Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

Your opinion on faction specific weaponry?

• 62 results
    Twitchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Twitchey

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I don't care at all.

Twitchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Twitchey

I hated how in Battlefield BC 2 you could be an American soldier using a Russian weapon. I thought it made no sense.

Whenever I play BC 2 I always use weapons retaining to the faction team I'm on.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Three0neFive

Meh. As long as each faction's exclusive weapons are roughly equivalent, I'm fine with it.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont care

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Wemibelle

A gun is a gun is a gun.  The only defining characteristics to me with weapons in military shooters are what type of gun is it (AR, SMG, LMG, etc.) and whether it's fully auto or fires in bursts (or does both, of course).
    SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By SSully

Its not a big deal, but I prefer faction specific weapons. I just feel off playing as an opposing force such as Russia and using an m4. Of course the weapons have to be balanced. So dont bother if they aren't

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RsistncE

One of the things that made counter-strike and all the BF games (BF2 and earlier) awesome was faction specific weapons that were different than the weapons on the other team. Developers don't like to do it because it takes them extra time to make extra weapons and also ensuring that even though they're different they're still balanced.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By TobbRobb

I prefer faction specific for realism, as long as it doesn't fu ck with the balance.

No cod 2 MP44, I have no idea what you are talking about.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By Vinny_Says

you can still pick up AKs off dead mujaheddin right?

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By bicycleham

Realistic Faction Specific weaponry is something I drool over. Last time I checked, Russians don't use M4's, G36's, and M79 Grenade Launchers.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Pinworm45

I'm extremely picky about what weapons I use. I straight up quit games if I'm put on a stupid team that has dumb AK47s.

I want to be able to choose my weapon, I don't care if it's not realistic. Neither are self repairing tanks.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Spoonman671

I really don't see it adding anything to the game.  If you want some kind of logical continuity, then you probably shouldn't be playing a Battlefield game.

Twitchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Twitchey

@Vinny_Says said:

you can still pick up AKs off dead mujaheddin right?

Yes.

Also I just read on the Battlefield Wiki that when you max out a specific class, you unlock all faction weapons for that class. Although it said it will take roughly 100 hours to unlock everything so I'm guessing 25 hours per class.

infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By infininja

I find a weapon I like and stick with it for a while. Arbitrary faction designations impede that. I do believe they said you can unlock the other side's weapons at the end of the unlock trees, like Medal of Honor.

Codeacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Codeacious

Always faction specific if possible. It makes the game look that much more polished- case in point, Battlefield 2.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By 137

In the og battlefield 2 some of the faction specific weapons I enjoyed better. Like the M4 for the americans on spec ops, but having the option to use your unlocks at that point it didn't matter which faction you were apart of and everyone rocking the sniper class was using a barrett lol

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SeriouslyNow

KILL DUDE, TAKEN GUN. WHERE PROBLEM?

solidlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By solidlife

Aslong as they can balance it.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Vodun

From a realism point of view I don't see it make much of a difference. There is nothing stopping me from picking up the weapons of my dead enemies, and at the same time I won't be issued with an AK as an American soldier.

What does bother me is when you introduce gun specific leveling, and you're forced to use different weapons when playing for different factions. Say I enjoy the M4 and want to level that, if I'm forced to use an AK74 instead when on the Russian team that's gonna feel like a waste of time.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Pinworm45 said:

I'm extremely picky about what weapons I use. I straight up quit games if I'm put on a stupid team that has dumb AK47s.

I want to be able to choose my weapon, I don't care if it's not realistic. Neither are self repairing tanks.

You run from a challenge? Glad I won't be playing with you much. I hate prima donnas when I play competitively. Play for fun and push hard. Don't ragequit because you can't get the weapon or vehicle you want.

Self repairing tanks are realistic. Military vehicles have failover systems and crews which often bring them back into semi working order (nav, controls, firing mechanisms) in the midst of battle and especially after firing has died down some.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22  Edited By Marz

It's a similar idea DICE did with Medal Of Honor 2010.    Taliban had russian made guns while Marines had the standard american weapons, it worked out fairly well.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm indifferent to it for the most part, but it is annoying some times. For example, having to level up the AK-74M and the M-16 in the BF3 alpha.

