Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands 2

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released Sep 18, 2012

Return to Pandora as part of a new group of ragtag Vault Hunters in this sequel to the 2009 first-person "role-playing shooter" Borderlands, now with new crazy enemies, new crazy character classes, and even crazier weapons.

Who is the better siren? Lillith or Maya?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By musubi

Just wondering what siren you cats prefer. I've been playing Maya simply because I have no interest in the other classes and its what I played last time. Im just not finding her ability very useful ATM possibly it will get better but I liked Lillith a whole lot better. Was curious what everyone else thought. Also any suggestions on what skills make her phase lock the most fun? Can you ever lock more than one enemy?

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By YI_Orange

I only played a little bit a both of them(not a huge fan, I'm a soldier/commando guy), so I can't really say for that. I like playing on a team with a Maya better though. Phaselock is really useful on 4 player.

As characters it kind of defaults to Lilith at this point since she got some development and Maya is essentially just a shell. Also, finding the Roland Facebook page in Lilith's lair was awesome.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

If your playing Co-op Maya is an amazing support character if you spec her right.

nerdsbeware

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By nerdsbeware

Maya by far IMO. Phaselock seems to be a far better skill in both terms of offensive and defensive means. Pair up with a gunzerker and man you will wreck stuff fast. I have a solid Harmony Nurse build that I'm playing co-op with and almost 9 times out of 10 I'll end up being the last one standing rezzing everyone.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By imhungry

Gameplay-wise Maya's skill trees are definitely more appealing to me, probably mostly because I don't really like to use SMGs. In terms of just teh overall character though, Lillith probably edges out Maya.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

Lillith. I'm a sucker for redheads.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Lilith was a beast later on, very agile and spreading elements like its going out of style.
    Maya seems more of a team focused Siren with Phaselock really, both have their own good sides though, like em both a lot.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Justin258

Lillith's ability in the first game wasn't really all that clear to me at first. You just turn invisible and run from cover to cover? I thought you could attack with it but that got me killed a few times. Either way, her ability and Brick's ability from the first game didn't seem terribly useful to me. Phaselock seems infinitely more useful.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#9  Edited By StarvingGamer

Maya. Phase Lock is sooo much better.

EDIT: Actually read the rest of your post o_O. In terms of usefulness, I primarily use it as a Badass killing tool. I combine it with a high DPS weapon like a Jacobs revolver, and use it to take out Badasses before they have a chance to fight back. I'm level 28 and it still works reliably on almost every type of Badass.

Skill-wise, I haven't really invested in the skill specifically since it doesn't work against bosses and I'd rather just buff my general gun stats. I did put one point into Converge, the skill that sucks nearby enemies in, but only because it happened to have 10 points in the Motion tree already. Sub-Sequence actually seems like a pretty cool skill though. With good aim and the right guns you could probably clear a room off of a single Phaselock.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By aurahack

I like Lilith as a character better but despite sinking in 50 levels into her in the first game, I find Maya infinitely more fun to play as. Phaselock is an amazing ability and my friend, who plays as Zero, can really fuck shit up when we pair our abilities together. SUPER fun.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Nottle

I found Maya's wildlife reserve echo recorder. Her story seems ok.

I'm on a team with my friends as Maya, they are playing each of the other classes and I feel like I'm probably the most useful party member. Phaselock gives everyone health and it lets us focus on tougher enemies.

You know that 10 seconds you spend reviving your friends? I just look at them use phaselock and they get up instantly.

Also I'm building my character a completely different way. in this game I'm support, in BL1 I elemental damaged everything.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Phaselock is way better than Phasewalk, but man the Firebird tree or whatever it was called, that thing was crazy. Everytime your shields drop you burn everything around you, you triple all fire damage, that thing was crazy.

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Gruff182

Lillith was better for me, I still like the new Siren.

Mayas more of a support character. Lillith could support a team but also ruin everything in site and get around fast!.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By musubi
    @believer258

Lillith's ability in the first game wasn't really all that clear to me at first. You just turn invisible and run from cover to cover? I thought you could attack with it but that got me killed a few times. Either way, her ability and Brick's ability from the first game didn't seem terribly useful to me. Phaselock seems infinitely more useful.

