons sounds game breaking or able to split the community either.  Pre-order DLC is bullshit so your free to protest what ever you like but I think its bizarre  that everyone is annoyed at this game and not the dozens  of others that do it all the time. 

Reddits fine for links and odd funny comment but most of the people on there are some of the most reactionary and idiotic people I have seen post on the internet, especially for r/gaming which is just a big fucking mess of morons who think they are smart because more morons agree with them.
    Will1Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Will1Lucky

Still not bought DA2 because of this nonsense, I think I can safely avoid this.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really think EA cares, I'm still Pre Ordering because I love the Battlefield games not because of some DLC.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#42  Edited By buft

Nope my preorder is in and with a retailer in the uk that has both bonuses confirmed. I boycotted your boycott.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Chummy8

I like signing up for boycotts for games that I never intended on buying anyway.  Like the one for Modern Warfare.

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Twisted_Scot
    @Pinworm45 said:
    @Twisted_Scot said:
    @Pinworm45 said:
    @Twisted_Scot said:
    Yes I did read what you said but I disagree. EA dont give a shit about it or you and I. You can throw "bad press" at any company and unless its killing their children they are not going to do anything about it.
    Except for the fact that they DO do things about it and have many times - which I said twice - and you ignored twice. 
    Which I asked you my previous post where I asked you for examples of times when boycotts like this have worked like I did for Left 4 Dead 2 which you just ignored it seems. The bottom line is if people got together and brought in the help of consumer advice / help groups then maybe, just maybe something would come of it but posting on the internet the they are boycotting a game and then buying it is pointless. Companies will only take notice when something costs them money. If Guitar hero were still making cash im sure they would have unveiled Guitar Hero : Emo Rock edition at E3. If it doest directly effect sales it means less than nothing.
    Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45  Edited By Sitoxity

Eh, weapons I'd most likely never even use. I pre-ordered so I get Karkand maps, which is what I want. Also got a 20% discount.

I can understand the frustration, it happened with Dragon Age 2 as well, but I'll say now, what I said then. "You had time to get this DLC, don't complain that you didn't get it when it was free."

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Chummy8

Pointless.  No game company would give out bonuses to pre-orders that would ruin/break the game.  Like a freaking BFG or bulletproof armor.  At best, these are marginal upgrades to weapons already in the game.  Maybe a slight advantage, but not one that would make anything unfair. 

That's why most preorder bonuses are crap.  I'm not too excited about seeing the digital character in a new suit or something.  

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#47  Edited By Bouke

So what if was already planning on pre-ordering a copy of BF3!? Still boycot the game, or maybe go online with some of my sweet extra perks and shoot some sad people who didn't pre-order in the face!?
    DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By DrPockets000

That's ok, I'll preorder it twice and make up for you.

Avatar image for thekeyboarddemon
    TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon

Man that really sucks, good luck with the boycott, I most likely won't be thinking about you or the boycott when my pre-order copy lands on my door step and I can play the game at last.

I know loads of people that are planning on spending a small fortune on building high spec rigs just for this game, seriously when you're going to offload £1k+ on a killer rig it's not that hard to spend £30 on a pre-order, which is £10 less than the normal retail price and the game will not launch until October. 

Even at a full £40srp if you can't find that sort of money between now and October than you have bigger issues to think about other than whether or not you should be pre-ordering a computer game.

krisgebis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By krisgebis

Didn't know buttsex was so popular among gamers these days. Have fun with that

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.