Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 4

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Oct 29, 2013

DICE's popular multiplayer-focused shooter series continues, making its debut appearance on the PS4 and Xbox One.

PC Version still crashing a lot for you guys?

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

Seems totally random, sometimes it's when i respawn, sometimes when changing loadout items, sometimes during map cycles or even mid gameplay. Game just crashes to desktop. I'm above the min specs and about at the reccommended specs to run this but it still crashes on me. Any suggestions?

• Phenom II 965 X4 @ 3.4 Ghz
    • 12 GB DDR3 @ 1333
    • 2 x HD7770's in Crossfire mode. Catalyst 13.9
    • Windows 8.1 Pro MCE (happened also on Win 7 Pro 64-bit)
    mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

I see game hangs (on nvidia) every so often, there is a patch coming out next week I believe so I would wait for that.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mosdl: that's weird, most of the time i'm averaging 50 fps on high settings @ 1920x1080 then suddenly it just crashes to desktop, no hang, no warning.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By colourful_hippie

Game is still fucked to an extent, it's the game's fault, not your hardware. You're a lot less likely to run into problems in servers that aren't the full 64 player count. I get a lot more issues from the full 64 player servers.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

It's been fine for me. I mostly just get that no sound bug every now and again.

endoworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I bought this yesterday while onsale . Played one match fine then crashed on map change. Decided to call it a night.

chrjz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By chrjz

Mostly fine for me on 32 player servers... I've had a couple crashes but it hasn't been nearly as big deal as I've seen it made out to be. Also, on Nvidia hardware.

Trillian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Trillian

Still crashing on map change, and once in a while mid game play. all crashes go straight to desktop. And like TheHT said that stupid sound bug where sound cuts out is still there.

Huey2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Huey2k2

It's funny, I hear stuff about all the problems the PC version has, and the only issue I have ever seen is the audio cutting at weird times on one of the maps (I can't remember the name of it).

Otherwise everything has been fine here, never had any crashes, major framerate issues, etc.

I play on 64 player servers, on intel/nvidia hardware.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ajamafalous

@trillian said:

Still crashing on map change, and once in a while mid game play. all crashes go straight to desktop. And like TheHT said that stupid sound bug where sound cuts out is still there.

Yes to all of these.

@huey2k2 said:

It's funny, I hear stuff about all the problems the PC version has, and the only issue I have ever seen is the audio cutting at weird times on one of the maps (I can't remember the name of it).

Otherwise everything has been fine here, never had any crashes, major framerate issues, etc.

It's not our fault; it's either EA/DICE or whoever's hosting the server. I was playing with a group of five last night and whenever one of us crashed, the rest of us crashed at the same time. Happened about four times throughout the night. Most of the crashing seems to be server-based and not hardware-based.

Huey2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Huey2k2

@trillian said:

Yes to all of these.

@huey2k2 said:

It's not our fault; it's either EA/DICE or whoever's hosting the server. I was playing with a group of five last night and whenever one of us crashed, the rest of us crashed at the same time. Happened about four times throughout the night. Most of the crashing seems to be server-based and not hardware-based.

I wasn't implying it was your fault.

I just find it funny is all. PC gaming can be so finicky sometimes, a whole bunch of people having problems all over the map, while some have no problems at all.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

I played a couple of full 64 player game last night on the gb official servers and didn't have a problem crashing.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played a couple of full 64 player game last night on the gb official servers and didn't have a problem crashing.

So did I and I got 2 crashes during a play session of a couple hours.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since the last patch it´s a lot more stable. But I still get the occasional crash (soundloop, have to kill the app in taskmanager) every once in a while.

Man, this game.. I thought it wouldn´t be possible to ship in a more broken state than BF3- but the clever Swedes at DICE once again proved me wrong! Well played.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@colourful_hippie said:

@i_stay_puft said:

So did I and I got 2 crashes during a play session of a couple hours.

Hmmm weird, I just got the game a few days ago and remember hearing the games would crash when the maps major events happened. Didn't see anything like that during my run through so that might be the reason why I didn't see any.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Subjugation

@theht: Duuuude, I didn't even know that was a thing. I just thought my game got oddly quiet compared to BF3. Good to know it isn't just me. I was also getting some nasty stuttering but I think I might have taken care of that by doing the core unparking trick.

This game would be great if it wasn't so broken.

miikelzelda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By miikelzelda

Hah, as someone who plays exclusively 64 player Conquest and does not enjoy Battlefield otherwise, I am so glad I still haven't bought that game. I'll keep playing BF3, this game sounds like a mess!

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

not really.. oddly only when i play on the BG server :)

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah. I get audio cutting out pretty often, and textures not loading. And some occasional stuttering. And I know it has nothing to do with my graphics card. Every other game works as intended.

Cluter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Audio cutting out is what I'm getting with certain maps, especially the Train one... forgot the name of it. The stuttering is getting worse I think. That is, in my whole 3 days of playing.

Also if you're crashing out, with the audio repeating every half second or so, try playing in Borderless mode. Seems to help people out. I played a couple matches and it hasn't crashed for me yet, although it was only a couple matches.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I have the Xbox One crash -- the best bug they're looking into is the one where you launch the game, it goes black, back to the home screen. Try and launch again, crash, back to the home screen. Turn the console off, same again. Turn it off again, then it works, then it crashes during a match.

