Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Mar 02, 2010

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is the second installment in this spin-off Battlefield series. It has a more serious campaign and a vastly expanded multiplayer system.

Suddenly kinda interested in this game.

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Rayfield

Like many of the human race, I'm currently levelling up in Modern Warfare 2. Even though I am only at level 36, I can see an end in sight. I can see myself getting tired of a few aspects of this game and probably looking for a similiar experience but all new and improved next year. 

I have never played a Battlefield game. I remember a few friends going batshit for 1942 when it came out and the idea of vehicles appeals to me. From what I've seen of BBC2, it looks like it could be pretty awesome. Could some Battlefield veterans describe the finer points to sell me on this one? I'm interested in the 360 version if that makes a difference. 

I've got the first point to start things off. 

1. No akimbo shotgun using bastards (as far as I know)

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
    @Rayfield: There is far less run & gun in Battlefield. It also takes a brain to play it well, theres no mindless guns a blazin' tactic that will work well. It's far more open ended and strategical than MW. It would be easier if you asked some specific questions as well, then I would be able to give you a more detailed response. 
    Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Rayfield
    @SathingtonWaltz said:
    " @Rayfield: There is far less run & gun in Battlefield. It also takes a brain to play it well, theres no mindless guns a blazin' tactic that will work well. It's far more open ended and strategical than MW. It would be easier if you asked some specific questions as well, then I would be able to give you a more detailed response.  "

Hmm, okay.  

Gimme a minute.
    Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Rayfield
    @SathingtonWaltz: 

1. How are the vehicles balanced? Does the game allow you to jump in a tank and wipe out a team, or are the vehicles just part of mix, rather than an automatic win? 

2. When you say tactics, do you mean there's actual strategy involved? Such as flanking the other team etc? Is this integral to the game or just something you can choose to do if you can be bothered? 

3. Because of tactics, do matches last longer and simply become sniper battles?  

SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

This video should give you an idea of how most games play out. Remember that this is the Beta.

CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By CowMuffins

The game is not fun, the tanks are way OP and you have to run eight miles across the map because nobody lets you in their vehicle/ your vehicle gets blown up by the OP tanks.

morningdrive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By morningdrive

I am in the beta right now and I am loving it. Its not just Team deathmatch there are goals to be completed and it adds to the game alot. THe maps are massive and the combat feels really solid.  If you are on Defense then you must guard certain objects and obviously if your on offense your job is to take out those objects.  

it's really fun and if only the voice chat thing was working and people actually talked it would be even more awesome. I love the whole "everything blows up" part of it too. Just try out the Beta when it comes out on 360. Im sure there will be a demo too that you can try out.

SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
    @Rayfield said:
    " @SathingtonWaltz:  1. How are the vehicles balanced? Does the game allow you to jump in a tank and wipe out a team, or are the vehicles just part of mix, rather than an automatic win?  2. When you say tactics, do you mean there's actual strategy involved? Such as flanking the other team etc? Is this integral to the game or just something you can choose to do if you can be bothered?  3. Because of tactics, do matches last longer and simply become sniper battles?    "
    Vehicles are fairly well balanced. A tank poses a significant threat to your team, but depending on how good your team is, a few engineers can help fight them off. Humvees and Quads are typically used to quickly flank, surround, or infiltrate your enemy. When I say tactics, I mean TACTICS. Common strategies like flanking are effective when used properly, and the overall performance and strategy as a team will dictate whether or not you win or lose. Matches generally never become sniper battles. An overabundance of snipers on any team can spell defeat, due to the fact that front line fighters are extremely important to both offense and defense. Matches typically last around 20 minutes or so. I'm not quite sure, I will time my next match to be sure. Basically the game prioritizes performance of the team as a whole over the performance of the individuals. Your team can have the best player of the match and still lose. 
    Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Rayfield
    @SathingtonWaltz said:
    " @Rayfield said:
    " @SathingtonWaltz:  1. How are the vehicles balanced? Does the game allow you to jump in a tank and wipe out a team, or are the vehicles just part of mix, rather than an automatic win?  2. When you say tactics, do you mean there's actual strategy involved? Such as flanking the other team etc? Is this integral to the game or just something you can choose to do if you can be bothered?  3. Because of tactics, do matches last longer and simply become sniper battles?    "
    Vehicles are fairly well balanced. A tank poses a significant threat to your team, but depending on how good your team is, a few engineers can help fight them off. Humvees and Quads are typically used to quickly flank, surround, or infiltrate your enemy. When I say tactics, I mean TACTICS. Common strategies like flanking are effective when used properly, and the overall performance and strategy as a team will dictate whether or not you win or lose. Matches generally never become sniper battles. An overabundance of snipers on any team can spell defeat, due to the fact that front line fighters are extremely important to both offense and defense. Matches typically last around 20 minutes or so. I'm not quite sure, I will time my next match to be sure. Basically the game prioritizes performance of the team as a whole over the performance of the individuals. Your team can have the best player of the match and still lose.  "

