Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

Where are the jets!

Boiglenoight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Boiglenoight

I have a love/hate relationship with the air vehicles in Battlefield 2. On the one hand, I love piloting the chopper with the HOTAS Saitek I have, especially ferrying squads in the Blackhawk. However, I freaking hate the jets, partly because I can't fly them (too fast for my reflexes) and because when I see one, I tend to die briefly after. However, Battlefield 3 wouldn't be a Battlefield game if it didn't have these demons of the sky, and aside from a few brief shots in the videos that have been released, there's been scant information about jets or choppers.

Liber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Liber

Wake Island and Gulf of Oman will have jets.

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By JCTango

Yeah, it really depends on what kind of maps we'll be seeing in this game.  A lot of people complained about the jet whoring and domination that happened in previous versions of Battlefield 2, so maybe they're trying to address that.  If we get a lot of those vast open maps, I'm sure we'll see some air vehicles in there.

Boiglenoight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Boiglenoight

I could go for more effective surface-to-air weapons. There was a time where SAMs were effective against jets, but hardcore pilots complained and the SAMs were nerfed. There's got to be a happy middle ground.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SomeJerk

Q: Where are the jets in BF3
    A: Not shown yet

Q: Why does BF3 look like BC2
    A: Because MP gameplay demos, leaked and official, only show Rush mode which is BC2 as hell

Q: Will I need a fat six-core i7 and SLI/CF cards and 12 gigs of RAM to run this at a playable framerate on PC? 
    A: If you have a decent quadcore and graphics card and 4+ gigs of RAM you're perfectly fine

edit: fixed formatting, fuck the new editor

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By AhmadMetallic

DICE are scared shitless of the community, and they also don't seem to have a big enough portion of the game finished.. 

so they'll keep feeding us operation metro for now

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By JCTango
    @keef said:

I could go for more effective surface-to-air weapons. There was a time where SAMs were effective against jets, but hardcore pilots complained and the SAMs were nerfed. There's got to be a happy middle ground.

I'm gonna sound like a fanboy but the Project Reality mod for Battlefield 2 had it right in terms of balance between air combat and ground - While they did allow air vehicles to be massive aerial monsters of destruction, they also allowed the ground troops as well as surface-to-air vehicles to take down those airplanes pretty effectively.  A pilot only went into a hot zone if and only if he got word that it was safe to do so (s.a. vehicles taken out, SAM infantry taken out, etc.).  If he didn't heed to caution, he wouldn't last very long (and when a vehicle gets destroyed in Project Reality, the respawn time is pretty long - leaving their team without a crucial asset for a while).  

If they did a similar paper-rock-scissor counter system in Battlefield 3, as well as some sort of penalty/wait time for respawn when a crucial team element is lost, I'd imagine they would be OK for balance - it'd also promote more teamwork in a multiplayer game.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By mikemcn
    @somejerk Maybe it looks like BC2 because they're using what they learned from BC2, and regardless of mode it will still be basically the same.
    SammydesinasNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SammydesinasNL

No jets in Rush and it's difficult to release good footage of conquest.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.