Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Beyond: Two Souls

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Oct 08, 2013

An interactive supernatural thriller from the studio behind Heavy Rain and Indigo Prophecy. It tells the story of Jodie Holmes, a girl with mysterious psychokinetic abilities.

Beyond: Two Souls goes beyond PS3 to PS4

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By glots

In case anyone missed it during the Paris Games Week Press Conference, Beyond and Heavy Rain will be joining Detroit on PS4. Beyond sooner than either, in fact it'll be out next week.

Never played Beyond myself, as the demo didn't get me all that excited and most of the reviews didn't speak too highly of it. I did like Heavy Rain a lot back in the day, despite it's numerous flaws, so I might just wait 'till next year (no idea what's the actual date for it) and then grab that.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Hayt

As one of the dozen people that thought it was a great game I'm glad and hope others enjoy it but even if not it's a whole new group of people to shit on chair throwing, birthday party ruining ghost adventures

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice, never got round to playing Beyond. Here's a good reason to.

StrawHat_NPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

They have the option to play beyond in chronological order from the start with this release. I've never played it but I wonder if that would help the story?

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's neat. It has a few really great moments, but there is a lot of really weird tangents that don't work, and the player agency at the end comes across so tacked on - even though I'm sure it's not. The choices are so binary and telegraphed, they fly in the face of the sense of mystery that the rest of the game tries to deliver. It just lays out the options as a button prompt and then plays the final cutscene. But the story didn't deliver for the way I was playing the game. In some ways the last few hours of this game epitomize the things I really hate about player choice in a game. It's less about choice and consequence and more about "we didn't have any idea how to end this, so pick one you're happy with."

That said, I liked it way more than Heavy Rain which has twice as many meaningless tangents and struggles at least as much to deliver a satisfying end.

Man, Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit was weird and cool.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

i enjoyed beyond but fuck me is it a trainwreck of a game.

Substance_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Substance_D

That trailer must have been made in a hurry. The text looks pretty amateurish.

Was thinking about going back and playing Beyond. Never played it and I'm not one of those types that loves going on a rant about how much I hate David Cage and his games. I appreciate if a game tries to tell a story or do something new even if it's fairly flawed. I'd rather have 1 hour of something amazing I've never seen in a game before than playing the same old stuff. Also, Ellen Page :o

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

This was a good game. Great game? No, but a good one. I'll never understand the amount of crap that Cage gets for attempting some original stuff.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Press X to kiss.

Oh man, what a terrible game.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@sammo21 said:

This was a good game. Great game? No, but a good one. I'll never understand the amount of crap that Cage gets for attempting some original stuff.

Because his original stuff is bad. Sure, praise him for trying something different but it'd be easier to swallow his medicine if he managed to make a good narrative out of his dramas.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sammo21

@donchipotle: Omikron? love it. Heavy Rain? love it. Fahrenheit? love it. Good narrative has nothing to do with a great game. Hell, MGSv is probably going to be Giant Bomb's game of the year, so that proves narrative doesn't matter.

He also puts more effort into his stories than almost anyone else.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sammo21 said:

@donchipotle: Omikron? love it. Heavy Rain? love it. Fahrenheit? love it. Good narrative has nothing to do with a great game. Hell, MGSv is probably going to be Giant Bomb's game of the year, so that proves narrative doesn't matter.

Good narrative absolutely matters in a game where the draw is the narrative. Cage makes games that he calls interactive dramas. You don't play a Quantic Dream game for the gameplay experience. And the narratives he's presented have been united in their general middling quality and their oddly similar plot elements.

As far as MGS V goes, the fact that a vocal group of people dislike that game precisely BECAUSE the narrative is sparse and also terrible goes to show that in certain games, narrative is important. MGS was known for and had many fans of its story and characters and narratives; MGS V was a major letdown in a variety of ways - the story being one of many things.

Narrative might not be the main draw for many games but in a game that is story based like Cage deals in...you kinda maybe want to focus on having a story that's not shit.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RonGalaxy

Beyond is amazing if you can look beyond (ugh) taking it seriously. If you like goofy ass shit that isn't self aware and is trying to be serious, look no further. I wonder if the game will still be in a super wide aspect ratio (it was on ps3, probably for performance reasons).