Keep your PC, I have next-generation bugs!!!

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jsnyder82

Audio cutting out is what I'm getting with certain maps, especially the Train one... forgot the name of it. The stuttering is getting worse I think. That is, in my whole 3 days of playing.

Also if you're crashing out, with the audio repeating every half second or so, try playing in Borderless mode. Seems to help people out. I played a couple matches and it hasn't crashed for me yet, although it was only a couple matches.

Yeah, the train level is definitely the worst.

cid798

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've only had crashes with the campaign. They've been specific so I'll list them. As far as multiplayer I've had 0 problems. Running x64 for both unless otherwise stated.

• Crash 1 During the beginning when the chopper crashes while the building is collapsing still with Dunn. Happened once, relaunched, didn't reoccur.
    • Crash 2 After entering the hatch and going into the underwater swimming section with Kovic. Attempted at least 5-6 times, always when making that first left where swim/turn controls appear on screen. Was able to get through it on the x86 version.
    • Crash 3 continuing in x86 from Crash 2 I played to this point of a new chapter where while walking behind Hannah and she starts talking to Irish, the same DirectX Error crash occurred all 3 times.

dxgi_error_device_hung

All drivers up to date, dxsetup run in admin mode. Who knows maybe I'll get past crash 3 with x64 until I have to use x86 to get past whatever happens next.

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By Zurv

@oldmanlight: you should be using 13.11 beta drivers.

Feature Highlights of The AMD Catalyst 13.11 Beta8 Driver for Windows

• Resolves intermittent crashes experienced with Battlefield 4 on Windows 8 based systems
    • Increases AMD CrossFire​™​ scaling up to an additional 20% for Battlefield 4

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
    deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll get the no-sound audio bug from time to time. Generally only on the massive map with the railroad, and only when there are 64 people on the server. I'll also get it on the level with the dam, but for whatever reason that's probably the map I've played the *least* on.

I'll also get the occasional crash when the server is switching maps. No idea what's going on there.

Avatar image for deactivated-602e775c560ca
    deactivated-602e775c560ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had it crash on me once during game on Siege of Shanghai. Other than that, when I would try to change my video settings from Medium to High, it crashed on me twice. It's been alright since.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zurv said:

@oldmanlight: you should be using 13.11 beta drivers.

Feature Highlights of The AMD Catalyst 13.11 Beta8 Driver for Windows

• Resolves intermittent crashes experienced with Battlefield 4 on Windows 8 based systems
    • Increases AMD CrossFire​™​ scaling up to an additional 20% for Battlefield 4

i just downloaded and started using those this weekend. Still Crashes to desktop. Performance is great while it's running. but every once in a while it just crashes randomly. Maybe i'll stick to the 32 player servers since those seem to be where the game is most stable.

Cluter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like they've fixed the audio cutting out on maps with the new update rolling out Dec 3rd.

Dec 3 PC Game Update Notes

-Removed the blur effect on soldiers that appeared when Commanders were using EMP attacks

-Fixed the audio bug where audio sometimes randomly dropped out while playing on certain multiplayer maps (typically Golmud Railway and Hainan Resort)

-Fixed the "one-hit kill bug" where occasionally damage from a single bullet was applied multiple times

-Fixed a common crash that would occur when exiting from the Single Player Campaign to Main Menu

-Tweaked the network and computer performance screen to show proper values. Players can now test their computer and network connection and get recommendations if they need to adjust something to improve their gameplay experience

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Ravelle

Unacceptably a lot, 5 crashes within 10 minutes and not able to reconnect after. Didn't get to complete one match.

I could care less about my level and points but these crashes and connect fails is just wasting my time. It seems the update won't fix these yet and I'm pretty much done with it if this continues.

I get two types of crashes: One is that the game locks up with the audio loop and the other is the BF4.exe stopped working. And there's the Battlelog errors of not being able to connect.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravelle said:

Unacceptably a lot, 5 crashes within 10 minutes and not able to reconnect after. Didn't get to complete one match.

I could care less about my level and points but these crashes and connect fails is just wasting my time. It seems the update won't fix these yet and I'm pretty much done with it if this continues.

I get two types of crashes: One is that the game locks up with the audio loop and the other is the BF4.exe stopped working. And there's the Battlelog errors of not being able to connect.

i've only gotten the looping audio freeze/crash maybe twice, but more often it's a sudden and quick crash to desktop usually after some sort of menu interaction (clicking deploy button/changing class or class loadout/etc)

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravelle said:

i've only gotten the looping audio freeze/crash maybe twice, but more often it's a sudden and quick crash to desktop usually after some sort of menu interaction (clicking deploy button/changing class or class loadout/etc)

It usually is a chain reaction. The game freezes with that sound loop and I have to force close the game, then it keeps giving me failed to connect to server error when I try to get back in and when level loads I get the BF4.exe stopped working crash to desktop before I'm even in the game.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

For some reason, I think it's more stable to play the game on Windowed/Borderless mode since I've been playing the game Windowed and I don't actually get as much crashes though it still happens from time to time. I'll probably have to fault the servers on this since playing through the SP campaign I didn't experience as many crashes compared to SP.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.