And I thought Jeff's review was harsh...

#1 Edited by SuperSambo (3018 posts) -

I could write an endless barrage of hate and disgust, but I shall resist.

I enjoyed The Outfit, Too Human and many other games which have numerous problems while playing in co op, but this is un-saveable.

When the act of shooting is lackluster (that is generous), when the game makes you question your vision due to the graphics and when three people are in pain from laughing at the game, you know there is something wrong.

I was still hopeful after reading reviews due to loving Shadowrun and that game had the same mixed reception. Do not make the same mistake.

 At 1200 MS points it would be underwhelming. At £40 it is a disgrace.

#2 Posted by Afroman269 (7440 posts) -

I want you to write an endless barrage of hate and disgust.

#3 Posted by Scarz09 (173 posts) -

I was going to get it, but now I'm not going to bother.
#4 Posted by zudthespud (3327 posts) -

I might get it in a steam sale if it's under £10 and if my friends are still playing it.

#5 Posted by SteamPunkJin (1283 posts) -

I had my own opinions then Jeff said something and I decided to go with that.

#6 Posted by SuperSambo (3018 posts) -
@SteamPunkJin said:
" I had my own opinions then Jeff said something and I decided to go with that. "
I had my own opinions, Jeff said something and I dismissed it and now I realise that he was holding back.
#7 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13807 posts) -
@SuperSambo said:
" I could write an endless barrage of hate and disgust, but I shall resist. I enjoyed The Outfit, Too Human and many other games which have numerous problems while playing in co op, but this is un-saveable.When the act of shooting is lackluster (that is generous), when the game makes you question your vision due to the graphics and when three people are in pain from laughing at the game, you know there is something wrong.I was still hopeful after reading reviews due to loving Shadowrun and that game had the same mixed reception. Do not make the same mistake. At 1200 MS points it would be underwhelming. At £40 it is a disgrace. "
Have you played the game? The shooting is fine for me and the game looks fine. Only two reviews of the game have been bad. One of the GB the other I can not recall. I enjoy the game.
#8 Posted by SuperSambo (3018 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @SuperSambo said:
" I could write an endless barrage of hate and disgust, but I shall resist. I enjoyed The Outfit, Too Human and many other games which have numerous problems while playing in co op, but this is un-saveable.When the act of shooting is lackluster (that is generous), when the game makes you question your vision due to the graphics and when three people are in pain from laughing at the game, you know there is something wrong.I was still hopeful after reading reviews due to loving Shadowrun and that game had the same mixed reception. Do not make the same mistake. At 1200 MS points it would be underwhelming. At £40 it is a disgrace. "
Have you played the game? The shooting is fine for me and the game looks fine. Only two reviews of the game have been bad. One of the GB the other I can not recall. I enjoy the game. "
Yes I have played the game.

I do not see how anyone could enjoy the action in the game, and I thought that it looked ok to begin, but when I aimed at an enemy and he was a fuzz it started dawning on me how rough this game actually looks. There are many more than two bad reviews, but it also amazes me how many have been positive.
#9 Posted by Danbo (199 posts) -

Sambo is spot on, this game is a disgrace. Jeff was been generous when he gave this game 2 stars, I can't even understand how any people are saying they enjoy the game. I've already put my copy up on ebay to try and make at least some of the money I've wasted back. I absolutely loved Shadowrun and was sure I was gonna love this game too, please don't make the same mistake - this game has nothing on Shadowrun or TF2. While I was playing this game I was just thinking of all the better stuff I could be playing instead.


