Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Oct 20, 2009

Borderlands is a first-person shooter RPG from Gearbox Software that puts players into the shoes of one of four playable characters as they traverse the hostile planet of Pandora in search of a mysterious "Vault," said to contain priceless unknown riches and alien technologies.

Mystery purchase?

SmithSyndicate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SmithSyndicate

Alright, this is kind of a random story. 

I was going through my memory settings in my 360 deleting things (mostly because I'm mildly OCD, I have more than enough storage space).  My "Borderlands" section caught my attention, sitting at almost 2 gb's worth of data.  "I deleted my installed version after I was done with the rental," I said to myself.  Curious, I clicked open the folder.

Apparently, on March 1, 2010, at 2:36am I bought, downloaded, installed the Secret Armory of General Knoxx.  

Now, I don't even OWN Borderlands.  Hell, the only time I played it was when I rented it for an all nighter a friend and I had when he had leave from the Marine's.  After that, I returned it and never thought about it again.  It burnt me out a little bit, getting to level 23 in one sitting.  On top of that, I don't play video games that late on school night's.

So now I have a dilemma.  I didn't even notice the 800 points missing, only the fact that my Borderlands folder was taking up more space than what 2 save files should have.  Obviously, I can't get a refund for this.  I'm assuming it was one of those "someone was messing with a controller when the DLC was on the front page and hit A 3 times" which resulted in the purchase.   

I don't really want the purchase to go to waste, though... So my only option seems to be buying it.  Considering I still have a sour taste in my mouth from playing it for so long in one sitting, I'm asking you guys: has it held up since launch?  Is it still fun for you?  

I guess I just wanted to share my story.

EDIT: I figured it out.  The mystery purchase.  My parents were gone that week and Sunday night my brother thought it would be a good idea to throw a party.  It went on until well after 2:30 am, and they were using my 360 to play music.  Some drunk bastard must have bought it accidentally.

SmackmYackm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SmackmYackm

I got a little burned out on it after playing it for a few weeks and leveling to 31. I still really enjoy the game, I just played too much at once. I would say you might like it more if you came back to it. 

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By sixghost

Yes, but only if you have people to play it with, online or otherwise. It's been on the front page of GB for a while, which is usually a good sign when it comes to a game's longevity.

Also, there should really be a mandatory password required to purchase shit.

Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
    deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

@SmithSyndicate said:  

people tend to have a loss of logic when dealing with money. I think that is the case here. If you already spent the 10 bucks or whatever it was to buy the dlc, but u dont want to play the game. u SHUDNT buy it. Thats just wasting MORE money. you can keep it on ur system and if u ever happen to want to play the game, its still there. But just because you spent and lost 10 bucks, doesnt mean you should go and spend another 60 for something you dont want. that would be wasting your money.
    Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Luke
    @SmithSyndicate:  Password/Pin protect your account and make a Guest Account for randoms to use.  Especially do this if you're also linked with Facebook/Twitter... man, they could have had some gewd times fuckin' with your life if so :p 
    Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Skytylz

I leveled to 50 and I would get the dlc if I had any points.

SmithSyndicate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SmithSyndicate
    @arab_prince:  
    Easy, buddy.  You're making a lot of assumptions there.

I enjoyed the game, or else I wouldn't have kept playing it.  That said, playing any game ALL night will burn you out on it.  I didn't play it at all after that because my friend and I didn't have time to co-op it.  And, honestly, it's no fun to me single player. 

I never, ever buy a game for $60.  That's just asking to get burnt.  When I DO buy Borderlands, it won't be until school is out this summer and I can get it for $20-30.  Also, by that time my friend will again be back from more Marine training and possibly living in a house with me.  We could get our money's worth.

I do, however, appreciate your sincere concern for my spending habits.

@Luke: I'll do that, didn't know it was possible.  My Xbox is the main entertainment unit for parties and what not, so it will be good for the future.  They weren't looking to fuck with me, though, purely accidental.  They don't know how to operate video game systems.
    Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
    deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@SmithSyndicate: mhmm assumptiions are my specialty and strangers' spending habits is my work :) 

well if youre going to have those conditions than sure, buy it. :)
    landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By landon

This story became a lot less fun once the mystery was solved...

stephengotlost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By stephengotlost

I actually just started to enjoy it a lot more too. Ironically, it was when I started to play solo. With 4 players, the enemies seem to soak up way too many bullets.

Not to mention, the game certainly looked and ran much better when I upgraded my computer.

SmithSyndicate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SmithSyndicate
    @Landon: I'll add a spoiler tag next time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.