Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Beat Hazard

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 15, 2011

Beat Hazard is a twin-stick shooter by a one-man development team. The beat of the music controls your shots, while the song itself supplies the layout of the level.

Too intense for Beat Hazard?

Imbalance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Imbalance

I just downloaded this game off Steam, and first impressions are looking good. The rest of my music collection is working well, except for one song. The Shatter boss music! Every time I try to play it, it crashes the game - during the song preview as well. I guess that means it can't be the metadata. If you've ever heard the song before, you'll know the bass is very intense at the start. Maybe the game can't handle it? It's only a few days after release, and it makes sense that the game would be a bit buggy. 

Is anyone else who owns this game having similar problems playing their collection? 

EDIT: There was an update released for the game today (4/19) that fixed this problem and added .ogg support as well.

Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Darkstar614

I still don't know if I want to get it. Audiosurf basically promised all the stuff that this game is, and Audiosurf was kind of a bummer. I really wish there was a demo for it.

Imbalance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Imbalance
    @Darkstar614: Audiosurf is a bit of a different game, In my opinion. Sure, they both use music, but in different ways. If you like dual-joystick shooters, Beat Hazard's not bad. It's not the best, though, and I agree that there should be a demo. Hopefully there will be one released sooner rather than later.
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By FunExplosions
    @Darkstar614:
    I doubt there will ever be a demo released. There's only really one game mode. You pick a song, a difficulty and play. It would be hard to make a profitable demo. If they just confined you to the packaged songs then everyone would probably get bored.

I mainly dislike the slow loading of my music list. Every time a song ends, I have to wait forever for the songs to load from top to bottom. I hope they can find a way to expedite this. Another gripe I have is with the slow bullet speed. It's really difficult to get a feel for the shooting. You really have to lead your targets to get a shot in. Once you get a few powerups this isn't a problem, but it is still annoying at first.

Other than those two things, I'd say the game is worth its asking price. You get to jump into any song you want and blast away to it. The game has a persistent ranking system that unlocks helpful powerups, as well as permanent life and score multipliers. And whenever you're in a menu, there's a little news reel at the bottom of the screen that constantly lets you know how you're ranking against everyone else out there, and lists any achievements you recently unlocked. Its pretty neat. Once you start killing bosses and grabbing powerups, the game really takes off.

I definitely think the game could have done a lot more than it has. When you stand back and look at it, it's essentially a one-trick-pony with fancy lights and lots of versatility. If you're like me, then you'll like that it starts up really quick, and that it's a great past-time for a quick lunch break... or something.

@Imbalance:
    And nope, no bugs from me.
    Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Darkstar614

Yeah I just bought this, it's definitely way better than Audiosurf.

I do suppose though that YMMV though because some songs might be really hard to play. But an amazing game for sure.

Teaspoon83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Teaspoon83

There is a demo for Beat Hazard, limited to 10 songs. Fun but Jesus Christ, the amount of distortion when crap hits the fan and the music kicks up is crazy. Music created the levels in Audiosurf and Beat Hazard uses the music to create the colors and how intense the game is. Slightly more action oriented, I find Beat Hazard fun. Now, I don't feel the need to buy it though. I'd rather wait for Steam to put it on sale only because I feel the price for what Beat Hazard is a bit high. 

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By MikkaQ
    @Teaspoon83:  Yeah it's a bit expensive, seeing as it was friggin pennies on the indie store on the Xbox.  

But it's so addictive. It works a bit better on the xbox, or at least with a controller. Problem with the xbox is you're gonna have to burn a shitload of CDs, cause the songs have to be on the harddrive.
    Avatar image for organicalistic_
    Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Organicalistic_
    @Imbalance:@Darkstar614:@Teaspoon83:@XII_Sniper: 
    Know of any games like it for ps3?
    TheSpartanJedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheSpartanJedi
    @Imbalance said:
    " I just downloaded this game off Steam, and first impressions are looking good. The rest of my music collection is working well, except for one song. The Shatter boss music! Every time I try to play it, it crashes the game - during the song preview as well. I guess that means it can't be the metadata. If you've ever heard the song before, you'll know the bass is very intense at the start. Maybe the game can't handle it? It's only a few days after release, and it makes sense that the game would be a bit buggy.  Is anyone else who owns this game having similar problems playing their collection?  EDIT: There was an update released for the game today (4/19) that fixed this problem and added .ogg support as well. "
    I was just playing the demo a few minutes ago, and decided to play Reign of Terror by Sabaton. It was doing just fine, until it got to the solo, then it crashed. Seems the uber-fast stuff doesn't sit too well with this game. Odd, since I'd just played Slayer's Raining Blood before it. 
    Too bad that patch doesn't apply to the demo.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Imbalance:  Did u try any rock/metal music with the game? If its disco/electronic oriented then im not interested.
    Imbalance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Imbalance
    @Ahmad_Metallic: I did try some rock music - I tried to try music from every genre. In fact, I think rock/metal music probably plays the nicest with Beat Hazard.
    Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By Ineedaname
    @Ahmad_Metallic: If you're into RATM, that worked really well with it.
    hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By hockeymask27

While demoing I had a blast with the MMPR theme.   

So its not just about dance. 
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Ineedaname said:
    " @Ahmad_Metallic: If you're into RATM, that worked really well with it. "
    hell yeah i am. Still, fuck you i wont do what you tell me.
    Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By Ineedaname
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @Ineedaname said:
    hell yeah i am. Still, fuck you i wont do what you tell me. "
    XD, that's why it worked so well, some parts were really erratic and had loads going on, but then others, there would be a boss, but I'd have no bullets because the song was so quiet.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Ineedaname said:
    " @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @Ineedaname said:
    hell yeah i am. Still, fuck you i wont do what you tell me. "
    XD, that's why it worked so well, some parts were really erratic and had loads going on, but then others, there would be a boss, but I'd have no bullets because the song was so quiet. "
    Good thing i have a huge library of some really extreme and bass-heavy and whacky metal then :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.