If I'm coming across as a jackass believe me, I don't normally post anything as trashy as this about any game/subject, the game is just  so pathetic I need to make sure people don't buy it.

tl;dr   DON'T BUY THIS GAME UNTIL IT IS £5 OR LESS
#10 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13807 posts) -
@SuperSambo said:

" @The_Laughing_Man said:

" @SuperSambo said:
" I could write an endless barrage of hate and disgust, but I shall resist. I enjoyed The Outfit, Too Human and many other games which have numerous problems while playing in co op, but this is un-saveable.When the act of shooting is lackluster (that is generous), when the game makes you question your vision due to the graphics and when three people are in pain from laughing at the game, you know there is something wrong.I was still hopeful after reading reviews due to loving Shadowrun and that game had the same mixed reception. Do not make the same mistake. At 1200 MS points it would be underwhelming. At £40 it is a disgrace. "
Have you played the game? The shooting is fine for me and the game looks fine. Only two reviews of the game have been bad. One of the GB the other I can not recall. I enjoy the game. "
Yes I have played the game. I do not see how anyone could enjoy the action in the game, and I thought that it looked ok to begin, but when I aimed at an enemy and he was a fuzz it started dawning on me how rough this game actually looks. There are many more than two bad reviews, but it also amazes me how many have been positive. "
I never saw this issue. Are you sure its not like your TV or 360? Nothing is fuzzy for my game. And Ive been play for 25 hours. 

I enjoy the game. I do not really care what Jeff said in the review. I enjoy playing it. 
#11 Posted by SuperSambo (3018 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @SuperSambo said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
" @SuperSambo said:
" I could write an endless barrage of hate and disgust, but I shall resist. I enjoyed The Outfit, Too Human and many other games which have numerous problems while playing in co op, but this is un-saveable.When the act of shooting is lackluster (that is generous), when the game makes you question your vision due to the graphics and when three people are in pain from laughing at the game, you know there is something wrong.I was still hopeful after reading reviews due to loving Shadowrun and that game had the same mixed reception. Do not make the same mistake. At 1200 MS points it would be underwhelming. At £40 it is a disgrace. "
Have you played the game? The shooting is fine for me and the game looks fine. Only two reviews of the game have been bad. One of the GB the other I can not recall. I enjoy the game. "
Yes I have played the game. I do not see how anyone could enjoy the action in the game, and I thought that it looked ok to begin, but when I aimed at an enemy and he was a fuzz it started dawning on me how rough this game actually looks. There are many more than two bad reviews, but it also amazes me how many have been positive. "
I never saw this issue. Are you sure its not like your TV or 360? Nothing is fuzzy for my game. And Ive been play for 25 hours.  "
It isnt my TV or 360. It has been mentioned numerous times that the AA in the game is pretty much non existent, so I really do not know how you haven't seen it yet. (I assume it is to do with that anyway)
#12 Posted by imsh_pl (3474 posts) -
@Afroman269 said:
" I want you to write an endless barrage of hate and disgust. "
#13 Posted by bartok (2640 posts) -

Maybe I am stirring up shit which I honestly don't mean to but it seems like games with heavy ad presence or distributed by publishers that also release huge games that video game media would love exclusives (Bethesda so in this case Elderscrolls, Id's next game, or Fallout)  of tend to get no less then an "8" from most reviewers if they aren't good.  Granted I haven't played Brink and probably won't since that genre is not my cup of tea but based on the Quicklook and Jeff's review it does not seem very good. 

I am sure this game will find its audience after all my friend still plays Shadowrun which still has an active community.

#14 Posted by BraveToaster (12636 posts) -

You enjoyed Too Human? 

#15 Posted by scarace360 (4813 posts) -

ya the game is fine and who is playing single player when the whole game is based around multiplayer

#16 Posted by SuperSambo (3018 posts) -
@Axxol said:
" You enjoyed Too Human?  "
I enjoyed Too Human.

@scarace360 said:
" ya the game is fine and who is playing single player when the whole game is based around multiplayer "
I played the campaign single player and multi-player, I played the multi-player on my own and with friends and I played the challenge modes.
#17 Posted by scarace360 (4813 posts) -
@SuperSambo said:
" @Axxol said:
" You enjoyed Too Human?  "
I enjoyed Too Human.

@scarace360 said:
" ya the game is fine and who is playing single player when the whole game is based around multiplayer "
I played the campaign single player and multi-player, I played the multi-player on my own and with friends and I played the challenge modes. "
Why are you playing it alone
#18 Posted by ProfessorEss (7674 posts) -
@scarace360 said:
" ya the game is fine and who is playing single player when the whole game is based around multiplayer "
I'm playing single player.

