Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield

Franchise »

The Battlefield series is created by Digital Illusions CE and published by Electronic Arts. The games focus on large maps and vehicle combat with a strong focus on class-based teamwork. The Battlefield series spans multiple platforms and has a strong PC based following.

Pre-Ordering Medal of Honor: Warfighter Gets You Access to Battlefield 4 Beta, Which Suddenly Exists

• 115 results
    WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By WarlordPayne

I really wish they'd let BF3 live for a while before they decided to make the sequel.

Korosuzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By Korosuzo

@Phatmac said:

Remember when people thought BF3 was going to be the best thing ever and finally take down COD? Neither do I!

Not counting sales but in many peoples opinion it is a much better military FPS than COD already. Granted so was Bad Company 2 so it didn't need to do much more but it did improve in many ways... Plays better, looks better with squad based tactics coming into play in most game modes.

TiE23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#53  Edited By TiE23

Uhhgg. You mean they're making another videogame that I'll probably love after I've grown tired of the last?

Oh, and EA wants to make money? Of course they do. I'm all over Battlefield, but I don't give a shit about Medal of Honor, so this just makes marketing sense to make a person like me buy another game that I'd probably just go "meh" over.

So Medal of Honor/Battlefield cycle for now, eh?

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By Arker101

Eh, BF3 really flopped for me. The single-player and co-op were atrocious, and the multi-player just never clicked for me. I played it a lot, but that was mostly because friends were also playing it. Not to mention the tons of gripes people had, DLC, Servers, PC features, Premium.

The "preorder to get beta" thing is also hysterical, with that line about how both games are for different audiences. EA's PR always making me laugh.

McBEEF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By McBEEF

Dont really get why everybody is being so cynical and snarky-oh wait, everything EA does is greedy and underhand- and modern shooters, no matter how good they look or how fun they are to play, are just sooo overdone now etc etc.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#56  Edited By Humanity

@Korosuzo said:

@Phatmac said:

Remember when people thought BF3 was going to be the best thing ever and finally take down COD? Neither do I!

Not counting sales but in many peoples opinion it is a much better military FPS than COD already. Granted so was Bad Company 2 so it didn't need to do much more but it did improve in many ways... Plays better, looks better with squad based tactics coming into play in most game modes.

I still think, on a console anyway, Bad Company 2 is a much better experience than BF3 - mainly because they knew the scope of the maps in Bad Company 2 were for consoles but in BF3 the smaller console variants of the maps don't work as well and just seem boring to me.

Draxyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57  Edited By Draxyle

Probably the lamest way to announce a game.

I'm more angry that they're doing this idiotic "digital deluxe" version on all their games now, where you have to pay 70 dollars to get the actually complete game. It's like they're determined to be hated now.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By SlightConfuse

I was hopping for 2143

nERVEcenter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#59  Edited By nERVEcenter

I like Battlefield 3, but I don't love it. It's missing the magic that had me glued to BF2 and 2142 for hours at a time.

The CoDified infantry combat definitely doesn't help. As awful as infantry combat was in those two games, it's incredible how fast infantry kills happen at long range in BF3, completely changing the dynamics of the fight. Weapons get incredibly accurate with accessories, and optimizing weapons for full-auto dumps at 50+ meters is the norm, not the exception. The game feels like a completely different beast to that core Battlefield combat that could have worked well if simply polished to a shine.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By scarace360

@TooWalrus said:

"The most authentic shooter this holiday?" What, so Kid Rock's in it?

Seriously man you need to stop spoiling everything from the marketing meeting!

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#61  Edited By bonbolapti

Gimmie Bad company 3 first.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Nekroskop

"Only $69.99" Oh, EA.

CJduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#63  Edited By CJduke

Honestly who cares they did it this way, why does it matter? Would it really have made everyone feel better if they showed a trailer that flashes "BATTLEFIELD 4" with no gameplay? People just have to complain about everything.

Tommy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Tommy

Completely agree with Alex. Very surprising and poorly timed “announcement”. I mean here we are waiting for several pieces of DLC yet to come, convinced that we invested in a game that will keep us entertained for years to come and EA has announced something better is in already the works. I get that a Battlefield 4 was inevitable but why announce it now? It doesn’t need any hype now, is all of this just to promote a game that has zero buzz (MoH:W)? And exclusive beta access? I thought we’ve been over this? Man…

jonnybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#65  Edited By jonnybob

That's a thing?

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Funkydupe

9 months and they've announced Battlefield 4. Okay.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#67  Edited By beargirl1

@McBEEF said:

Dont really get why everybody is being so cynical and snarky-oh wait, everything EA does is greedy and underhand- and modern shooters, no matter how good they look or how fun they are to play, are just sooo overdone now etc etc.

worst company in america dawg

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Devil240Z

I don't get the big deal about this. Like, no shit there is going to be a fourth one. The fact that people are still playing BF3 is amazing. I might still be playing it when BF4 comes out. Thats amazing yo!

