Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bladestorm: The Hundred Years' War

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Aug 29, 2007

An action-strategy game set during the Hundred-Years' War, the player controls a mercenary, growing in stature by helping to secure each victory.

Bladestorm getting a remake!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

One of Koei's early Xbox 360/PS3 titles is apparently getting a remake of some form. Bladestorm: The Hundred Years' War & Nightmare, will be an enhanced version of the original Bladestorm: The Hundred Years' War in some fashion, though there's no information on what those enhancements are or what platforms the game will be released on.

The original Bladestorm was a really interesting game, though a bit flawed in its execution. You play as a mercenary during the Hundred Years' War and have the freedom to battle for either England or France from battle to battle, and the story advances as your reputation in battle increases. It's a combination of real-time strategy and action game where you have direct control of your mercenary, who can take command of a unit of soldiers and help fight in large-scale battles. To succeed, you have to jump from unit to unit based on your need, weather that be a cavalry unit, swordsman, archers, or what have you. The game was kind of a slow grind, though, and there were a number of areas where improvements could definitely be made, so I'm looking forward to this remake. I have no idea what the "Nightmare" in the remake's subtitle could refer to, though.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

What a strange choice, I'm all for it though. The hundred years war through the eyes of the japanese.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Ah man sweet! This is one of the games I missed from last gen that I've been looking to get.

MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Weird but cool. A lot like Bladestorm itself. That game had all sorts of weird untapped potential, so I can see a polish-up work doing some good, if it tackles the right areas (and isn't just an upscale or a portable console port).

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

What in the actual fuck? Don't get me wrong, I really liked Bladestorm and everything, but it feels like such an odd, random thing to bring back. Meh, whatever, cool with me.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Bladestorm is alright, they'd be better off remaking Kessen 3 or making Kessen 4 though. Trinity is a lot better as well.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Blimey. Last year or so has taught me to discard all my expectations when it comes to videogame remakes.

I never played the original and didn't have much interest in it at the time but I'm actually interested in this cause it's such an odd choice.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#8 Mento  Moderator

I quite liked Bladestorm. I've always thought of it as a gateway to the Musou genre, though it's a little more thoughtful and RPG-focused. (Though it stops getting thoughtful when it starts introducing things like magicians and gunmen.) I just like the way you're able to pick your battles, and can find yourself running around either as part of an invincible army of lancers or on your own while near death and doing the whole "my kingdom for a horse" bit. I also like how you meet NPC mercs and how they all have their own legends growing as well. I managed to 100% that game, so I dunno if I can see myself going back to it.

Actually, I'm reading the Berserk manga right now, and a lot of the mercenary stuff that happens in the extended flashback reminded me of this game. Not quite as grisly, of course.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bladestorm is alright, they'd be better off remaking Kessen 3 or making Kessen 4 though. Trinity is a lot better as well.

How do you even begin comparing Bladestorm to Trinity?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@hailinel: The core gameplay is relatively similar even if the presentation is different, its a Koei game after all. Also I wasn't really comparing them linearly, its just a better game.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: The core gameplay is relatively similar even if the presentation is different, its a Koei game after all. Also I wasn't really comparing them linearly, its just a better game.

But how is it better?

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Awesome, I liked that game. Charlotte Tuna will make a comeback.

IamTerics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This is unreal. I randomly bought this off PSN a week ago. It was between this and Trininty and I thought Trinity looked lame. It was a complete knee-jerk buy. Here I was thinking that no one will ever think to care about this 7 year old Koei game again. And then this happens. I'll be interested to see what they change.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
    deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That is the most weird, random-ass choice that I am totally down with. I remember liking Bladestorm quite a bit.

Onion-Pete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember playing the shit out of this a super underrated game I think. Had no idea this was happening so excited now

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

There was a period of time when I was really considering getting Bladestorm, a couple years after release, but I could just never find it at a reasonable price. I'd like to play it, though what was the last game Koei made that was well-received outside of Warriors series fans?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: Better gameplay, more interesting environments, much better enemy variety and better characters?

chimpchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oooohhhh yeeaaahhhh! I was pondering, not last week, if Bladestorm was ever released on a system other than 360/PS3... mainly because I wanted a portable version. Hope they make a portable version of the new one. This game was fantastic, and now I've read a history of the hundred years war in the interim, it's doubly awesome.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

This is really bizarre. I never got into Bladestorm, though I did enjoy the bit of it that I played... I'll definitely keep my eye on this, though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.