I see. Interesting. I'll definitely check out a demo if they put one out for 360. Thanks for that.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Diamond

From the original BFBC and the BFBC2 beta on PS3 it's not for me.  What seems crazy to me is people saying that since they're playing MW2 they won't be checking out BFBC2.  Or people who are fans of MW2 so they won't play any other games.  That seems crazy to me.  Is there some rule that people are only allowed to own one game with a competitive MP mode over a yearly span?

By all means you should check out any and every game that interests you!

SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
    @Diamond: I agree, I personally believe that those who play MW don't know what there missing. I played MW multi player and thought it was utter shit compared to BC. It's not even close to what "Modern Warfare" is! I'm biased though, I'm a bit of a realism whore. =D
    aerious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By aerious

overall i had more fun with the original BFBC than MW and MW2, theres just a bit more diversity and there are enough options that the game can't be as dominated by one or two godly people. You can be put on a losing team for sure, but I've still had fun with it when losing, it becomes a bit of a different game, and if something isnt working you just change up the tactics and see how it goes.

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Rayfield
    @Diamond: 

Yeah, for sure. I'm all for playing as many great games as possible, regardless of genre. Who wouldn't be? Why deny yourself awesome games?
    FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By FrankCanada97

You might find the jump from MW2 to BFBC2 a little daunting. The two games use a completely different style of play. If you want, you can read up my thoughts on the beta. (Sorry for the shameless plug)

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @CowMuffins said:
    " The game is not fun, the tanks are way OP and you have to run eight miles across the map because nobody lets you in their vehicle/ your vehicle gets blown up by the OP tanks. "
    overpowered tanks?! are you fucking serious? if they weren't realistically powerful everyone would be like, yo, these fuckin tanks are bullshit
    CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CowMuffins
    @TwoOneFive: Ok, and throwing out medkits to heal people, using drills anywhere on a vehicle to repair it, and reviving anybody with paddles is the height of realism.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By Seppli
    Teamplay is the gameplay focus of BF:BC 2 online multiplayer.

There are 4 kits (classes). 
    • Engineer (suppressed SMGs - Effective from CQC to Mid-range, Anti-Vehicle Combat, Rocketlauncher or AT-Mines, Repair Tool for Repairing Friendly Vehicles, Rocket-Sniping for Longrange-Combat - Good Alround Kit)
    • Assault (Assault Rifles - Effective from CQC to Long-range, Resupplies Ammo, 40mm Grenade Launcher Attachment for either Highexplosive Grenades, Smoke Grenades or Shotgun Grenades - Strongest Anti Infantry Kit)
    • Recon (Sniper Rifles - Effective from mid to extreme Long-range, C4 or Mortar Strike, Motion Sensor Balls - Long Range Support Kit and Effective for Ninja-style Infiltration/Sabotage)
    • Medic (LMGs - Effective from CQC to Long-Range, Defibrilator to Revive Teammates, Medpacks for Improved Regeneration - Infantry Support Kit for Assault and Defense)

There are Land - Sea - Air Vehicles. 
    • ATV, Jeeps - Getting from A to B
    • APC - Getting from A to B, Suppressing Fire
    • Heavy Tank - Suppressing Fire, Mobile Artillery, Spearhead for Attackers, Linchpin for Defenders
    • UAV - Tank Killer and Reconaissance
    • Attack Chopper - Death from Above
    • Transportation Chopper - Getting from A to B (Parachuting in!), Suppressing Fire
    • AA-Vehicle - Anti-Aircraft
    • Boats and Jetski (get from A to B over water)

