Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Blair Witch

Franchise »

Games set within the mythology of the 1999 horror film The Blair Witch Project.

The Blair Witch Project Interview

porjos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

I'm not sure I have many reasons to visit this site anymore...

Then don't?

I'm sorry, that might have been too logical of a response for you. Allow me to rephrase into something you may understand better:

"Der Derr Derrr?"

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

@sil3n7: why are you on this site? You apparently don't know much about what goes on here...

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Oh man, I'm so loving this kind of interviews, great job Patrick. Keep up the good work!. Also, Eduardo is fucking awesome.

elpurplemonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#104  Edited By elpurplemonkey

Great interview. As the scariest movie I've ever seen, it's really nice to see insight into how Blair Witch came about. And Eduardo seems like a genuinely good dude.

gbrading

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 5

Not much to do with video games, but super cool! Great stuff. I still think the ending of The Blair Witch Project is perfect. It's fantastically creepy and terrifying.

cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm glad this article is here, and sort of baffled that anyone has any objections to it. Not only is 1/3 of it about video games, but Patrick spends tons of content time on horror games. I don't think it's much of a stretch to take an opportunity to talk to a creator of the defining horror film of the last 20 years when given the opportunity. Especially in mid-October.

And don't be surprised if the guys aren't thinking about things like extending this site beyond 100% video games when they already have a movie and wrestling podcast going. It's a personality driven site, and I think they should create content about whatever they feel like for as long as they can get away with it.

mayor_mccheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mr_misery said:

I'm not sure I have many reasons to visit this site anymore...

I, on the other hand, love visiting this site for things like this.

Seriously though, if people are going to complain about a solid interview over one of horror film's largest recent influences, during Spooktober, by the guy who dedicates himself to scary games, and finds a way to bring LEGOs into the mix; get a stick out of your ass. This was good stuff.

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This is some of the best content on the site. The filmmaker in me respects Eduardo's willingness to embrace how formative of an experience TBWP was, and how eager he is to talk about about it even after 15 years.

This was an entertaining, insightful piece of interviewing @patrickklepek, cheers for making it happen!

razzdrazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patrickklepek, great candid interview! This definitely belongs here, not least of all because Blair Witch is super influential in the horror film genre. This kind of content makes GB great!

kippers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By kippers

I'm all for other content on the site. As has been said, a lot of the videos, features and podcasts have become equally about everyone's personalities as it has about solid video game talk. For example, it usually takes them a good 10 minutes to get into any gaming on Unprofessional Fridays. I've even been watching/listening to the Pathfinder feature, just because it's these guys doing it; I don't give a damn about Pathfinder.

I feel as if I know the Bomb Squad better than I do any other Journalists out there, and thus respect their opinions a whole lot more, even when I don't agree.

Sil3n7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#111  Edited By Sil3n7

@sammo21 said:

@sil3n7: why are you on this site? You apparently don't know much about what goes on here...

Or maybe I think almost everything Patrick does is mediocre to poor, or at the very least is nowhere near as entertaining as the core people like Brad Jeff Vinny and RIP Ryan. I'm a yearly member. Use your eyes.

Mayu_Zane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Loved this interview. Wouldn't mind more interviews with filmmakers. Sure, Giant Bomb is primarily about videogames, but I think it's nice that we get more insight in other forms of entertainment.

Grixxel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you don't like it, don't read it. I fail to see why this bothers anybody in the slightest. Who gives a shit if it is not video game related? I don't care at all for articles like these but it's not exactly offensive to have it on the website, period. It's content for those that like it/want it (and it's obvious from the responses that plenty of duders do) and hey, guess what, having it be on the front page is -not- a big deal.

Please, stop being shitty about nothing.

veovisjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sil3n7 said:

@sammo21 said:

Or maybe I think almost everything Patrick does is mediocre to poor, or at the very least is nowhere near as entertaining as the core people like Brad Jeff Vinny and RIP Ryan. I'm a yearly member. Use your eyes.

Patrick is hands down my absolute favorite and this article was right up my alley. It's fine if you're not into it, but certainly there's no need to remove the content, especially since so many of us are digging it. I think that's what's cool about this site: you can pick the people you like and follow them. If there's a crew member you're not feeling (btw I love them all!), just don't follow them. No need to snark off in the comments and rain on the parade.