I pretty much only rented it because I love the look of the characters and had to see them for myself on my screen - totally delivers in that respect. I'm not a big fan of online shooters so that automatically hurts my opinion of it but overall it's alright.

Reminds me a lot of Shadowrun as far as it's limited content is concerned but just like Shadowrun a good team/community could do a lot to save this game.
#19 Posted by SuperSambo (3018 posts) -
@scarace360 said:
" @SuperSambo said:
" @Axxol said:
" You enjoyed Too Human?  "
I enjoyed Too Human.

@scarace360 said:
" ya the game is fine and who is playing single player when the whole game is based around multiplayer "
I played the campaign single player and multi-player, I played the multi-player on my own and with friends and I played the challenge modes. "
Why are you playing it alone "
I played it on my own and with a friend. I played it on my own because my friend had had enough.
#20 Posted by scarace360 (4813 posts) -
@ProfessorEss said:
" @scarace360 said:
" ya the game is fine and who is playing single player when the whole game is based around multiplayer "
I'm playing single player.I pretty much only rented it because I love the look of the characters and had to see them for myself on my screen - totally delivers in that respect. I'm not a big fan of online shooters so that automatically hurts my opinion of it but overall it's alright.Reminds me a lot of Shadowrun as far as it's limited content is concerned but just like Shadowrun a good team/community could do a lot to save this game. "
I kinda think your crazy cause your playing a game built around multi player in single player.
#21 Posted by scarace360 (4813 posts) -
@SuperSambo said:
" @scarace360 said:
" @SuperSambo said:
" @Axxol said:
" You enjoyed Too Human?  "
I enjoyed Too Human.

@scarace360 said:
" ya the game is fine and who is playing single player when the whole game is based around multiplayer "
I played the campaign single player and multi-player, I played the multi-player on my own and with friends and I played the challenge modes. "
Why are you playing it alone "
I played it on my own and with a friend. I played it on my own because my friend had had enough. "
ok
#22 Posted by Blommer4 (223 posts) -
@scarace360 said:
" @ProfessorEss said:
" @scarace360 said:
" ya the game is fine and who is playing single player when the whole game is based around multiplayer "
I'm playing single player.I pretty much only rented it because I love the look of the characters and had to see them for myself on my screen - totally delivers in that respect. I'm not a big fan of online shooters so that automatically hurts my opinion of it but overall it's alright.Reminds me a lot of Shadowrun as far as it's limited content is concerned but just like Shadowrun a good team/community could do a lot to save this game. "
I kinda think your crazy cause your playing a game built around multi player in single player. "
I kinda think YOU'RE crazy because you don't get that he tried both SP and MP.
#23 Posted by Sanj (2676 posts) -

Guys I also have some harsh words for this game. Be warned though, I can get pretty mean. Ready? Ok...

This game is poo poo.    

#24 Posted by scarace360 (4813 posts) -
@Blommer4 said:
" @scarace360 said:
" @ProfessorEss said:
" @scarace360 said:
" ya the game is fine and who is playing single player when the whole game is based around multiplayer "
I'm playing single player.I pretty much only rented it because I love the look of the characters and had to see them for myself on my screen - totally delivers in that respect. I'm not a big fan of online shooters so that automatically hurts my opinion of it but overall it's alright.Reminds me a lot of Shadowrun as far as it's limited content is concerned but just like Shadowrun a good team/community could do a lot to save this game. "
I kinda think your crazy cause your playing a game built around multi player in single player. "
I kinda think YOU'RE crazy because you don't get that he tried both SP and MP. "
THIS IS MADNESS!
#25 Posted by ProfessorEss (7674 posts) -
@scarace360: You're right but I don't really have long uninterrupted game time very often and I really wanted to see this game for myself. Hopefully I'll have some time before the end of the week.

