Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Mar 02, 2010

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is the second installment in this spin-off Battlefield series. It has a more serious campaign and a vastly expanded multiplayer system.

After playing the 360 demo...

Avatar image for s0mewh4td4m4ged
    S0mewh4tD4m4ged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By S0mewh4tD4m4ged

I have had this game pre-ordered for months now and after playing the demo I am not impressed or even as excited as I once was.  Don't get me wrong, the game can be fun at times, but it has a lot of issues.  The game looks nothing like all the videos I have seen; that being said, the ps3 beta looks much better then the 360 demo imo.  I was wondering if they decided just to release a lower quality demo so I went over to the EA forums.  People on the EA forums argue back and forth, saying that its just a demo and the final product will be better.  If that is the case then I don't understand the reason behind releasing a demo that looks extremely pixelated (BF1943 looks better), the map is horrible, and the game mode is something I probably wouldn't play if I had the full version of the game already.  EA knows they will lose people by releasing a bad demo.

I don't understand why it doesn't show any connection quality to the host, no ms ping times, or even the standard 1 red, 2 yellow, or 3-4 green bars that the 360 is known for.  I hope they release a patch for the demo or even add a new map with a different game mode.  If this demo shows the full quality of bc2 then my pre-order will be canceled in the next few weeks.  Anyone else?

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Jayross

I would agree with the graphics, I think the snow styled map does not look very good at all. They should have released one of the jungle or desert maps in my opinion. 

I have nothing against the gameplay, I wish they had all the unlocks in the demo though.

BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By BawlZINmotion

I cannot speak for the 360 (demo) or PS3 (beta) versions, but I was in the PC beta that went live on January 28th. Key word "was", I asked Steam for a refund and they were nice enough to cancel my pre-order. Props to them for doing so. I don't meet the recommended requirements, but I'm well above the minimum as outlined by DICE. The game defaults my rig to medium settings. Performance on medium is so horrendous it actually affects mouse input. So I turned all settings down and while that improved performance, it still ran like crap. My friend has a system that blows the recommended specs out of the water and at high settings he says it doesn't run all the great. At least not as one would expect it to given the situation. 

I haven't been to the EA forums myself, but I was involved in a discussion on the Steam forums this past Thursday (public beta start day) and the same kind of back and forth exchanges were present. Specifically people staying it's a beta, they'll shore it up by release. I keep trying to tell people at best it's a public beta, that no one should expect major changes (aside bugs and lag) in 35 days. For the PC version, it wouldn't at all surprise me to see a delay in the next couple weeks. This game is definitely not ready and shame on DICE for running a public beta this close to release. 

Other than a lack of vehicles for a map of that size, my only complaints are technical. I love the way Battlefield plays, always have. However the technical issues are severe enough that I'd recommend no one make the mistake of buying into this mess right now. On related side note, maybe EA should fly the DICE crew out to Edmonton and have Bioware teach them a thing or two about optimization. They learned their lesson with ME1.

Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Daryl

After playing a lot of BF1943, I don't feel BC2 does a lot to the multiplayer to change it up a little. Just feels like more of the same and to be honest, I'm tired of it. Also, the map is boring.

ROFLCOPTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ROFLCOPTER

I think it's one of the best games I have ever played.

Ashwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By Ashwyn

I feel like they could of used a far better map for the demo.

That snowy one is kinda crappy in my honest opinion.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By pause422

The game runs on dedicated servers on all platforms, you aren't going to see a 'host'.

Rebirth1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Rebirth1337

I think it looks great. I'm loving it loads. Just for the hell of it you guys are on HD and using HDMI right?

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9  Edited By Jayross

They should have used the Panama Canal or Atacama Desert map, in my opinion.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By EpicSteve

I'm actually sold on the game, but I'm an avid Battlefield guy.

fallen_elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By fallen_elite

My guess is that they will add in the ping bars on the final game. The PC version is also lacking them, and I don't remember the PS3 beta ever having them either.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#12  Edited By natetodamax

I thought it was a good demo.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#13  Edited By wefwefasdf

I have been playing the demo almost exclusively since it came out and have really enjoyed it.

Warfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Warfare

It feels slow.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Somewhat Damaged is a good song ;)

immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By immike

hmm, this is all very odd. I am having a great time with the demo and think the graphics are fine. I play on a 32 inch 720p widescreen HDTV and everything looks crisp. Maybe my eyes are not straining to see every bit of detail, but graphics are not really important in my book. I thought the map was fine other than the first location. It's too easy to spawn camp the attacking team.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RobotHamster

I think the game is great and I'll be picking it up eventually.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

You are mentally retarded.  My diagnosis is Down syndrome with a side of Gender identity disorder.  

But seriously, the game comes out in a month.  They can still fix things.

I think the demo is great, and the map is fun.  I just need 5 million xp and I rank up. 

Avatar image for collegefootballguy
    CollegeFootballGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Couldnt disagree more. The demo alone made me go out and pre order it and give MW2 to a friend
    SoftButtCheeks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SoftButtCheeks

Bad choice for the map imo

The game will be a solid purchase.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Pibo47

I think the graphics were kinda weird. But arty feeling. Loved the gameplay.

owenneil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By owenneil

Im not a fan of the map, but I think it improved on the first Bad Company. The fact that defibs are back. and awesome. I can't wait for the full game.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23  Edited By Seppli

Dude - I'm playing the Demo, despite playing Mass Effect 2 too (...and that's my seal of approval right there). I begin and end my daily gaming session with the BF:BC 2 demo. BF:BC 2 is like a good black coffee. Gets the juices flowing. And the demo is so much watered down with the lack of specializations and gadgets.