I'm completely fine with it if you unlock things for the equivalent gun on the other side as you unlock things for the side you are playing. However, they could just get rid of the bull-shit level up to unlock attachments thing, and it would be all good. I honestly hate that most shooters these days require you to level up to get access to weapons and attachments for them.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Every weapon in the entire game should be faction specific 

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By swoxx

@Three0neFive said:

Meh. As long as each faction's exclusive weapons are roughly equivalent, I'm fine with it.

I'm with this guy right here. Expect internet rage about one side being over-powered because of supposed imbalance though

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Pinworm45

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Pinworm45 said:

You run from a challenge? Glad I won't be playing with you much. I hate prima donnas when I play competitively. Play for fun and push hard. Don't ragequit because you can't get the weapon or vehicle you want.

Self repairing tanks are realistic. Military vehicles have failover systems and crews which often bring them back into semi working order (nav, controls, firing mechanisms) in the midst of battle and especially after firing has died down some.

Has nothing to do with the challenge. I'd rather play with a shit gun that looks modern and good than an overpowered AK. Which is kind of ironic, considering AK variants are traditionally the more powerful weapons (see BLOPS), so I have no idea at what point challenge entered into it at all.

Purely cosmetic.

Way to miss the second point. I guess regenerating health in games is explained too by the fact that our bodies have self healing mechanisms.

Everything is so serious

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Arker101

If a game forces me to have vastly different guns depending on whether I'm Red team or Blue team that is bad for gameplay, if it's just skins then it's alright. Also depends on gametypes.

If your game is going for pure realism sure, but if you'r going for a fun, but competitive multiplayer shooter, give everyone an even playing field.

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Donos

@Pinworm45: This may not by 100% accurate, but in the BLOPS time period, the AK was the modern weapon.

@Arker101: The key is that we're not talking about vastly different weapons. The last place I saw this implemented was in Medal of Honor, and even though the guns were different and handled differently, they still worked in the same situations and I certainly never felt an imbalance. I can't really think of a game that has had faction-specific weapons that was hurt by it.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29  Edited By huntad

@RsistncE said:

One of the things that made counter-strike and all the BF games (BF2 and earlier) awesome was faction specific weapons that were different than the weapons on the other team. Developers don't like to do it because it takes them extra time to make extra weapons and also ensuring that even though they're different they're still balanced.

Yup, I agree with this entirely.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Arker101

@Donos: I understand that we're not comparing a burst fire gun to a full auto F2000, but to me when you have statistically and visually different guns for different teams(even in a attack/defend asymmetrical environment) that skews the balance a bit. I know most will just yell adapt or die to my argument, but I'm one of the guys that I know when my team has the bad spawn or since we're red team on an ice map we're at a contrast based disadvantage, meaning we can't sneak around and it's easier to aim at us.

As long as there's a gun for every different environment there won't be a problem, but I know that there will always be the mindset "well since we're playing X team on this Y map we'll lose because the other teams weapons have Z advantage. Might as well quit out now."

gaggle64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By gaggle64

Works for me, it'll encourage me to use some of the firearms I normally wouldn't.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Ill find what works and then stick with it.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33  Edited By Seppli

Gameplay over realism. I like my guns. Faction specific guns suck.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Pinworm45 said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Pinworm45 said:

Has nothing to do with the challenge. I'd rather play with a shit gun that looks modern and good than an overpowered AK. Which is kind of ironic, considering AK variants are traditionally the more powerful weapons (see BLOPS), so I have no idea at what point challenge entered into it at all.

Purely cosmetic.

Way to miss the second point. I guess regenerating health in games is explained too by the fact that our bodies have self healing mechanisms.

Everything is so serious

Overpowered AK? Where are you getting your ideas of what guns BF3 will have on offer?

infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By infininja

@SeriouslyNow said:

KILL DUDE, TAKEN GUN. WHERE PROBLEM?

You take the whole kit in Battlefield.

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Pinworm45 said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Pinworm45 said:

Purely cosmetic.