Playing it alone reminds me a lot of Shadowrun which I did play and enjoy quite a bit online.
#26 Posted by Blommer4 (223 posts) -
@scarace360 said:
" @Blommer4 said:
" @scarace360 said:
" @ProfessorEss said:
" @scarace360 said:
" ya the game is fine and who is playing single player when the whole game is based around multiplayer "
I'm playing single player.I pretty much only rented it because I love the look of the characters and had to see them for myself on my screen - totally delivers in that respect. I'm not a big fan of online shooters so that automatically hurts my opinion of it but overall it's alright.Reminds me a lot of Shadowrun as far as it's limited content is concerned but just like Shadowrun a good team/community could do a lot to save this game. "
I kinda think your crazy cause your playing a game built around multi player in single player. "
I kinda think YOU'RE crazy because you don't get that he tried both SP and MP. "
THIS IS MADNESS! "
THIS... IS... GIANTBOOOOOMB!
#27 Posted by Yanngc33 (4551 posts) -
@SuperSambo: You didn't even point out the worst part: try playing the game on hard against bots, no 100 point achievements can save this
#28 Posted by hurrikenux (50 posts) -
@SuperSambo said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
" @SuperSambo said:
" I could write an endless barrage of hate and disgust, but I shall resist. I enjoyed The Outfit, Too Human and many other games which have numerous problems while playing in co op, but this is un-saveable.When the act of shooting is lackluster (that is generous), when the game makes you question your vision due to the graphics and when three people are in pain from laughing at the game, you know there is something wrong.I was still hopeful after reading reviews due to loving Shadowrun and that game had the same mixed reception. Do not make the same mistake. At 1200 MS points it would be underwhelming. At £40 it is a disgrace. "
Have you played the game? The shooting is fine for me and the game looks fine. Only two reviews of the game have been bad. One of the GB the other I can not recall. I enjoy the game. "
Yes I have played the game. I do not see how anyone could enjoy the action in the game, and I thought that it looked ok to begin, but when I aimed at an enemy and he was a fuzz it started dawning on me how rough this game actually looks. There are many more than two bad reviews, but it also amazes me how many have been positive. "
I like it, I also don't like consoles.  I don't see why anyone would want to knowingly give Microsoft more money and put something made by them in their house.

See, that is an opinionated statement and applies only to me.  You should learn how that works, otherwise it comes off as trolling.

I like the game and I play it on PC, it appears it does not play very well on the XBox360.  Truth be told, I do not see how it would have.  Games like Quake 3 and UT would never have made it on consoles, hell the Quake 3 on Dreamcast was terrible and I couldn't stand using the controller for it.  Tactical shooters are better for consoles because less movement is used to seek out targets.  Granted people do "run'n'gun" but it is certainly not the same in CoD as it was in the Quake series.
#29 Posted by Kartana (223 posts) -
#30 Posted by scarace360 (4813 posts) -
@Blommer4 said:
" @scarace360 said:
" @Blommer4 said:
" @scarace360 said:
" @ProfessorEss said:
" @scarace360 said:
" ya the game is fine and who is playing single player when the whole game is based around multiplayer "
I'm playing single player.I pretty much only rented it because I love the look of the characters and had to see them for myself on my screen - totally delivers in that respect. I'm not a big fan of online shooters so that automatically hurts my opinion of it but overall it's alright.Reminds me a lot of Shadowrun as far as it's limited content is concerned but just like Shadowrun a good team/community could do a lot to save this game. "
I kinda think your crazy cause your playing a game built around multi player in single player. "
I kinda think YOU'RE crazy because you don't get that he tried both SP and MP. "
THIS IS MADNESS! "
THIS... IS... GIANTBOOOOOMB! "
Put it on a shirt.
#31 Posted by scarace360 (4813 posts) -
@ProfessorEss said:
" @scarace360 said:
" ya the game is fine and who is playing single player when the whole game is based around multiplayer "
I'm playing single player.I pretty much only rented it because I love the look of the characters and had to see them for myself on my screen - totally delivers in that respect. I'm not a big fan of online shooters so that automatically hurts my opinion of it but overall it's alright.Reminds me a lot of Shadowrun as far as it's limited content is concerned but just like Shadowrun a good team/community could do a lot to save this game. "
Playing it with people who know what there doing makes the game way funner.
#32 Posted by SomeJerk (3606 posts) -

In this storm of Brink reviews being negative I would like to see reviews of the PC version, because  as long as you've got working drivers for your AMD/ATI graphics or an Nvidia card it's clear you're in for a great time with no netcode complaints because the PC has dedicated servers (despite paying less for the game and everything, amazing innit?). ArsTechnica turned around from giving a "We won't review this until a patch fixes all this seriously messed up stuff" verdict to the 360 version to getting the PC one and coming out with that it is actually a great amount of fun.

