Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Nov 19, 2008

Widely considered a spiritual successor to the studio's Guilty Gear series, BlazBlue is a fighting game with highly-detailed hand-drawn character graphics and a story involving sorcery and science.

So, is Jin the Ken of this game?

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By VWGTI
    No Caption Provided
    I never got into the Street Fighter 4 online scene, but I heard it was full of Ken players that would spam Shoryukens and whatnot. I've heard numerous complaints about people who use Ken on various message boards and Giantbombs bombcast.

I am, however, playing a lot of Blazblue online and I see A LOT of Jin players and matches generally play out like this.

Ice Sled, Ice Sled, Ice Sled, Cx10, repeat until victory.

I see the same senario play out whether I'm fighting him or I'm watching someone else fight him. Jin is the winner most of the times and I've even seen a couple of people quit a match after the first round due to the Jin player spamming the same two moves over and over again.

What's worse is that some of these players brag as if they're actually good. Saying things after a match like "whos next for an ass whopping?" or "I'm getting really good at Blazblue. I've won five in a row." Stuff like that infuriates me because they honestly think they have skill when it comes to BB, but in reality all they're doing is using the same two moves over and over again. It's so hard to have an offense against Jin and playing defensively doesn't turn out any better.

I dunno if I'm in the minority here and my BB skills aren't that good just yet, but I'm able to have fun and exciting matches against any other character so long as it isn't Jin. How do you feel about the Jin character and how he's being used?

Also, learn 2 block n00b!
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

#2  Edited By jeff

Last time I played, it seemed like Noel Vermillion was the Ken of BlazBlue. My first five fights were all against her.

Avatar image for holdenlafayette
    HoldenLaFayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By HoldenLaFayette

I've seen lots of Noels and Jins. Noel's the Maxi of this game with wild auto-combos that can be performed with minimal effort--I'll admit fighting against her is extremely annoying, but it's all worth it once you get your hands on her to wring her little neck.

Anyone else finding the online extremely playable and lag-free? This is the first online fighter I've tried in a long time, and I don't recall any other game that matched up in this regard.

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By VWGTI
    @HoldenLaFayette:

Yea, the actual matches are incredibly smooth and I've only seen one hicup so far. I do notice that there is some weird slow-down online right before the matche starts. It looks like the game is trying to catch up or someting.
    Avatar image for holdenlafayette
    HoldenLaFayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By HoldenLaFayette

Yeah, I've noticed that too. I guess it's not so bad, as long as it keeps the lag out of the match itself.

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Luke

Lol, well, I recently went back to playing Jin myself, because I would either use him or Ragna in the Arcade.  After not doing so well with Arakune, I just decided to main Jin on a whim over Ranga. 

Although, I would say that Noel is the most popular character online, by far.  Then comes Jin and Ranga. 

My Win Ratio did go up a TON though, after I started maining Jin.  I'm now at like +60% Wins @ Level 16, playing mostly Ranked Matches now. 

Anyway, I find that gewd players who beat me usually always Barrier Burst out if they ever get caught in my "Cx10" Move, which I can usually only get on someone once a round anyway. 

Tager can be really hard to fight against for me as Jin, as he can destroy projectiles and get close to me.  Also, if I mess-up a Musou Senshouzan (Ice Sled), I'm in for big punishment... but I also find him really easy sometimes.  It just depends on the player I guess.  Also, Litchi can out poke me as Jin, with her range. 

Basically, Musou Senshouzan (Ice Sled) is not safe on block.  So punish that! 

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By LiquidPrince

As long as Jin can't spam shoryukens, it's all alright.

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By VWGTI
    @Luke:

I feel that even when I block the Ice Sled (sorry, I'm not good with Japanese move names) they can come out of it in an attack. I'll have to practice against Jin in the training room to see what offenses I have against him.

