Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Oct 20, 2009

Borderlands is a first-person shooter RPG from Gearbox Software that puts players into the shoes of one of four playable characters as they traverse the hostile planet of Pandora in search of a mysterious "Vault," said to contain priceless unknown riches and alien technologies.

Solo Craw with Roland NO HIDING Walkthrough + Vids

cjgarof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By cjgarof

Ok so it seems most of the material I come across on Youtube in regard to killing craw seems to involve sirens and phasewalk AKA THE EASY BUTTON LOLOLOL (I don't think that I just thought it was FUNNY), or the ledge glitch. (BLEAH!!!!! SHUT UP N00B!!!) So I was inspired to come up with a solo strategy for SOLDIERS, since I only play as one.

Most of the solo vids that didn't involve the ledge glitch seemed to have nearly IMPOSSIBLE run and gun techniques that I myself as an avid gamer couldn't even recreate. So this is for you guys who are feeling frustrated. Basically if you can run and shoot, you CAN do it. All it takes is a bit of perserverence, and a whole lot of luck and practice.

Here I'll discuss some tips, tricks, what if scenarios, and ideal build/gear for the fight. I'm not going to take credit for all of these, since I've spent some time compiling a few strategies and discussing with my friends here on the board, but I've taken the time to come up with my own pieces as well, and put them all in once place. So let's get this rolling, shall we?

The Build

The skills I've chosen as first and foremost for this build are anything that promotes regenerative effects for health, shields, ammo, and your Scorpio to keep you going throughout the fight.

1. Stat IS AN ABSOLUTE MUST!!! You'll see why when we get to the strategy section. Basically Stat gives you a major boost to health regen when you kill an enemy.

2. Supply Drop . I prefer this over the Support Gunner Mod in that it is MORE effective in replenishing your ammo supply more quickly. It also allows you to equip mods that will give significant boost to damage instead, such as a Heavy Gunner, Shock Trooper, or Commando without having to worry about ammo.

3. Refire This one is also imperative. Basically if you've got a fast smg or machine gun as your main damage dealer to Craw, it will significantly cut down the cooldown time for the Scorpio. Plenty more oppourtunities to distract Craw and his buddies, as well as more opportunities to regen ammo with Supply Drop.

My exact build at the time of this walkthrough:

http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/sk...50500555050055

Suggested Gear

The guns I'm going to suggest are not uber ones, but they are effective indeed. The only one you might have trouble finding with suggested specs is the Penetrator, in which case I see a lot of guys who have them for trade, dupe (BOOOOOO!!!), or farm until you get a decent one. These are also not absolute imperatives. If you've got your favorite guns that will accomplish the same purpose, go ahead and use them.

Desert/Liquid Penetrator Non-elemental 700-800 base dam. Good for taking out Craw's back. Fully automatic and can score multiple high damage hits rather quickly. The only problem with this gun is the recoil, so a steady aim helps.

Double Anarchy 140x4 - 188x4 base dam, 12.5 firerate or above. A fast and effective means of dealing a lot of damage to Craw's vitals from a safe distance. The high damage and rate of fire on this particular gun usually leads to a significant drop in accuracy... but its speed and damage capabilites are worth it. The drop in accuracy requires better shot placement or aim... basically in the initial stages of the fight you can just spray away from across the field and score a lot of crits. When Craw gets down to his last few limbs is when you have to be more concious of your aim. For Craw's last few limbs, I would suggest centering the reticule around his armpits to continue to score critical hits until they blow off completely.

Pestilent Crux 140x7 - 160x7 base dam. The faster and more powerful the better. Good for armored worms, and getting second winds from them if need be.

Liquid Orion - 600-800 base dam, x4 electric, 2.4 fire rate. This takes out the maggots quite effectively.

Combustion Hellfire - 140-200 base dam, x4 fire, 12.5 fire rate. This takes out the green worms quite effectively.

Impenetrable Panacea - 2036/257 This is the best healing shield I've seen to date. It works well with Stat, and I highly suggest a healing shield in this fight since even the best shields can not defy the inevitable quick kills Craw and his worms can deal.