Scoops 4 Life!

sissylion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sil3n7 said:

@siroptimusprime said:

@jaytow said:

@sil3n7 said:

Why is this on a video game website?

I don't mean to sound rude but I agree.

Also, it's a cool interview. I don't see people complain "where the video games at?" when Jeff reads the Space Jam novelization on UPF or when Drew talks about kayaking or some shit on a Bombcast.

If Drew wrote about Kayaking on the site I would certainly be asking the same question.

The fact is, this should have been a blog post or something on his personal site.

I, too, think I have the authority to tell someone how to run their own website.

YOUNGLINK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never a fan of the movie, in fact I think its rather dumb but nonetheless another great interview Pat! Very interesting!

Aoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Aoi

@markgcarter: There were three games all using the Nocturne engine, but only the first one was actually made by the Nocturne team. Not only was it made by the Nocturne team, but it was basically a sequel, with the lead characters from Nocturne, The Stranger and "Doc" Holiday were the leads in it too. Was always kinda bummed nothing more came of that series other than them repurposing a bunch of assets planned for Nocturne 2, and changing Svetlana into Rayne for BloodRayne (same background, same voice, same weapons)...

Edit: And I'm going to be that weird guy. I liked Blair Witch 2. I'll be the first to admit that the acting wasn't the greatest, but I did think that the story itself did interesting things with the mythos. If you want to see something truly unsettling, go watch the documentary that the director of Blair Witch 2 made about actual murders in a small Arkansas town called Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills. Really good, creepy stuff.

Aoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Aoi

@sil3n7: Then you can act like a rational adult and just not read his stuff? It's amazingly easy to do, and doesn't result in a derail. Both problems solved.

ajroo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always thought that guy was standing in the corner at the end of the Blair Witch because he was peeing. He wasnt going to turn around and get it on everyone so he was finishing before responding....

That explains a lot.

ghostNPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Excellent. Well done Patrick, wished I could have talked to him as well. You did an awesome interview.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#121  Edited By Dalai

The Blair Witch Project was a terrible movie and you all know it.

However, the interview was pretty interesting... at least what I read. You know, the video game part I guess.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By stryker1121

Anybody else read Sanchez's responses in the voice of Badger from Breaking Bad..he just has that vibe.

Nice interview, Patrick! I came to Blair Witch after the curtain was lifted so to speak and hence thought it was pretty annoying and kind of awful, really. Been years, though, and this article makes me want to revisit the flick now that it's Halloween-ing time. Would also have loved to get Sanchez's take on the misbegotten unaffiliated sequel that came out a year or two later. Did Sanchez get residuals on that?

solidlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People don't know how to Giantbomb.

beepmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sil3n7: Oh you mean the video game website that has a premium movie podcast? And does live streams of pathfinder? That video game website?

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#125  Edited By Sambambo

@sil3n7 said:

@sammo21 said:

I too am a yearly member, and feel like this fits the bill. I also love Patrick's contribution to this site.

I don't see your point.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

great interview

silentbob251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find it hilarious that people are complaining about a piece of content meant to entertain and inform you just because it isn't 100% about video games. This site has never and will never be 100% about video games which is why it is fantastic. One of the best things they've ever put up on the site was a two hour video of Drew talking about his trip to North Korea. Zero mention of games. Can these people explain how mailbags containing various food and beverages were video game related? Or as many people have pointed out how the movie and wrestling podcasts fit into what you believe the site should be?

I could understand the hate if this was some fluff piece that many sites run in order to add more content to the site. This is a well thought out, well done interview about a topic that interests many of us, myself included. If you don't like it, don't read it. It's not like this is obscuring some other content. You know what went up today besides this? Two trailers and Bombin in the A.M. That's it. I for one love to come to this site and have something to read or watch from the crew. I pay $50 a year to support these guys and what they think is best for the site and it's readers.