Infantry goes after objectives. Infantry is the most important aspect of the gameplay for victory. Keeping your vehicles in play is key for your team's success, since they are meant to shift the balance between the teams. It's important to spawn mindfully. Chose your kit and loadout to match the situtation on the Battlefield. You have to think as far ahead as your weapons can shoot. Maps are huge. You need a far horizon to be a good Battlefield player.

As a seasoned Battlefield veteran, I play angles, which aren't apparent to many new players. If I need to, I can take out objectives from extreme range from the first apparent feasible angle. Example, my entire team can clash against the well-defended maptier 1 base and virtually lose the round (attacking team uses up 100 respawn tickets in one maptier to lose a round). I can take a tank, roll up a couple of yards, activate my vehicle main weapons zoom, and hit crate bravo with my first shot and every following shot. Unless the defenders move up on my position quickly, they will lose their first base. To me alone.

It's like chess. A seasoned chessplayer can play angles new players don't even see as possibility. My proficiency at longrange cratebashing has brought my team to the next maptier many times, even though they didn't deserve to get there. I often get frustrated, when I'm spearheading an assault on the objectives but my teammates don't have my back. Well, what does a veteran battlefield player do in such a situation? He switches form assault to suppression. If I get to a good vantage point I can suppress a big sector on my own, opening up the field for my teammates to successfully assault the objective. A good Battlefield player always sees how his team sucks and jumps in to fill the void. Often this shifts your entire teams dynamic and your team starts to gain momentum.  At least that's what you got to hope for.

The richness of Battlefield games (so many viable approaches to any given task depending on kit loadout and vehicles) makes ADAPTABILITY the most important skill for this game. Know how to play every kit and vehicle well. Know every angle to any given situation. Play the angle the most needed for success. Hope that your team does fill in the rest. So many things to learn. So much gameplay to master. Virtually endless replayability. The sky is the limit.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mordukai

Tired the beat and all I got from it is a feeling of, Meh. I just couldn't get into it for some matter. 

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Seppli

My favorite gameplay montage coming out from the Beta. Recon gameplay. Awesome sound. The Streets - Same Old Thing. OY!

Enjoy! And join the fun in March!
    Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Spoonman671

The first Bad Company is only $20 now and 1943 is available for download through PSN or XBLA for $15.  Either should give you a good idea of what a Battlefield game is like. The production values evident in the current BC2 beta are much greater than what you see in either of the two titles above.  I'm pretty sure they were just testing the waters in the console market with those before diving in with BC2.  There are definitely some balance issues in the beta (tanks are much too dominant and can destroy objectives from across the map), but these should be taken care of before the game gets released in March.

There will be a multiplayer demo available to all platforms sometime early next year, so I suggest you download that and give it a try.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Seppli
    @Spoonman671 said:
    " The first Bad Company is only $20 now and 1943 is available for download through PSN or XBLA for $15.  Either should give you a good idea of what a Battlefield game is like. The production values evident in the current BC2 beta are much greater than what you see in either of the two titles above.  I'm pretty sure they were just testing the waters in the console market with those before diving in with BC2.  There are definitely some balance issues in the beta (tanks are much too dominant and can destroy objectives from across the map), but these should be taken care of before the game gets released in March. There will be a multiplayer demo available to all platforms sometime early next year, so I suggest you download that and give it a try. "
    Longrange cratebashing in in for a reason. It's part of the maptier balance, if a crate is bashable from afar it's meant to be that way. Defenders have to to adapt to such a circumstance.

Also, Rush mode isn't balanced to be easily won by the defenders in maptier 1. Generally all maptiers are balanced in favor of the attackers, since they have to win all 5 maptiers to win a round. Defenders only have to win 1 maptier to win the round. Defending is harder, but it becomes easier with experience. Attacking only gets harder.
    Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Rayfield

Wow. Thanks for all the information guys. I'll definitely be checking this one out come March.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.