Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

The multiplayer voiceover in this game is incredibly annoying.

KalAl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By KalAl

"We have lost the objective. We have lost the objective! I REPEAT WE HAVE LOST THE OBJECTIVE!"

Yeah, I heard you the first time.

"Um, I just wanted to, uh, confirm that the sighting of the tank is, uh, true, uh, over."

How helpful.

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Still_I_Cry

"There's a tank! How did you guys miss that motherfucker?!"

Something along those lines :P

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Vorbis

"I'm getting my shit pushed in".

Is my favourite so far, it left my squad rather disturbed.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Venatio

You know what game has amazing multiplayer voiceover? Uncharted 3 with Jennifer Hale

Codeacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Codeacious

"BE ADVISED"

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Donos

Oh god, the "uhh, uhhh, tank, uhh" line. I get that they want some realism in that soldiers shouldn't be shouting perfectly phrased lines, but I know in a paintball game I can call targets way better than that. Please make your soldiers at least as competent as little old untrained me.

KalAl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By KalAl

Yeah, realism's great, but the voices should be functional. I'm trying to concentrate on piloting this helicopter for more that two seconds without flipping it the fuck over. I don't need to hear some guy yell "WHAT DE FAHK ARE WE GONNA DO ABOUT DIS GUYS?!" and other various distracting shit in a terrible Russian accent.

PosichronicNet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PosichronicNet

You're tearing me apart enemy machine gunner!

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By emergency

@Donos said:

Oh god, the "uhh, uhhh, tank, uhh" line. I get that they want some realism in that soldiers shouldn't be shouting perfectly phrased lines, but I know in a paintball game I can call targets way better than that. Please make your soldiers at least as competent as little old untrained me.

Comparing paintball to war. Sweet.

Divina_Rex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Divina_Rex

I don't understand why the Russian guy always says "buuurrraah" after finishing his lines.

ericdrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By ericdrum

@KalAl: What's wrong with being sexy?

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Twisted_Scot

I can't remember the exact phrase but I love the one that goes something like "Hey guuuuuuyysss, we lost the objective.....we should fall back". It sounds so whiny & unimportant  it makes me laugh every time I hear it.

Crixaliz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Crixaliz

The voice work in Crysis 2 multiplayer and Bad Company 2 was also pretty terrible.

I like most of them in MW2 and BlackOps.

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By xMP44x
    @Crixaliz said:

The voice work in Crysis 2 multiplayer and Bad Company 2 was also pretty terrible.

I like most of them in MW2 and BlackOps.

I actually thought the voice work in Bad Company 2 was among the best of any online shooter I'd played. The Russians sounded Russian, the Americans sounded American, and everyone shot each other with believable voices. What's not to love?
    Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Donos

Yay, my browser doesn't support replies or quotes. @emergency I'm fairly sure the english language functions the same no matter where you are. The only difference between describing where something is in a real battle, a paintball field, or a city street is the stress level, and a person who is so stressed they can't say "Hey, there's a tank" probably shouldn't be fighting.

Zatoichi_Sanjuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Zatoichi_Sanjuro

It's not so much the VO, as the specific VO of that DICE employee. He sounds like a totally effeminate brah.

Can't remember his name, but he did the live stream previews, and the Jimmy Fallon show demo.

bcjohnnie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By bcjohnnie

My favorite is when I'm mashing the spot button and I'm a squad leader...

Attack this Objective!

Attack this Objective!

Attack this Objective!

Attack this Objective!

At some point he sounds like a mentally challenged person who got hold of a comm unit.

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Donos

@Zatoichi wait that's a DICE employee? I guess it makes sense considering the lines aren't supposed to be acted.

xdaknightx69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xdaknightx69

i miss the " we have got this one , FUCK THEM!" that was the best one

Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
    Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn

I like it when my guy shouts "Fry you son of a bitch" when I'm reviving someone

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#21  Edited By natetodamax

"Watch out, I'm gonna tear him a new asshole!" is the worst line in the game.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By AhmadMetallic

AUTHENTICITY, BRAH

Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By Sitoxity

At least they don't say "BE ADVISED" in front of literally every line, like they did in the beta.

KalAl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By KalAl

@ericdrum: It's like, how much more annoying can these ingame voices get? And the answer is... none. None more annoying.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25  Edited By Seppli

@KalAl said:

"We have lost the objective. We have lost the objective! I REPEAT WE HAVE LOST THE OBJECTIVE!"

