Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Blizzard Entertainment

Company »

Blizzard Entertainment Inc. (formerly named Silicon & Synapse) is an American video game developer and publisher currently based in Irvine, CA. As of July 10, 2008 they are a division of Activision Blizzard.

Letting go of my Grudge

Atary77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Atary77

Folks, I have a bit of a confession to make. Some of you may remember a fiasco that got started about 2 years ago on the Starcraft 2 Forums when I posted a list of reasons why I was pretty much not buying the game and just outright boycotting Blizzard all together. Hell Jeff even called me out on a Bombcast because of the comments I had left on my profile page. But I couldn't argue it or defend myself, it was my own fault and I pretty much deserved what got thrown at me. Like a number of folks I felt that Blizzard was no longer the same company that I fell in love with all those years ago when I played the original Starcraft or the first Diablo or Warcraft.

But ever since their new initiative with Battle.Net that you must be connected and signed in online all the time even for a single player mode, it just rubbed me the wrong way plus the lack of true LAN support something that I really valued was now pretty much gone. Being a guy who's been playing games since the 80's I defiantly had some gripes and things like this were more than enough to just trigger some rediculas nerd rage to the point where I stupidly felt that I needed to post about it. Yeah I know I was wrong, but I can admit that at least. When I look back at the arguments I made as to why I didn't want Starcraft 2 and why I didn't want to care for Diablo 3 I could see that my main argument of having to be online all the time sucks ,was blown wide open given that I have a Steam account and I pretty much support Steam.

But the big thing that I've been realizing lately is that, maybe I feel this way not because the way Blizzard was doing things seemed unethical (as I originally thought) but that instead... I'm just too set in old ways that I truly don't get how things have changed and that I refused to let myself change with it. Yeah I used to love playing LAN games with friends but those friends I've rarely gotten together with anymore and the few that have stuck around... we play online from our homes basically. Plus any given time I'm on my PC or Laptop, when am I ever offline? An internet connection isn't just this fidgety thing like Dial-up anymore, it's become a reliable sustainable source that thanks to my connection doesn't cut out often if at all.

But am I simply giving in just because these games are good and people I know personally play them and like them? Am I letting my convictions become weak? No. Because when my convictions are right I stick to them and I don't give in (like the debaucle that went on with Street Fighter X Tekken which I think is a rip off but that's another topic all together.) but sometimes you have to realize when to bite the bullet and understand that maybe your convictions were wrong. I don't think I'm simply lying down and taking anything, I'm just understanding that it might be a good idea to just give up the ghost on LAN play and the like.

The world changed, the industry changed, people changed, and sometimes those changes can be for the best. So for those of you who remember, I don't have any more hate against Blizzard anymore and yeah maybe someday when I have the cash I'll probably buy SC2 and Diablo 3 for now though I just want to get this off my chest and move on.

Peace and gamer love.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By Dagbiker

What exactly did Jeff say? But I think the reasons you listed for not liking the game are valid concerns.

Atary77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Atary77

@Dagbiker: Basically, on my profile I had originally posted how I couldn't afford SC2 since I was unemployed at the time then when I had discovered that there was no LAN or offline mode (that very day) I had posted how I was just boycotting the game and writing off Blizzard. Jeff went to my profile ,saw my comment history and basically mentioned it to the guys on the bombcast but like I said, I was kind of in the wrong. I should've looked more into the game before hand before posting and opening my mouth but nerd rage can have really stupid effects on ones judgement. =/

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By Dagbiker

@Atary77 said:

@Dagbiker: Basically, on my profile I had originally posted how I couldn't afford SC2 since I was unemployed at the time then when I had discovered that there was no LAN or offline mode (that very day) I had posted how I was just boycotting the game and writing off Blizzard. Jeff went to my profile ,saw my comment history and basically mentioned it to the guys on the bombcast but like I said, I was kind of in the wrong. I should've looked more into the game before hand before posting and opening my mouth but nerd rage can have really stupid effects on ones judgement. =/

Its cool that you want to approach this with an open mind.

Atary77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Atary77

@Dagbiker: Yeah, but it wasn't just the profile thing it was my post on the SC2 forums that just dug me in an even deeper hole. But yeah I look back on it now and I just think it's all kinda funny and a little sad that I let myself sink down to that level.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Jeust

I salute you for moving on, but personally I can't get behind Blizzard, and I won't buy a game from them for now. The developer is pressing some unsavoury measures, like the constant internet connection DRM or even the higher prices compared to the other PC developers, and I won't support them. Also I don't feel the last games are that innovative, they seem more updates on the stapples of the genres, less inspired in the story front.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.