After watching that trailer, it reminded me of how much I enjoyed my time with this game. There are certainly cringeworthy moments, and it isn't doing any favors for storytelling in games, but man does it go places. I'm a sucker for globetrotting, time jumping movies, and this does that really well. Definitely a game worth experiencing, warts and all.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NTM

I guess I'll just post what I posted on another, two year old thread yesterday, which I believe is now locked. The remaster as I read on the PlayStation page says that the remaster will have an option to play the game in chronological order. I never played the game, but may want to try it now. Anyone else have interest in it? Does the order being 'fixed' help? I am surprised it's almost already out. I also didn't play Heavy Rain, which was a game I wanted to play for a good while before and after its release, but never ended up doing so. I only played, and really quite enjoyed Indigo Prophecy, the biggest issue being the awkward, abrupt relationship between the two main protagonists in the end. I already know who the bad guy is in Heavy Rain as I got it spoiled for myself long after its release, and the voice work when watching some footage really turned me off. Same kind of goes for Beyond, but I think since I didn't play them before, but have always kind of wanted to, I should just go for it. Though, these aren't going to be retail? I don't know, but if not, it's kind of a bummer. Oh, also, the trailer says Hans Zimmer scored it, but I feel like that's for advertising, because I'm pretty sure the bulk of it was Lorne Balfe (which works with him), Hans just produced it. I have to say, for a game I have never played, and I haven't heard the score all the way through, nor can I say the theme song is something I love, the theme ever since I've heard it is one that sometimes pops into my head and stays there for a day... I did have this games ending spoiled too, which is just weird. I'm not sure the context, but basically, Ellen Page's character turns into some all powerful warrior in the end of days or something.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Would be nice to fire up the PS4 for a change. Sure!

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

I'm also one of the people that really enjoyed the game despite its flaws. There so many cool moments in Beyond that makes up for many of the less fortunate ones IMO.

It's a fantastic 3 out of 5 star game. If that even makes sense.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey, a chance to play this game to completion. The game always shat itself at the same late-game scene for me, so I never finished it.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Awesome, more people can check out incoherent plots with weird rapey scenarios.

I like dumb stories, but David Cage stories are on a different level and I find it baffling whenever they get defended. To each their own, I suppose.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#19  Edited By GERALTITUDE

I think I'll give Heavy Rain another shot on PS4 actually, but Beyond? Don't think that'll happen...

blackblade500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure I have have not played Heavy Rain or Beyond so I will most likely play them now. I think I read that Beyond will be 30$ and if you buy Beyond you will get a discount on Heavy Rain

chuck_schwarz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tempting, tempting... but I think I'll wait for Detroit.

Lysergica33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watched the Super Best Friends LP of it. Glad I never spent the money on it. Having said that, I'm kind of weirdly tempted to get this during next year's summer games drought or something.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4ea8fdbe490
    deactivated-5a4ea8fdbe490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you like David Cage games, despite their flaws and bizarre yet at times great writing, Beyond is no different than Indigo Prophecy or Heavy Rain. You will like it! It has its problems, but I think it got a rough deal from reviewers.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sammo21 said:

If MGSV wins it's because the gameplay in that game is some of the best and is a very unique approach to an open world game. You say narrative doesn't matter, however, for David Cage games that is all that there is, and even then it's not any better than most other video games. If you say narrative doesn't matter, are you playing his games for the gameplay?

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heavy rain is terrible and should be avoided at all costs, beyond was a good game though and if anybody hasn't played it on ps3 might as well get this version. It's definitely not worth buying again though, so i'll pass.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heavy rain is terrible and should be avoided at all costs, beyond was a good game though and if anybody hasn't played it on ps3 might as well get this version. It's definitely not worth buying again though, so i'll pass.

Wow, I have the complete opposite opinion. I thought Beyond was horribly mediocre, and I loved Heavy Rain.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zombie2011: I think the game play is largely fine and I enjoy most of the story in those games.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@random45 said:
    @oursin_360 said:

Wow, I have the complete opposite opinion. I thought Beyond was horribly mediocre, and I loved Heavy Rain.

I think the games live and die by the acting, and heavy rain was just painful for me to sit through. Beyond has plot issues but what scifi stuff doesn't? I enjoyed it and would probably play through it again. I also liked indigo prophecy (not sure if it holds up though), heavy rain seemed to have some cool stuff happening but i couldn't get passed the god awful acting and dialog.

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I'll totally get it again. If only to get the chance to play it chronologically, and revisiting that bonkers ending.

twi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By twi

If you havnt played it before what way would you recommend playing for a first go through. As it was released or in chronological order?

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Willem Dafoe! Best way to play it is to have a buddy as the ghost friend. That way they can fuck up your shit for you and make choices you might not want as Ellen Paige.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.