"Um, I just wanted to, uh, confirm that the sighting of the tank is, uh, true, uh, over."

How helpful.

As a HUGE fan of 'Generation Kill' - the HBO miniseries about the first two weeks of the second American Iraq invasion and adaption of the book of the same name... DICE nailed it. That's exactly how the radio transmissions sound. Same for the HBO documentary about Americans taking over some Afghani village which was on sometime ago. Exactly how all this stuff sounds like in BF3.

Now the question is what you want out of your game. Generation Kill like authenticity or whatever you like best. They delivered what they went for. You don't like it and that's okay. I dig it though.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MrKlorox

This is what happens when your VO director doesn't speak the language natively. I think it sounds pretty awful. And the British grammar with the American accents just sucks. I hope they patch new voices in.

@Seppli said:

@KalAl said:

How helpful.

As a HUGE fan of 'Generation Kill' - the HBO miniseries about the first two weeks of the second American Iraq invasion and adaption of the book of the same name... DICE nailed it. That's exactly how the radio transmissions sound. Same for the HBO documentary about Americans taking over some Afghani village which was on sometime ago. Exactly how all this stuff sounds like in BF3.

Now the question is what you want out of your game. Generation Kill like authenticity or whatever you like best. They delivered what they went for. You don't like it and that's okay. I dig it though.

I think it only sounds the same to you filtered through your ears. I get that they were trying to replicate it, but they failed. As an American who speaks the native tongue, it sounds way off.
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Azteck
    @PosichronicNet said:

You're tearing me apart enemy machine gunner!

I love you so much.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By mikemcn

I'm too busy listening to nearby mortar and rpg impacts (Which sound awesome btw.)to actually hear any VO.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Seppli

@MrKlorox said:

This is what happens when your VO director doesn't speak the language natively. I think it sounds pretty awful. And the British grammar with the American accents just sucks. I hope they patch new voices in.

@Seppli said:

@KalAl said:

How helpful.

I think it only sounds the same to you filtered through your ears. I get that they were trying to replicate it, but they failed. As an American who speaks the native tongue, it sounds way off.

Wierd. They used real marines for that stuff. And did you listen to the com-messages in the intros and outros of Generation Kill? Where they seem to playback actual wartapes?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Seppli

@KalAl said:

@ericdrum: It's like, how much more annoying can these ingame voices get? And the answer is... none. None more annoying.

No man can sound as annoying as 'a nagging/scolding/bossy mother/wife/girlfriend/bosslady/policeofficer/well any woman' ever. Seriously - you got ladyparts in your pants or something?

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#31  Edited By Giantstalker

Although I'm int he Canadian forces, not American, I've worked with the US Army and Marines in Afghanistan... most of them sound like that over the radio, I thought it was pretty well done in BF3 & BC2. Same with weapons effects

FYI 'by the book' radio procedure is rarely observed by platoon or even company nets overseas, srry to burst anyone's bubble

can't speak for the Russian dialogue though heh

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Seppli said:

@MrKlorox said:

@Seppli said:

@KalAl said:

How helpful.

Wierd. They used real soldiers for that stuff. And did you listen to the com-messages in the intros and outros of Generation Kill? Where they seem to playback actual wartapes?

I'm talking about stuff like "The enemy HAVE taken..." and the exaggerated cadence of the "UH"s and weird phrasing. In American grammar, we would say "The enemy HAS taken..." The dude saying "uh" sounds like he's reading them verbatim from a script instead of actually trying to find the words to say. It sounds like they hired real soldiers instead of actors to do the voicework, and put them in a studio with a person who has a very loose understanding of American speech to tell them how to deliver the lines. I absolutely get the intentions, but the delivery is always so terrible.

If this was the circumstance, I think the soldiers would have done better delivering lines they devised themselves after playing the game for an hour and being given scenarios like "you see a tank, now tell your squad." Instead it sounds like somebody with a weak understanding of American English told them "read this line".
    ericdrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ericdrum

@KalAl: "They see us on the battlefield with tight trousers and we've got, you know, 1911s in our trousers. I mean, it's really quite frightening, the size."

Avatar image for deactivated-59694a80bc6d9
    deactivated-59694a80bc6d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

It's the lack of urgency that protrudes, if I were in that situation I doubt i'd be that calm on the radio.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.