You can. When she reenters from phasewalking a huge erruption happens and with class mods you can add elemental damage. It wad super useful to run into a crowd and unleash it for massive corrosive damage.
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By Hizang

I am currently playing through Borderlands one, I haven't touched the second one but I really dig Lillth. I'm just a bit past New Haven and am about level 24. I love her ability, it's less of an offensive move and more of a get the hell out of there fast. But I've spec'd her so I get health back when she phase walks and she hurts enemies alot too.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#16  Edited By beargirl1

i miss Phasewalk a lot but Maya is a lot more fun to play as. Phaselock is kickass and it looks the abilities later on will make it even more fun to play around with. i kinda miss Lilith's bitchiness though

Synaptic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Synaptic

Lilith had the better skill trees. Improved elemental chance and stuff was op as hell.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hitchenson

Lilith was insanely op, the other classes in the first game didn't even come close to her. Maya's fun as hell to play though.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Spoonman671

I prefer Maya so far.  I always felt like I was retreating with Lilith, but with Maya I get to run up and shotgun fools in the face.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Justin258

@Demoskinos said:

@believer258

You can. When she reenters from phasewalking a huge erruption happens and with class mods you can add elemental damage. It wad super useful to run into a crowd and unleash it for massive corrosive damage.

Yeah, I figured that out quickly enough, but it wasn't very useful at first. This is unlike the Soldier's turret, which was useful from the start and pretty much became a gamebreaker.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By huntad

They're both pretty good and fun to play at higher levels.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By Tennmuerti

Lilith was too OP in the first game. Best damage of all classes combined with temp invulnerability on a short cooldown and shield/ammo regen. I would know :P having cake walked through playthrough 2 and all DLC like a playground, then legit soloing Crawmerax in the first few days.

Maya seems to have gotten the short end of the stick initially, which is deserved because disbalance is bad mkay. But i notice all the classes in Borderlands 2 only truly start coming into their own and begin feeling powerfull once you start getting into teens past your first major skill unlock and closer towards the last tier unlock. So need to play her some more, my Maya is a bit low lvl atm.

Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Portis

Maya. Phaselock is some serious fucking business.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By mosdl

Since I was planning on doing a lot of co-op I speced my Maya for it and it was amazingly usefull. Phaselocking a friend into second wind immediately saved out bacon, especially for the final boss.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CheapPoison

I think Maya isn't even close to Lilith from the skills i read.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#26  Edited By Humanity

@Brodehouse: You actually get a shield just like that for doing a sidequest.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By toowalrus

Now that they've expanded Lillith a little bit, I think she's pretty cool. 

Actually, I liked her Phasewalk a little better than the Phaselock, so I'd have said her either way.

Nev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#28  Edited By Nev

Lilith was my 'main' in Borderlands 1, and I put dozens of hours in playing her. Maya is my main in 2. I played entirely solo in both.

I vastly prefer Phaselock. Maya's Cataclysm tree has been really kickass. Phaselocking a guy in a group, and just unloading on him, and thanks to Helios, Chain Reaction, and Cloud Kill, the majority of the enemies around him are also dead. Recently grabbing 5/5 Blight Phoenix + Ruin, I imagine that will be even more-so. I also use a Relic that lowers her Phaselock cooldown, so its up very fast.

All in all, Maya has been quite a killing machine. Lilith was badass, too, but I did not find Phasewalking nearly as useful as a "use in every encounter" as I do Phaselock.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By MikkaQ

Maya for sure. Phase walking was so fucking useless.

Twiggy199

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Twiggy199

@aurahack said:

I like Lilith as a character better but despite sinking in 50 levels into her in the first game, I find Maya infinitely more fun to play as. Phaselock is an amazing ability and my friend, who plays as Zero, can really fuck shit up when we pair our abilities together. SUPER fun.

I thought Zero wasn't out yet?

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By Tennmuerti

@MikkaQ said:

It was the most overpowered class ability in the original Borderlands. Also the main reason why sirens were the first class to solo Crawmerax without an exploit.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#32  Edited By KowalskiManDown

@JeanLuc said:

If your playing Co-op Maya is an amazing support character if you spec her right.