But I would really love a BF3 spinoff before 4 comes out. like 2142 or Vietnam or something.

AngriGhandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By AngriGhandi

If Battlefield 4 is a next-gen game, this is okay. Not great... but okay.

I mean, remember back when every Battlefield game was built around different settings and ideas? And the numbered sequels were reserved for some kind of fundamental leap that was years in the making?

Well, I guess they're not really doing that anymore.

wisdumcube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By wisdumcube

I think Alex is being over-dramatic. Do I think EA is over-saturating the market? Yes, but so is Activision. This is an industry large issue, so the focus of the article shouldn't be on EA alone. As for the outrage over outing Battlefield 4 so early? It's overblown.

Of course there was going to be another Battlefield game next year, and of course EA wouldn't give it a proper announcement, because doing so would cannibalize all the attention that is currently fixed on Medal of Honor Warfighter. The only reason why we officially know about it is because the information about the preorder bonus was accidentally released on origin. This wasn't something EA was originally planning to do so close to Warfighter's announcement. Also, there have been plenty of news stories about EA commenting on releasing Battlefield on 2 year intervals. It is blatant though, I'll give you that, and announcing this later doesn't completely remove the fact that they are rubbing our noses in video game exploitation, but I'm so jaded over modern video games it doesn't even phase me anyore. The real noteworthy thing about this story is that Bad company is probably never going to be revisited.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Tennmuerti

There really is a really fucking simple reason why BF4 is coming out so soon compared to the wait from 2-3. EA/DICE are aiming for the next gen console launch straight up, trying to put a strong foot foward right at the start, the reason why they are not going for a spinnoff but rather for the full fledged new BF that is.

The only question is if they will be able to make the dent they want with the reduced timeframe, which will also mean the leap from 3-4 will be less significant.

(personally i would have preferred BF:BC3 first)

Ninja_Welshman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Ninja_Welshman

Awww maaan.... No 2143 or Bad Company 3?This sucks!!

ericdrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By ericdrum

@Tennmuerti: Or that DICE already release a new BF every 2 years and sometimes less. New console is just fortuitous timing.

I really hope 2143 is a thing some day.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Tennmuerti

@ericdrum said:

@Tennmuerti: Or that DICE already release a new BF every 2 years and sometimes less. New console is just fortuitous timing.

I really hope 2143 is a thing some day.

A new BF yes but a lot of those are in between games, i am talking about the full sequel here 1-2-3-4.

ericdrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By ericdrum

@Tennmuerti: To me, the full versions and sequels are 1942, BFV, BF2, 2142, BC1, BC2 and BF3. Despite set pieces, these are the incremental full versions of the game and winter 2013 would be the next version.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#76  Edited By TheHT

Seems weird they would give you beta access to a next gen game. Unless it's just a matter of get what info you can from the beta and plug it into the next gen build.

Unless of course it's PC only, in which case it ain't a thang.

rox360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By rox360

There's been three years and at least one stand-alone game between each of the other main entries in this franchise. So to announce- wait... Beta at the end of next year? So possible launch just before 2014? That's just shy of three years... hrm... I still think it sounds soon, but I guess I have no actual reason to complain... Still a little odd to be the first instance where no other stand-alone game has been between two numbered installments. And I still want a 2143.

But the statement that MoH and BF supposedly have different target audiences tickles me. That's virtually an open admittance that they're including the BF beta in MoH just to rope in a bunch of people that otherwise wouldn't have bought it. A little bit shameless there, EA?

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Tennmuerti

@ericdrum said:

@Tennmuerti: To me, the full versions and sequels are 1942, BFV, BF2, 2142, BC1, BC2 and BF3. Despite set pieces, these are the incremental full versions of the game and winter 2013 would be the next version.

Doesn't really matter what full versions are to you or me. A BF with a simple number after it with no extra words means far far more to people in general, it's seen as the next big step. It's the difference between saying the next game in the BF franchise and The next BF for most. It's why people are surprised in the first place and why this news is actually newsworthy in the first place, if this was BF 2143 of BF:BC3 to which the demo was announced much less people would have reacted and to a much lesser degree.

BF4 will produce a much bigger effect by coming out straight away on new console launch, because it means more in the minds of people, then if they would have done a different BF. It's deliberate. Which is the point of my original post.

Evercaptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Evercaptor

Did EA confirm Battlefield 4 is being released yet?

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By white

And for some reason I managed to see this coming a light year away. Weird.

