Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bloodborne

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Mar 24, 2015

An action role playing game by FromSoftware, marking the studio's debut on the PlayStation 4. It shares creative roots, as well as gameplay elements, with the Souls series.

Giving The Series A 2nd Chance. Help Me Help Myself

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 52

#1  Edited By tearhead

Hey, so the only experience I have with the Souls series is Demon's Souls and I fell off after killing 3 bosses according to my trophy list. I went into that game thinking I'll need all the help I can get, so I followed a walkthrough, a decision which now looking back, doesn't seem like the best way to experience the game. I remember falling off when i got to the point where the walkthrough was telling me how I should care about world tendency and explained the tedious way to effect it. I very quickly felt overwhelmed and lost interest.

So I just bought Bloodborne, thinking I'll give it another shot. Playing RPG's I like to be as informed as I can and try my best to not miss key items and such. So my question is, what would be the best way to not feel like I'm fumbling through, anxious that I'm "playing it wrong." Should I stick to message boards? Read a wiki? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Honestly I wouldn't read anything and just play. Don't feel anxious. Just play. A huge part of these games is discovery.

violet_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

just wing it, thats pretty much what i did with all these games. They're not that complex.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would read up on some of the "advice for new players" stuff. It's sorta important to know stuff like not getting too sad about losing some souls(blood), and understanding how the gear and stat system works. But try to stay away from more specific "guide" info, at least until you've given it a try for yourself. If you're playing the game and there's something you just can't figure out yourself, checking a wiki isn't the end of the world.

Pilgrimm1981

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Pilgrimm1981

To me that's exactly the appeal of the souls games, not knowing what the f is going on. You just explore and inevitably die and hopefully learn from that. You need patience, and you need to play at a methodical pace. The games are not that hard that all in the end and the confusing game mechanics Demon's Souls admittedly (at first) had, have since been streamlined.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By HH

don't play if you're in an impatient or testy mood, a calm nerve prevails. that's the only rule i have for a souls game, otherwise work with what you discover, you don't 'need' anything.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Did you see the movie Edge of Tomorrow? That serves as a good analogy on how to approach these games. I dunno how it is with this game in particular but the series in general makes New Game+ worth your time, so even if you don't do everything perfectly on your first playthrough there is plenty of incentive to come back, by which time you'll naturally have a much better understanding of the game in general. I don't usually play games more than once, even these ones, but they are good for it if you care enough. Either way the first playthrough should always be accompanied by that anxious feeling of the unknown, it's what makes these games so damn unique.

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

Play for three or four hours and just discover. If you haven't figured out what a certain item or stat does, look it up online. Other than that, just go with it. A great part of these games is exploration and discovery!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.