I'm suprised a lot of people say Noel is the character they see the most online. I've come across a handful at most, basically the same amount of people who use Alucard (Rachel?). The characters I see the most are:
    Jin
    Ragna
    Bang
    Tager
    Hakumen

One character I've never fought online is Carl.
    bagmanforhire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By bagmanforhire

i see alot of Arakune and jin is wide open for an attack after doing ice sled if you block (i main jin too)

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#10  Edited By Vinchenzo

Jin is clearly the most spammable character than all newbs play. Hell, that's how I got the "Leonidas" and "Dante" achievements. Not even the computer can fuck with you! (Well they can when you get to Unlimited Ragna. God damn...) I play Noel myself but like to spam the drive button.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Stang

The Ken hate saddens me.

I have yet to play my copy, anybody want to whoop a true noob?

agent_lost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By agent_lost

I think is the way the game is setup but the Jin stuff is not as bad at it is. Also as for Noel, her Chain Revolver is very easy to counter, just block the first attack and she wide open for a counter attack.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Red

It may be the communities on the different versions. It's rare to see characters like Karl and V13, but most other characters appear about the same on the PS3 version.

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Luke

For Noel's Chain Revolver, just hold (Back + A + B) while blocking.  She'll bounce back after a couple/few hits, then punish her to hell. 

For Jin's Musou Senshouzan (Ice Sled), if he does the B, C, or D variants, wait until after the second hit to retaliate after blocking.  If he has 50% Heat, be aware that he could Rapid Cancel (A + B + C) into another move, on the first hit, which I sometimes do to mix things-up.  If you're a real badass, I guess you could Counter Assault (Forward + A + B) after blocking the first hit, in-between the second, which requires you to have 50% Heat. 

SpecialBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SpecialBuddy

This is why I play Carl Clover.

Ouroboros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ouroboros

Maybe but theres nothing as annoying as Kens Firece  shuryukens in this game - I main Noel and Ive seen a lot of Jins, Noels, Ragnas, 13s, a few rachels and a Tigar.  The game is extreamly balanced.

Also the game shows who you main and sub-main prior to the match so if its a huge deal and if someone mains or submains jin or some other dude just decline the match.  Honestly, I'd take this jin spam over ken spam anyday.  I honestly cannot play SF4 online anymore, Its fun but way too many kens that dont know how to play.
    satseb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By satseb

Jin and Noel are the most accessible characters for people playing for the first time, which is everyone in america. I would say Ragna is a close second, people get stoked about his health draining ability. I feel this game is as balanced as SF4, possibly more.
    I main Tager, sub Noel.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3
    deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

No Caption Provided
                                                                                                                                       Yes.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By LiquidPrince

Side question: Is BlazBlue a standalone story? Like it's self contained and not a sequel or anything like that right?

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By JJOR64

Either him or Noel.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JJOR64 said:
    " Either him or Noel. "
    I honestly don't see too many Noels. If I do, they go down easily. I main Tagar and don't seem to have many problems with her "spamming" anything. Popular, sure, but not the "Ken." At least not in my opinion.

@LiquidPrince
    said:
    " Side question: Is BlazBlue a standalone story? Like it's self contained and not a sequel or anything like that right? "
    Correct.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Rmack said:
    " @JJOR64 said:
    " Either him or Noel. "
    I honestly don't see too many Noels. If I do, they go down easily. I main Tagar and don't seem to have many problems with her "spamming" anything. Popular, sure, but not the "Ken." At least not in my opinion.

@LiquidPrince
    said:
    " Side question: Is BlazBlue a standalone story? Like it's self contained and not a sequel or anything like that right? "
    Correct. "
    Thanks.
    Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Luke

This is weird guys.  I definitely fight a ton more Noels than anything. 

I'm playing on PS3... maybe the 360 community Ken's Jin and the PS3 community Ken's Noel? 

To me, this is now the most interesting conundrum in the known universe. 

@Rmack: LOL! :D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Luke: Hah, thanks, but I can't take credit. Someone on the Dustloop forums made that.

Your 360/PS3 theory may be correct. I'm playing on 360 myself.
    Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Luke

I'm still thinking of picking-up the 360 version too and a stick as well, just for the Acheivements and for playing online with Giant Bombers... but, sigh... I just don't know if spending over $200 on BlazBlue sits too well with me yet or not :p 

I mainly get the PS3 version of fighters because I have 3 real life friends that are all hardcore about PS2/PS3 fighters and all have PS2/PS3 Arcade Sticks that we use on each persons PS3's. 