Hey - I'm one of the guys argueing that the Xbox demo is a step down from the PS3 beta. Despite being improved graphically and aurally. Despite being superior in terms of unitbalance. Despite being more stable and less glitchy. I argue that the PS3 beta felt better because it seemed to have proper realtime physics simulation all the way, whereas the physics on the 360 seems to be toned down. Sometimes even downright replaced by canned effects - like the new canned deathanimations on gunshot kills instead of proper realtime ragdoll physics. The big deadzone on the analog sticks doesn't help that feeling either...

Anyways - despite this, BF:BC 2 is still superior to any FPS out there - which some people seem to overlook. Also - I first got see the PS3 demo. The physics may be intact on PS3 (the PS3 CPU has a lot more cores to handles such medial tasks as ragdoll physics). The whole PC beta thing - what do you expect? It's a goddamn beta! It's the first time the Frostbite engine gets to play out in the wilderness that is the PC scene. Just give it a little time.

Some people...

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24  Edited By meteora

Hi.

I just played the demo.

And I had fun all the time. Zero frustration. This never happened to me ever in a game ever since Perfect Dark.

Am I weird?

MjHealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 15

#25  Edited By MjHealy

I must say the map on the 360 demo is a bit meh. I still have high hopes for this game though, the PS3 Beta was great and so is the 360 just the map and mode are a bit average. I haven't notice much of a graphical difference but that was probably because I played the PS3 version in SD and the 360 one is HD.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By meteora

What's wrong with the map anyways? I don't seem to have a problem with it, other than the weird placement of an apache at tier 3 and black hawk at tier 4.

S0mewh4tD4m4ged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By S0mewh4tD4m4ged

I am playing on a 22" monitor with a HDMI to DVI cable and I use my pc for sound input.  I didn't play the ps3 beta but only seen gameplay on youtube.  Everything about the ps3 beta look so much better then the 360.  I still have this game preordered and have been playing the demo on the 360 more often.  It is a fun game even though its an eye sore imo.  Hoping for a demo patch with a new map and gameplay mode.  My decision will be made on review and if I get a chance to play so other form of demo.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#28  Edited By wefwefasdf
    @S0mewh4tD4m4ged:  A demo patch? Has that ever happened before...?
    MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
    @SpikeSpiegel said:
    " @S0mewh4tD4m4ged:  A demo patch? Has that ever happened before...? "
    Supposedly there was or was supposed to be a patch on the 29th (it said so in the menu)  

There will never be another map though. 
    S0mewh4tD4m4ged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By S0mewh4tD4m4ged
    @MAN_FLANNEL said:
    " @SpikeSpiegel said:
    Supposedly there was or was supposed to be a patch on the 29th (it said so in the menu)    There will never be another map though.  "
    I am guessing that was an update to there servers.  I noticed that message.  I doubt there will be a patch or update but just hoping.  Maybe a single player demo after the game releases but that isnt going to help my preorder problem.  Going to try to continue playing and maybe get used to the crap graphics.
    ht101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ht101

I played the demo a little bit yesterday and was very pleased with it.  The only problem is there is only one map so you can't play it much without getting bored.  For the time I played though, I really enjoyed it and think it is much better than MW2 in terms of balancing units and weapons.  The map was impressive for me because of how they had the snow blowing around that obscured your vision.  I started sniping while on defense and it was pretty awesome how the snow obscured my vision while trying to snipe.  DICE did a great job with BC1 and I don't see any reason why this game won't be any different.  ME2 and other games will keep me busy until this game comes out so I am very pleased with the demo, besides the lack of maps.  The game mode is classic BF so if you don't like it then you won't like the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
    deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CollegeFootballGuy said:
    " Couldnt disagree more. The demo alone made me go out and pre order it and give MW2 to a friend "
    haha me too
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33  Edited By Seppli
    @S0mewh4tD4m4ged said:
    " @MAN_FLANNEL said:
    " @SpikeSpiegel said:
    Supposedly there was or was supposed to be a patch on the 29th (it said so in the menu)    There will never be another map though.  "
    I am guessing that was an update to there servers.  I noticed that message.  I doubt there will be a patch or update but just hoping.  Maybe a single player demo after the game releases but that isnt going to help my preorder problem.  Going to try to continue playing and maybe get used to the crap graphics. "
    Crap graphics? You need your eyes checked...
    kjp93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By kjp93
    Ya, I really don't understand how you can consider the graphics crap.  Maybe they aren't groundbreaking but they look perfectly fine and are on par with most other recent games.
    Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#35  Edited By Captain_Insano

I feel counter to what a lot of people seem to. The demo really bored me, just didn't feel right. I don't think the Battlefield games are the thing for me anymore, which is sad cause back in the day I loved Battlefield 1942 and Battlefield: Vietnam

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#36  Edited By JJWeatherman

I couldn't disagree more. I just turned the demo on a while ago, planning to play about 10-20 minutes... I freakin played for 5 strait hours. It took maybe 10 minutes to get really into it, but after that, dude. I think I love this game. And this is coming from a person that didn't buy MW2. (I thought I was over shooters)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.