660 Heavy Gunner Mod. This is the absolute baddest ass heavy gunner mod I've seen to date. +80% mag size, +3 impact, +3 overload, +4 metal storm, +42% weapon damage. YES 42% WEAPON DMG boost. This turns ANY gun into an uber one.... and contrary to what Marcus says you'll need less bullets, you won't need to be a better shot.

The Strategy

1. Take out his back! A lot of people seem to want to do this last, but I prefer it first and foremost just to get it out of the way. The video example I'm providing shows a very early opportunity to take it out, by throwing your turret right out of the elevator, heading right to the rock column and waiting for the opportunity to snipe it.

I'll note that this doesn't ALWAYS happen, it can be difficult to recreate, and you might have to contend with worms hacking at you. But it can happen regularly enough to give it a shot.

If this doesn't work out, you can always save his back for when you have a later opportunity, or try to lure him around the u-shaped columns.

2. KILL ANYTHING THAT'S NOT PURPLE. In a solo fight, there are no more than 3 worms out at a time. The green worms and craw maggots can be the most irritating little bastards, since they can gang bang you rather quickly, whereas the armored worms are slow and cumbersome. Leaving just the armored ones will give you an opportunity to throw your turret and maintain distance from both Craw and his buddies by simply running.

This strategy works well with stat, as it will keep your HP up for the rest of the battle. Also the Armored worms are good second wind opportunities as they don't jump around or dive like the green worms or the maggots.

3. Be aware of Craw, his worms, and anticipate the inevitable. You'll want to know where all enemies are on the field at all times. If you see a green worm out of the corner of your eye, equip your hellfire and blast it. Same with the maggots. Take these out ASAP. Also be mindful of the neccesity for second wind opportunites, and having the right gun out at any given moment is imperative.

4. Draw him in big circles around the map with a combination of throwing your turret to lead him to a spot, then RUN. Counterclockwise large circles around the field seem to work best for me. Fire at him only when you can maintain enough space to leave yourself a getaway route if he or the worms start to get too close. When you see the end of the battle in sight with his HP nearly depleted is when you can start to close in and tighten your aim with the Anarchy.

5. Thow your turret often. This is an opportunity to distract Craw and his (god I hate using this term) minions, and keep them in one place while you can have some time to think, regen health or shields, get away, or do a ton of damage to him.

Note: When you throw your turret make sure you throw it AT Craw or his worms, as throwing it in front of you while you're running won't give your turret the line of sight it needs to start firing.

What If's?

I'll let the readers of this thread come up with 'What If' scenarios in order to cater to specific examples for what to do in certain conditions. I'll start the first one. I can't account for everything off the bat, so I'll maintain the thread going forward with these scenarios if it's not in the guide.

Q. WHAT IF CRAW SPITS AT ME?
    A. This may be the most counter intuitive move EVER, but if Craw spits at you, CHARGE him and his spit gobules. There is a chance that you may be able to dodge most of his spit balls if you charge. There is evidence of this in my guide video at around 6 minutes of me successfuly avoiding death by spit.

Also I suggest noting any particular worms that may be alive while he is spitting, equipping the appropriate gun to take them out, and charging those so you are close to them for a second wind opportunity.

Q. What if the worms start spitting at me?
    A. The most effective thing to do is JUMP TO THE SIDE. This will most likely avoid multiple hits, and most often can avoid it altogether. A good thing to do while running away is to take a second to turn around to see what the worms are doing. If you see them start to spit, start jumping.

The Video Guide:

Example 1.

This is NOT the slickest Craw kill I've performed, but I chose this as an example of what to do in WORST CASE SCENARIOS. It contains plenty of second winds, and is more likely what is to happen to someone who is just starting to try to take out Craw-daddy legitimately. As time permits, I'll post more efficient kills, but this made more sense as a starter video.

This video stresses the importance of pacing the batt;e, as well as having a good reaction time for anything and everything that can possibly go wrong in a Craw fight. Craw and his little irritating bastard buddies turn out to be a bit more predictable than you might think, and if you can anticipate what's going to happen before they can get the best of you, you'll have the upper hand.

Without further ado, here is Craw-daddy. AKA ONE DEAD MOTHER #@$%^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TPoy_tfojE

Example 2.

A more efficient kill under better circumstances worm-wise. Still using the main strategy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN7zlwNKAmI    

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.