Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bravely Default

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Dec 05, 2013

An enhanced version of Bravely Default: Flying Fairy. This edition was localized and released internationally, as opposed to the original Flying Fairy.

Is the game for JRPG-beginners.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Wuddel

I just recently got my 3DS. I never played a JRPG. Is this game for me? (I usually like heavily mechanics focused games.)

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Fredchuckdave

This is like Final Fantasy V so grinding is basically everything; it's not remarkably challenging if you grind a ton and it's probably pretty tough if you don't.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It has randomly triggered encounters. You want to stay away.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

This game is trying to tickle peoples nostalgia for older JRPG's so I'm not sure it would work as well for someone who hasn't played them before. You'll probably still enjoy it, but I don't think its a good first JRPG. Play Chrono Trigger.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Zeik

I see no reason this game would be unsuitable for a beginner. You can adjust the difficulty and encounter rate whenever you want. You can can even turn off encounters completely.

If you like mechanic heavy games there's nothing about this game's mechanics that should scare you away. It honestly boggles my mind that people are trying to suggest otherwise.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

My hard answer would be no. But there is no real reason that a beginner could not enjoy this game. The game can be a little tough but grinding will always be the answer. Also don't be afraid to try new classes and go all out in some battles.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

It's highly customisable as far as difficulty that anyone should be able to play it and have a good time. Depends if you are looking for good mechanics or a good story, if it's the former it's a fine introduction.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Justin258

@hunter5024 said:

This game is trying to tickle peoples nostalgia for older JRPG's so I'm not sure it would work as well for someone who hasn't played them before. You'll probably still enjoy it, but I don't think its a good first JRPG. Play Chrono Trigger.

Chrono Trigger was the first JRPG I finished (unless Kingdom Hearts counts, but KH isn't turn-based and not as good). And Chrono Trigger pretty much turned me onto the entire genre. If you want to step in somewhere, that's the place to step in. It doesn't even have the random encounters that @egg hates so much.

But Bravely Default seems all right. There's a pretty hefty demo available if you want to try it out.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c26fd6917af0
    deactivated-5c26fd6917af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't see why it wouldn't be. Unless menus and buttons scare you or you're looking for absolute entry level.

The game explains its combat mechanics fine enough that anyone should be capable of understanding what everything means. It has adjustable difficulty and encounter rates. It also has a fairly high amount of dialogue and storytelling, and the story itself is of the your mileage may vary sort.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.