Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Book Tie-in

Concept »

Games that are based upon books or novels.

Not sure if i agree with the description of this concept.

• 64 results
    zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By zitosilva
    Endogene said:
    "Confused here (once again) are you saying that both adaptation and tie in can be used to describe a game based on another medium depending on how truly it sticks to the medium... ?"
    You mean about what I said of Dante's Inferno? I think it's a bad example since we don't really know the game's plot. It could be they just took the title, so it's hard to say. But, from what I got, a Tie-In has to stick at least to the same universe as the original source... doesn't it?

And, yes, Sam & Max was originally a strip, then it became a comic book and then became a game. So I guess it's correct to say it's a Comic Book Tie-In.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#52  Edited By jakob187

I agree that Dante's Inferno shouldn't be on that list.  As the blurb describes it, these are book based off of video games, and I'm pretty sure that Dante's Inferno is working the other way around on that one.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Endogene
    zitosilva said:
    "Endogene said:
    "Confused here (once again) are you saying that both adaptation and tie in can be used to describe a game based on another medium depending on how truly it sticks to the medium... ?"
    You mean about what I said of Dante's Inferno? I think it's a bad example since we don't really know the game's plot. It could be they just took the title, so it's hard to say. But, from what I got, a Tie-In has to stick at least to the same universe as the original source... doesn't it?

And, yes, Sam & Max was originally a strip, then it became a comic book and then became a game. So I guess it's correct to say it's a Comic Book Tie-In."
    It is the fact the i started to believe that a adaption is when a game is made into a medium.

chililili said:
    "Endogene said:
    "Just to be sure:

Book or novel adaptation: Books or novels based upon a video games.

Book Tie-In: Games based upon a novel or a book."
    Yes, I like how the conclusion is to leave it as it was originally."
    this here. Well lets skip dante's infirno since we do not know much about it but lets take American Mc Gee's Alice witch is based upon the fable/novel, how would you classify that game?
    chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#54  Edited By chililili
    zitosilva said:
    "Endogene said:

And, yes, Sam & Max was originally a strip, then it became a comic book and then became a game. So I guess it's correct to say it's a Comic Book Tie-In."
    I think that we could have a debate on that, but in order to keep it simple lets jsut say that regardless of how much of the source material remains intact, if something is a  XXXXX adaptation, the videogame inspired the XXXXX, but if it is an XXXXX tie-in, then the videogame comes from the XXXXX.
    zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#55  Edited By zitosilva
    Endogene said:
    chililili said:
    "Endogene said:
    "Just to be sure:

Book Tie-In: Games based upon a novel or a book."
    Yes, I like how the conclusion is to leave it as it was originally."
    this here. Well lets skip dante's infirno since we do not know much about it but lets take American Mc Gee's Alice witch is based upon the fable/novel, how would you classify that game?
    "
    I guess that, from what was discussed,  it makes American Mc Gee's Alice a Book Tie-In...? God, I hope I got this one right.

chililili said:
    "zitosilva said:
    "Endogene said:

I think that we could have a debate on that, but in order to keep it simple lets jsut say that regardless of how much of the source material remains intact, if something is a  XXXXX adaptation, the videogame inspired the XXXXX, but if it is an XXXXX tie-in, then the videogame comes from the XXXXX."
    You totally lost me there dude.
    Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Endogene

It is just like i said some post higher up but with the type of medium replaced by XXXXX

Book Tie-In: Games based upon a novel or a book.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#57  Edited By jakob187
    Endogene said:
    "this here. Well lets skip dante's infirno since we do not know much about it but lets take American Mc Gee's Alice witch is based upon the fable/novel, how would you classify that game?"
    It's an adaptation.
    Definition of adaptation via Merriam-Webster:  a composition rewritten into a new form

So, in turn...it would mean that most of what we've talked about are adaptations.  A tie-in would be something that is almost expressly made as a way to gain extra profit from a property all at once.  i.e. Harry Potter: Order of the Phoenix game released at the same time as Harry Potter: Order of the Phoenix movie

*EDIT*  I found a definition of tie-in as well:  a book or other product that is linked with a film or TV program
    This would mean that video games are actually tie-ins with the films or TV program is the film of TV program existed first.  Meanwhile, if the book or the game existed first, then it would lead to the films and shows being adaptations.

Wow, this is fucking confusing, Endogene.
    Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Endogene
    jakob187 said:
    "Endogene said:
    "this here. Well lets skip dante's infirno since we do not know much about it but lets take American Mc Gee's Alice witch is based upon the fable/novel, how would you classify that game?"
    It's an adaptation.
    Definition of adaptation via Merriam-Webster:  a composition rewritten into a new form

So, in turn...it would mean that most of what we've talked about are adaptations.  A tie-in would be something that is almost expressly made as a way to gain extra profit from a property all at once.  i.e. Harry Potter: Order of the Phoenix game released at the same time as Harry Potter: Order of the Phoenix movie
    "
    Ha back to zero we are...

How about we just call these different concepts:

Game adapted from Medium X
    Game adapted to Medium X

Since tie-in and adaptation are the same thing in some manner?

(this is indeed a "ball breaker" Jakob)
    chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#59  Edited By chililili
    Endogene said:
    "jakob187 said:
    "Endogene said:
    It's an adaptation.

"
    Ha back to zero we are...

How about we just call these different concepts:

Game adapted from Medium X
    Game adapted to Medium X

Since tie-in and adaptation are the same thing in some manner?
    "
    Fine by me, the definitions seems to be quite ambivalent
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#60  Edited By PureRok

A tie-in adds on to the product (or gets tied on), while an adaptation retells it.

Example: The Blizzard books are tie-ins because they add on to the universe they are based on, but Spider-man: The Movie (game) is an adaptation because it's a retelling of the movie in video game form.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Endogene
    PureRok said:
    "A tie-in adds on to the product (or gets tied on), while an adaptation retells it.

Example: The Blizzard books are tie-ins because they add on to the universe they are based on, but Spider-man: The Movie (game) is an adaptation because it's a retelling of the movie in video game form."
    I was more looking in a way to show the translation from one medium to another, i thought that "adaptation" would be the inverse of "tie in" but i was wrong. When looking at the current "tie-in" pages the games that are in there are most of the time adaptations and only sometimes adaptations, pretty confusing as it is now.

So best would be in my opinion to change the name of the for example "movie tie-in" page to "Games based on movies" and the inverse "Movies based on Games" (think it is better to drop the term adopt i proposed in a earlier post, since people might think that the list i only contains games that tell the exact story of the game)
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#62  Edited By PureRok

There's no reason to have a movies based on games page since this isn't a movie website.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Endogene

And there i was thinking it would be fun to know what games where remade in other mediums...
    Those concept pages could have been really interesting.

ZeroKelvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#64  Edited By ZeroKelvin

Hey gang, great discussion...

The original intent of this concept was simple... I saw many games listed with "movie tie-in" or "tv tie-in" concepts and I thought, "why not a book tie-in?"  It seemed such a simple step, but I agree with the general discussion that there are really two categories here.  Some games are based on intellectual property that originated in book/novel form (e.g. all LOTR games are based on Tolkien's books), and some books are based on IP that originated in a video game (e.g. books in the Halo franchise, I think).

The original concept was not divided and simply indicated that a book/novel exists that relates to the events/characters of a game.  I'm willing to admit that you all have put a lot more thought into the concept than I had, and I think it's awesome that this site can evolve and grow based on our input and discussion.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.