Hey, guess what pre-ordering BF4 will get you? EXCLUSIVE ACCESS TO MEDAL OF HONOR 3 MULTIPLAYER BETA COMING OUT IN FALL A YEAR AFTER THE RELEASE OF BF4. PRE-ORDER THAT AND YOU GET EXCLUSIVE EXCLUSIVE ACCESS TO THE MULTIPLAYER BETA OF BF5!! ONLY ON XBOX! YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST GAIS!

Good thing I didn't buy Premium (and not just because it's a stupid thing to begin with).

bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By bwmcmaste

I do kind of feel like someone just took a big dump in my Corn Flakes. Unless, it turns out that BF4 is actually being developed for next-gen consoles - which I would find acceptable.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By ch3burashka

What I find most weird is they're comfortable making another numbered sequel in the main Battlefield series so soon after 3. Between 1, 2 and 3 they've made sure to establish what is a Battlefield game, what is a Bad Company game, etc. This doesn't boost confidence for me.

KingPluto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By KingPluto

@JesterPC238: I can't agree with you more. I was really hesitant to get premium but figured I'd get my moneys worth because I really do enjoy the game but after seeing this it seems like the BF franchise is the only thing making EA money. The only good thing that could possibly happen out of this is if BF4 is F2P, which I highly doubt.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#84  Edited By viking_funeral

I honestly can't tell if more Battlefield will be good or bad at this point. Guess it's a waiting game, now.

Rohok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#85  Edited By Rohok

Ahahaha... Wow.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By MrKlorox

Weird. I was kinda hoping for another Bad Company before they went with another "full" Battlefield game. After the half-decade between BF2 and BF3, two years seems a little short. Hopefully they allow the use of BF3 maps in the new game.

ModestMike87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By ModestMike87

It makes perfect sense to give out beta access of a modern military fps to people pre-ordering another modern military fps. Nothing gross about that. Why you gotta be so snide, Alex?

abdulhb3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By abdulhb3

This has to be one of the worst product announcements ever.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#89  Edited By Alexander

@ModestMike87 said:

It makes perfect sense to give out beta access of a modern military fps to people pre-ordering another modern military fps. Nothing gross about that. Why you gotta be so snide, Alex?

Well the issue is really, like CH3BURASHKA said, that we are already seeing a mention, albeit unintended, of a numbered Battlefield game / full sequel. Too soon! Of course Alex did miss that point entirely.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#90  Edited By Sooty

Why do they need a big announcement when the game is over one year off minimum? Who cares.

@AngriGhandi said:

If Battlefield 4 is a next-gen game, this is okay. Not great... but okay.

Well Battlefield 3 is already a next-gen game on PC compared to the console version. I can see BF4 pushing things further if it plans to be PC first, next-gen consoles later. Though I can easily see them putting it on 360/PS3 to compete with the next shitty Call of Duty next holiday season.

BrainSonata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By BrainSonata

I'm so fucking pissed that Battlefield 4 is already being talked about, the idea of yearly Battlefield games makes me sad. Way to destroy all that Battlefield was, EA!

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By mandude

This article is funny. But probably only because I don't care for Battlefield.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Gabriel

@Scrawnto said:

@ericdrum said:

@Gabriel: Go look at the release schedule of the Battlefield franchise from DICE. They release a BF game pretty much every 2 years. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlefield_(series)

This should come as a surprise to no one.

Indeed. It's actually a longer dev-cycle than Battlefield 2142 had.

My point is they are sure in a hurry to slap the number 4 on the next title.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Dan_CiTi

Ugh, BF4 should be like a 2017 game. Let BF3 live and breathe.

Avatar image for eastboundspider
    EastboundSpider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By EastboundSpider

Yeah, this is kinda weird. Not like, "you touched my ass" kind of weird but more like " we don't know how to make games anymore" kinda weird.

G0rd0nFr33m4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 18

#96  Edited By G0rd0nFr33m4n

AHAHAHAHAA HAAAA :)

As a person who avoided BF3 for it's obvious use of animations and game modes directly from Battlefield Bad Company 2 I laugh at this!

I have my beta key for Planet Side 2 ready and waiting, so I'll play that instead.

But good one EA, better than a metal bucket full of water tittering on top of a door, very good.

McDunkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By McDunkin

This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. What would be great is if it ends up being Bad Company 3 instead of a small iteration of BF3.

beard_of_zeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#98  Edited By beard_of_zeus

BF3 just came out fairly recently, why mention its successor already? Give people time to play the thing they paid for before you go and make it obsolete and make them pay you again.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By korwin
    No Caption Provided
    EchoEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By EchoEcho

I was kind of hoping DICE would do a full-on Battlefield Vietnam 2, since I enjoyed the Vietnam expansion for BC2 more than the standard multiplayer. It will probably never happen, though. Not that I'm surprised or anything.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.