Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands 2

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released Sep 18, 2012

Return to Pandora as part of a new group of ragtag Vault Hunters in this sequel to the 2009 first-person "role-playing shooter" Borderlands, now with new crazy enemies, new crazy character classes, and even crazier weapons.

Best Class for Solo Play

theimmortalbum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By theimmortalbum

Loaded title in more ways than one. Given my time constraints (I have a wife and small baby) I'll be real in and out in terms of playtime.

So what class do you guys think is best for solo play? I'd make this a poll but I apparently am so dumb I can't figure out how to do that.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By colourful_hippie

The commando is doing just fine for me so far even though I'm only like 6 hours in. Having the turret act like a second dude who takes aggro off you helps a lot.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Marcsman

My vote is the Siren. The phasing let's you run away from tough situation. That being said I'm going solo with the Gunnzerker.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jozzy

I don't really have an answer for your question because it's still early on, but I just wanted to say the co-op is so seamless that even if you don't have a lot of time you can just set your game public and people will just hop in and out, it doesn't feel like you are hurting anyone if you need to stop. It's also easy to just join a game for a bit that way. The co-op doesn't seem to require a huge time commitment if you play with randoms.

I will say that the Gunzerker has been extremely soloable so far (lvl 13). His special ability instantly gives you back 50% of your health and recharges ammo which is really useful.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By BBAlpert

I've been soloing as Zero (though like everyone else so far, I'm not all that far into the game myself), and I'm been making out alright. I can see potentially having some issues later on if there are any tight, close-quarters areas, but most of what I've encountered has been wide open areas where I can snipe from a safe distance.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By chilibean_3

They're all fine for solo play. Just need to figure out the best play style for you to have fun and survive.

theimmortalbum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By theimmortalbum

@chilibean_3 said:

They're all fine for solo play. Just need to figure out the best play style for you to have fun and survive.

Shh. I like killing things. I like sniping but think it's super hard because everything's moving all the time. Just tell me what to play! ;)

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@theimmortalbum said:

@chilibean_3 said:

Shh. I like killing things. I like sniping but think it's super hard because everything's moving all the time. Just tell me what to play! ;)

For sniping you pretty much have to headshot everything to take advantage of the critical damage bonus, usually there's a perch somewhere in any major area to snipe, but it still winds up being situational due to ammo limitations.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By The_Nubster

The Soldier is a good choice for taking aggro off of you, and the Gunserker's action skill is good for getting out of tight.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

So, did they change it so you hide behind walls like it was the Call of Duty, wait for your shields to recharge? I'm used to playing Borderlands where you go right at the enemy and take the fight to them, if you go down you shoot them and get up... in this game, they constantly kill you and then run around corners or outside of your weapons useful range. Not just once or twice, but this happens five times on every quest, I swear the enemies are programmed to move away from you in order to make each death a respawn.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By Lukeweizer

I'm in a similar situation. I'm playing the PC version mostly solo, but will be playing on 360 with a couple friends. I've dabbled with all the classes but Commando. I'm only about 2 hours in with the 3 classes, so I can't really give any valid input. But I agree with the 2nd poster, I bet the turret of the Commando would help a lot to relieve some agro.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#12  Edited By Yummylee

I love how everyone suggested a different class :P

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By laserbolts

I just made it to a boss named W4R D3N and it is extremely difficult. Zero goes down so easily and his class ability sucks.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By zaccheus

@Brodehouse: I played for just a few hours but definitely noticed this. Really annoying when you are surrounded and die and while you get the animation before last stance all the enemies just run away...

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By chilibean_3

@Fredchuckdave said:

@theimmortalbum said:

@chilibean_3 said:

For sniping you pretty much have to headshot everything to take advantage of the critical damage bonus, usually there's a perch somewhere in any major area to snipe, but it still winds up being situational due to ammo limitations.

I've been sniping a lot with my Siren even though the Assassin has the sniper specific skills. Don't know if you're on console or PC but it's probably a lot easier for me to line up a bunch of headshots on the PC. And like he says, this game's level design gives you plenty of ways to approach combat so sniping is a pretty good option if you want to take out large groups from a distance. With the assassin class you could use the cloak ability as a way to get out of a tight spot instead of an offensive ability if you need it. With the Siren I can take the guy giving me the business out of the situation for a bit giving me time to move/regroup. She also has a healer skill tree if you want to work that angle. I'm more building her to put out plenty of elemental pain.

Avatar image for gorndonfredoman
    gorndonfredoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By gorndonfredoman

From my experience of trying the siren, zero, and the gunzerker I would say the siren seems the best class to solo as. Two of her first tier skills increase shield capacity/decrease recharge delay and another gives you health orbs, her skill allows you to lock out the most powerful enemies while also having a quick cooldown, and given the focus on her elemental powers and the increased importance of that in BL2 I suspect she is in fact the most powerful single player character. Also with the harmony tree you can easily respec as a healer if you find you wish to do multiplayer later.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By chilibean_3

@Brodehouse: Weird. I haven't really had that issue getting up from a second wind. I wouldn't say they've changed to be more like other games. They've just made the enemies smarter.

tphickma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By tphickma

@theimmortalbum: I also have a wife and 18 mo old so ive found the commando to be perfect for my play style, being able to run through areas, drop a turret and clear a room getting the exp while still quickly moving through the area, this has turned out great. I also play alot while they are asleep ;)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.