Everything is so serious

Overpowered AK? Where are you getting your ideas of what guns BF3 will have on offer?

Probably the list of guns that BF3 will have on offer.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Infininja:I'm a serious BF player, but thanks for the advice. I'm sorry you didn't get my joke. That list shows two, possibly three AKs and none of them are overpowered.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MooseyMcMan

If realism is what they are going for, then by all means. I've never seen American soldiers using AK-47s. Unless it's Rambo or something. Again, the height of realism.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Seppli

@MooseyMcMan said:

If realism is what they are going for, then by all means. I've never seen American soldiers using AK-47s. Unless it's Rambo or something. Again, the height of realism.

It's Battlefield they're going for. Some Battlefield games have some faction specific weapons, others don't.

Ever heard the expression 'Rambo-Jesus'? Pretty sure the Battlefield 2 community invented that term for the medic class. Battlefield is a game where you can parachute out of a chopper/plane and drop dynamite/C4 on tanks below you. Where you climb in and out of vehicles at the push of a button instantly, without a fancy realistic animation.

Battlefield is less realistic than Halo in some ways, yet it feels a lot more authentic. It's physical. It's believable. It feels right. But Battlefield is certainly not realistic.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@Seppli: If I were feeling more ambitious, I would argue against even thinking that Halo is more realistic in some ways. IT IS NONSENSE!

But I don't feel ambitious.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Seppli

@MooseyMcMan said:

@Seppli: If I were feeling more ambitious, I would argue against even thinking that Halo is more realistic in some ways. IT IS NONSENSE!

It emphasizes animation over gameplay - like climbing into vehicles with lenghty 'realistic' animations. For one.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By DystopiaX

Don't care as long as its balanced.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@Seppli said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

It emphasizes animation over gameplay - like climbing into vehicles with lenghty 'realistic' animations. For one.

You're telling me that Battlefield doesn't have climbing into stuff animations?! No wonder those games suck! I counter with alien zombie monsters!

Ocean_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Ocean_H

@MooseyMcMan said:

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@Ocean_H: I didn't watch the video, so my statement is still true. I have never seen it. NEVER! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Seppli

@MooseyMcMan said:

@Seppli said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

You're telling me that Battlefield doesn't have climbing into stuff animations?! No wonder those games suck! I counter with alien zombie monsters!

You're not getting what I'm saying. I say unchecked 'realism' sucks. It gets in the way of fun and 'fair game' more often than not.

Oh - Earth is a unique snowflake, just like you... erm... wait... you're one in billions. Not that it matters. I always say, 99% of us just support the top of the pyramid (minus those unfortunate and unprivileged and uncivilized enough not to and those few that don't want to). Let them with choppers instead of cars for personal transportation care for such trivial things as alien tentacle monsters and Mexican donkey shows.

Peace, out!

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@Seppli: I know. I was joking. JOKING! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Spoonman671

My ears were tingling--did somebody say "donkey show"?

infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By infininja

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Infininja:I'm a serious BF player, but thanks for the advice. I'm sorry you didn't get my joke. That list shows two, possibly three AKs and none of them are overpowered.

I don't find jokes funny when they make no sense. Taking a whole kit isn't a solution when you just want the one gun. That's all. I don't think the AKs are overpowered either, especially not universally so as @Pinworm45 appears to be suggesting.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Infininja said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

I don't find jokes funny when they make no sense. Taking a whole kit isn't a solution when you just want the one gun. That's all. I don't think the AKs are overpowered either, especially not universally so as @Pinworm45 appears to be suggesting.

The joke makes perfect sense. BF games are always centered around a specific gun, it's why the gun always shows on the ground.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By mikeeegeee

Okay, this thread is all well and good, but nobody has mentioned the strategic value of faction specific weapons.

They make different sounds. It's just one more way to quickly form a conclusion about whether or not you're coming up on friendlies or the enemy. In my experience with faction specific weapons and a lack of radar/HUD elements, the sound of a weapon can be a great tool in this regard.

As an aside: Many times on Pavlov in Call of Duty 1, I'd be looking out the window with my Kar98k only to hear a Mosin Nagant being fired in the room next door. Alarm bells, man.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.