Anyway, I do agree that this game is way more balanced than most fighting games.  Even Carl, a Low-Mid Tier Character, won the last big BB Tournament. 

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#26  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

In Noel's defense against being "Ken-esque" (since I play as her) she's an extremely easy character to pressure. Despite having guns she's a close-range character and her only distance attack (Optic Barrel) has way too many frames of animation to be of any use. As such, she should be really easy to punish after an ineffective Drive spam session. I haven't been getting a lot of Noels on PSN though, a lot of Nu, Jin and the occasional Ragna/Hakumen.

Ouroboros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Ouroboros
    @Luke: Carl is possibly the worst character in the whole game.  Man, I almost broke something going through his arcade bit - I even had the game on Beginner and set to 1 round.  I can coast through everyone and I actually can handle every other character very well except for Carl - he's useless.  But that's just my opinion.  :(
    VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By VWGTI
    @Ouroboros:

Dude, I played a Carl in ranked match last night and he whopped my ass. I was so impressed I sent the guy a message afterwards giving him props. If Carl is used correctly (like Rachel) he can be pretty nasty.
    Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Luke

The #1 Player right now on the PS3 Rankings for Wins is a Carl Player. 

Further evidence of the most popular Characters may be to take a look at GameFAQs:  http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox360/game/958721.html 

The only 2 Character FAQs that exist, as of this writing, are Ragna and Noel... I bet Jin will be next? 

Ouroboros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Ouroboros

Yeah I think that's why I struggle and continue to refuse to play as Carl - I simply cannot multitask him the character and the manequin/doll at the same time.  I have been severely owned by many Carls online and they can dual wield the two so well its crazy.

Serker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Serker

ive been playing as Taokaka, who is like the everyman's Vega and Chun-li.

glad i picked a character nobody seems to use too much; was the same way in street fighter iv and starting with zangief and dhalsim.

as for jins, meh. taokaka has tons of counters for him, and it seems the noels im playing are too busy button mashing to avoid distortion drives.

Ouroboros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Ouroboros
    @Serker: Yeah Taokaka is deadly - I really really love how every character in the game is an acceptable option online, I think I've been raped by one of each character so far :P

I dont want to hijack/derail the thread here or am I the only one who has like, 30+ replays saved?  I love saving awesome fights and replaying them later with pop and chips...yeah, im lame :P
    cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By cloneslayer

whats the line? "there is no such thing as cheap"

you just got to learn to counteract these types of people and you'll crush them everytime

Pappasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Pappasman

Jin players like to ride the Icening a lot.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Yeah, I'd say Ragna and Jin are the characters that fight the most like a normal fighting game so they're the most beginner friendly.
    Aljosa15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Aljosa15

Everyone uses him at some point but no. Ken is a horrible character all-around while Jin is one of the best characters in BlazBlue. I see more Noel and Ragna players than Jin.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Stang
    @Aljosa15:  Please explain to me why Ken is terrible. I would love to know.
    Aljosa15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Aljosa15
    @Stang: Well...
    A. Ken is a fairly predictable player with only a few combos. 
    B. No one plays Ken at high-level play.
    C. His ultra is one of the hardest to combo into.

If you lose to flow-chart Ken players than that must mean you're a terrible player. Jin is much better because at high-level play he is still one of the most used. His damage output is high and the setups for his Distortion Drives are second only to Arakune.
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39  Edited By Shadow

I just got the game and am loving it.  Online these days though, Tager is the ken of this game.

AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By AniMoney

I bought this game but then got the RROD after playing for 30 minutes. And once I got my xbox back I was more interested in playing other stuff and haven't gotten back to it. Maybe I'll try it again this week. Anyone have any links to basic combo videos or character tutorials or anything?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By xyzygy
    @AniMoney: Go to www.dustloop.com 

It's a forum based around putting combos people find. Each character has their own forum and at the top of each thread listing is the main combo thread - there is a ridiculous amount of combos for each character here. It's how I'm learning a lot of combos. :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.