This. I've been playing Siren with 3 of my mates and if you spec down the healing tree she is absolutely incredible. Reviving people instantly from long range can come in extremely handy. I basically never die anymore either. I'm enjoying her power more than Liliths. Especially when you're up against a boss or badass character, being able to stop them from attacking for a period of time and hold them in midair can be really handy.

bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By bkbroiler

Zer0 pretty much has Lilith's phasewalk ability, so if you miss that try him out. I'm speccing my guy as more of a sniper, but it seems like you can go for massive pistol/melee damage if you want.

udabenshen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By udabenshen

Specced correctly, Phasick can be a devastating bomb of elemental damage, it just takes getting up to a higher level. I do kind of feel like the fact that The vanilla version of Phaselock doesn't do damage is kind of discouraging to new Siren players, but once you master the cataclysm tree is really powerful.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By musubi

Hmm.. phaselock is growing on me now that I finally got to one of the mid-tier abilities. Now I can at least use it as a AOE to burn enemies which is neat.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#36  Edited By Snail

I hate when threads miss out on a clear opportunity for a poll.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

#38  Edited By Yummylee

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Lilith was a beast later on, very agile and spreading elements like its going out of style. Maya seems more of a team focused Siren with Phaselock really, both have their own good sides though, like em both a lot.

Yup, this. Lilith was insanely overpowered once she got up in the levels, and Phasewalk was incredibly useful for getting out of a tight situation while also massacring everything around you. I even solo'd crawremax thanks to her ability. Maya's still OK and I'm sure I'm going to enjoy playing as her a lot more when I can spec into making her Phaselock an explosive singularity, but I still kinda miss playing as Lillith :P

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#39  Edited By psylah

@Tennmuerti said:

@MikkaQ said:

It was the most overpowered class ability in the original Borderlands. Also the main reason why sirens were the first class to solo Crawmerax without an exploit.

Phasewalking was so OP. Phasewalk>Melee>SMG spray> Phasewalk>Rinse> Repeat

Maya has an actual backstory, so I like her better already.

Avatar image for royalewifcheese
    RoyaleWifCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By RoyaleWifCheese

@TheSouthernDandy said:

Seconded.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

#41  Edited By Yummylee

@RoyaleWifCheese said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

Seconded.

Maya could still be a redhead if ya want, what with all of the palette swaps options the game gives you.

Jeric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Jeric

Gameplay-wise, I'm sure Lilith's Phasewalk is more comparable to Decepti0n. Having mained her in BL1 and maining Maya now, I can say that they're super different and it's all in preference.

With Lilith I was able to rush around the battlezone, destroying every single thing (including every goddamn exploding barrel) with her Kill Skill buffs. If things got heated, I had an escape option which doubled as a damage dealer.

I'm at Lv28 with Maya and I've tried each tree at some point, ending up with me choosing the Control tree. Harmony is alright, best for a team - Cataclysm's made up of damage boosters, which aren't my thing, as I prefer "utility" abilities. Control allowed me to have unstoppable shield survivability and kickass group manipulation. I can't tell you how many times I used the gravity pull combined with a powerful rocket launcher.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Blackout62

Lilith, oh the stuff I wrecked playing as Lilith.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
    ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Phaselock is fun. I find myself using it way more than I used Phasewalk in the first game.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I loved how quickly Lilith could cover space. For me, that was her appeal.

Maya functions as a medic/shield-stripper. At least the way I play her. She's never going to be the vanguard of the group, but Phaselock allows her to freeze enemies in place, debuff them, and restore health to the entire squad. Phaselock can instantly revive a downed teammate and, in the Cataclysm tree, enact a multitude of status effects on any enemy whenever she wants.

Maya's deadly in the right hands. You always should have a good Maya on your team.

avago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By avago

I have all 5 characters at level 50. friends watch me and remind me to get ammo. but as maya says in game 'I dont need ammo' maya is better than lilith for the obvious reasons of phaselock. phasewalk is on zero the assassin. and if you spec zero right when you kill while in 'Deception' you redeploy and it starts again.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.