More PC reviews!

#33 Posted by phish09 (1112 posts) -
@Axxol said:
" You enjoyed Too Human?  "
Too human is actually a pretty above average action co-op game, but it is only above average because there aren't many games like it.  As a solo experience it has a lot of faults, but even still it is at least playable on your own, which is more than what I've read about Brink.
#34 Posted by Subjugation (4782 posts) -
@SuperSambo: Please grace us with your most vitriolic exposition you can muster. There is no point in trying to be nice about it. 
#35 Posted by HandsomeDead (11854 posts) -

Wait a second; there's people out there who know what Brink is and are still paying full price for it? Mein Gott, that's fucking ridiculous. Almost the exact same game mode that Brink entirely is is featured in nearly every FPS from TimeSplitters 2 to onwards, and possibly before.

#36 Posted by BraveToaster (12636 posts) -
@phish09 said:
" @Axxol said:
" You enjoyed Too Human?  "
Too human is actually a pretty above average action co-op game, but it is only above average because there aren't many games like it.  As a solo experience it has a lot of faults, but even still it is at least playable on your own, which is more than what I've read about Brink. "
You're right,Too Human is playable, but I didn't enjoy it.
#37 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7595 posts) -
@Axxol said:
" You enjoyed Too Human?  "
I think a lot of people enjoyed Too Human, check out the announcement for plan of a TH2.
The game was definitely flawed but it wasn't as horrible as a lot of the reviews made out.

Brink unfortunately is, there's just nothing unique or special about it to make it worth while, in my opinion.  It's just another multiplayer shooter.
#38 Posted by CosmicQueso (579 posts) -
@SuperSambo said:
" @Axxol said:
" You enjoyed Too Human?  "
I enjoyed Too Human.
So... opinion negated.
#39 Posted by BraveToaster (12636 posts) -
@WinterSnowblind said:
" @Axxol said:
" You enjoyed Too Human?  "
I think a lot of people enjoyed Too Human, check out the announcement for plan of a TH2.
The game was definitely flawed but it wasn't as horrible as a lot of the reviews made out.

Brink unfortunately is, there's just nothing unique or special about it to make it worth while, in my opinion.  It's just another multiplayer shooter.
"
I'm not disagreeing that Brink is horrible, I just didn't enjoy Too Human. 
#40 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6116 posts) -
@SuperSambo:
Oh ye of little faith...in Jeff. 
#41 Posted by RsistncE (4499 posts) -
@Afroman269 said:
" I want you to write an endless barrage of hate and disgust. "
#42 Posted by Hitchenson (4708 posts) -

It's going great on PC.

#43 Posted by huntad (2076 posts) -

I like Two Worlds 1. What? Nobody? Okay, I admit that I liked it because I never owned it (Just played it for a day) and the various flaws made me laugh harder than ever. I doubt Brink will do that, right?

#44 Posted by KarlPilkington (2768 posts) -
@huntad said:
" I like Two Worlds 1. What? Nobody? Okay, I admit that I liked it because I never owned it (Just played it for a day) and the various flaws made me laugh harder than ever. I doubt Brink will do that, right? "
I liked Two Worlds 1. 

Completed that bitch twice.
I'm serious.
#45 Posted by huntad (2076 posts) -
@Chabbs0: Wow. That's all I can say about that.
#46 Posted by RobertOrri (1177 posts) -

I like Two Worlds because of thesetwo videos. I have never played it, but it sure as hell looks like a mess.


As for Brink, I really think it needed a few more months in the oven.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.