What it really comes down to is this, people hate Patrick. Plain and simple. The dude is doing so much good work and for months has been the guy making sure quality content is on the site day in and day out that isn't just quick looks. I find the hate, just because you don't agree with him, to be absolutely ridiculous and unwarranted. Some of you guys are very childish. Grow up or learn to stay away from content that doesn't interest you.

On the article at hand: Great interview. I'm really happy to see the guy is cool with talking about this stuff still. It always bums me out when people get fed up with talking about their earlier work or when bands won't play older songs even though that may be why I'm a fan in the first place. I get why they feel that way and don't blame them. I'm just talking about how I feel as a fan.

Blair Witch is a movie I've never watched through in a sitting, but I've probably seen most of the movie in bits and pieces over the years. With that in mind, I don't think it would be effective for me anymore, but I would like to sit down and finally watch it in its entirety in the near future.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@sil3n7 said:

@wh00kie said:

@sil3n7 said:

@siroptimusprime said:

@jaytow said:

@sil3n7 said:

Why is this on a video game website?

I don't mean to sound rude but I agree.

Also, it's a cool interview. I don't see people complain "where the video games at?" when Jeff reads the Space Jam novelization on UPF or when Drew talks about kayaking or some shit on a Bombcast.

If Drew wrote about Kayaking on the site I would certainly be asking the same question.

The fact is, this should have been a blog post or something on his personal site.

Somebody call the Waaaaaahmbulance.

I'm not whining about this I'm just saying it doesn't belong. Let's be mature.

Jeff and Ryan had long been talking about expanding this site into not just being about video games. They do a wrestling podcast now, a film podcast... This is the way the site's headed. If this didn't belong, Patrick wouldn't have gotten the go ahead to post this in the first place.

So instead of a core group of guys talking about games it'll be a low rent IGN with access only to celebrities past their prime or to talk about wrestling that 50% of the people on that podcast confess to not liking or watching? What happened to not making some scatter-shot website and instead focusing on subjective takes on video games? An interview with a couple of old horror directors seems an odd fit for the front page of this site, I don't think anyone could disagree with that... It's not about quality, it's about suitability. Alex, Rorie and Patrick should make a movies website.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, Patrick makes a really cool piece of content and everyone throws a bitch fit. I for one think it's awesome.

mixmixmixmix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

great work, if only for October.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Patrick was totally stoked to interview the co-director of The Blair Witch Project, puts it up to share, and some of you guys just shit on it saying that it "does not belong."

Some of you guys are just asses.

Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Patrick, you truly have mastered the art of asking people questions! Great interview!

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#133  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

This has always been a personality driven website, and over the years the cast has never been afraid of talking about stuff they are interested in other than video games. Some bombcasts have barely had any mentions of games at all in them, because they started discussing something entirely different instead, be it Star Trek, Hiphop or Zojirushi thermoses. This isn't some suits telling them that they have to start covering the football season or the summer's top 50 pop hitz, they just share stuff they are interested in, as they have always done, whether it's directly tied to video games or not.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everyone's having a bitch fit about this, Jesus. For fans of the film I think it's a really great interview, and for people who don't care, don't read it I guess? People never bitched when the boys talked about energy drinks, God forbid Patrick talks about a movie he loves.

DriftSPace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first Sega home console was the SG-1000, but most of my friends who had a Sega before the Genesis had the Sega Master System.

tsigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Is Giant Bomb's front page just your blog now?

Sil3n7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everyone's having a bitch fit about this, Jesus. For fans of the film I think it's a really great interview, and for people who don't care, don't read it I guess? People never bitched when the boys talked about energy drinks, God forbid Patrick talks about a movie he loves.

God forbid someone have an opinion about content not relevant to a site and something in the long term could begin to dilute whatever "brand" giant bomb may be.

Patrick is the only one that does this too. Jeff has other interests, you don't see him writing about storage wars on the site.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#138  Edited By MightyDuck

Great interview! Well done Patrick.

PimpSlappp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Patrick, this is great. I'd really love to see more of this stuff. Pretty please.

joshrholloway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved the interview. Keep up the good work, Patrick.

I'm pretty bummed that most of the complaints about this being on the site are from premium members. I just don't get it... if you don't want to read it, then don't. This is the Internet, where we have unlimited pages and we can create something out of nothing. It's not like this is a magazine or newspaper and the Blair Witch interview is taking up space that something else about video games could be filling.

PacManFevaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I loved this. Strangely enough, my interests expand from games into movies. They seem to compliment each other quite well and I would love to get more interviews with directors on the site. Great job Patrick.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fisk0 said:

This has always been a personality driven website, and over the years the cast has never been afraid of talking about stuff they are interested in other than video games. Some bombcasts have barely had any mentions of games at all in them, because they started discussing something entirely different instead, be it Star Trek, Hiphop or Zojirushi thermoses. This isn't some suits telling them that they have to start covering the football season or the summer's top 50 pop hitz, they just share stuff they are interested in, as they have always done, whether it's directly tied to video games or not.

Why is my text white in your quote? haha ... anyway, I've always seen the Bombcast as the guys talking about games and life like human beings do. And I wouldn't change it for anything. I pay for premium solely to help pay for that podcast.

I don't doubt this was entirely Patrick's idea, and I'm not even slamming the article. And I don't want to get lumped in with the "Patrick-haters" because I like his willingness to try new games and stick them out for the long haul (like Monster Hunter).

My issue is this article is just so off-base with what the majority of us come to this site for. I mean why spend time working on this for Giant Bomb when it's far more suited to Screened? The guy couldn't remember the name of the Genesis. Seriously, I like Patrick, Rorie and Alex and wish they'd just make Screened2.com

I just think the time and effort should have gone into something else gaming related for this, a gaming website. It's an anomaly. People say "don't read it than!!", but I say people should voice their opinions (praise or criticism)... otherwise we wind up with a bunch of sycophants. If developers games can be held up for scrutiny than surely articles on a website can too?

I just don't want this site to be a blog dumping ground... it's diluting what makes Giant Bomb great.

SniperXan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I come to Giant Bomb for interesting stuff. This was interesting. Thanks @patrickklepek As always you continue to bring the most interesting stuff to the table around here :D

jaxjaggywires

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't get the complaining about this article regarding the "lack of" video game content...it starts out with multiple game related questions, then naturally evolves to film questions. What's the issue here?

Good interview, Patrick.

silentbob251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sil3n7 said:

@apparatus_unearth said:

God forbid someone have an opinion about content not relevant to a site and something in the long term could begin to dilute whatever "brand" giant bomb may be.

Patrick is the only one that does this too. Jeff has other interests, you don't see him writing about storage wars on the site.

But he does have a Wrestling podcast that is an interest of his and has nothing to do with games. If you really think that Jeff, Brad, Vinny, Drew, Patrick and Alex (as well as Ryan) would ever use the words "dilute the Giant Bomb 'brand,'" let alone be worried that an interview with a movie director would hurt them at all, then I don't think you understand anything about the Giant Bomb "brand."

deathfromace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I come to Giant Bomb for interesting stuff. This was interesting. Thanks @patrickklepek As always you continue to bring the most interesting stuff to the table around here :D

I also come here for interesting things that I won't see anywhere else. I don't see how one story that will go off the front page in a few days causes as much trouble as it has. Thanks for the good read Patrick and the John Carpenter one was great as well.

SniperXan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Now.. this SHOULD end the talk about this not belonging on the site ect. but it won't. But Jeff straight up says "Patrick's just doing the thing that I wanted to do when we originally launched the site but never really did."

People claiming this is some sort of "delusion" of the "Giant Bomb Brand" have no idea what it's about at all.

Avatar image for tournamentofhate
    TournamentOfHate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

So I just listened to the audio version of this interview and came over here to read what I thought would be a bunch of excited comments about how awesome this interview was, and the thought never even entered my mind that people would be having these issues. Did I enter the Twilight Zone? What is wrong with you people? Do you even know where you are? This is fucking Giant Bomb.

@patrickklepek man, this fucking ruled, you're the best.

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By fram

@sniperxan said:
    No Caption Provided

People claiming this is some sort of "delusion" of the "Giant Bomb Brand" have no idea what it's about at all.

Quoted for truth.

Anyone who thinks this doesn't belong here, read the comments under this video.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.