Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bully: Scholarship Edition

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Mar 04, 2008

'Bully: Scholarship Edition' takes place at the fictional New England boarding school Bullworth Academy, and tells the story of mischievous 15-year-old Jimmy Hopkins as he goes through the hilarity and awkwardness of adolescence. Beat the jocks at dodge ball, play pranks on the preppies, save the nerds, kiss the girl.

Is the PC version of Bully worth it?

Stete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Stete

Fellow bombardiers, the PC version of Bully has gone on sale for the low low price of 2 and a half squid. However when the game was released everybody pretty much said that this was a prime example of a shoddy port. Does anybody know if they released any patches which fixed its launch issues?

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#2  Edited By alistercat

Rockstar ports will never be great but it is fine. I wouldn't rush though, it'll be on sale at Christmas. Probably cheaper. I picked it up cheaper than that last christmas.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By ShaggE

I never had any real issues with it. That means little, of course, but yeah.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By emem

@AlisterCat: It costs almost nothing right now ($3.74/€2.50/£2.49), I don't see a reason to wait.

Avatar image for deathstriker666
    deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By deathstriker666

If you can, play it with a controller. Two taps can make Jimmy rotate 180° (almost as though it was designed for an analog stick) while it takes a couple seconds of holding down a key to make Jimmy run at full speed. Anything that requires you to throw/shoot, whether it be a part of a mission or in combat, is heavily auto-aimed. Never crashed on me or anything like that. For a port, the game is fine.

As for the story, it's one Rockstar's worst. The ending is completely predictable and the characters are nothing but generic stereotypes. The game itself is still great. So many awesome things you can do that you simply couldn't do in any GTA game. Also for as much controversy as the game itself got, no one ever dies in the game. Beat up a kid, they only get knocked out. Running over someone with a bike only stuns them and they get right back up to chase you. Music is fantastic too.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Meltac

I found it pretty terrible, with the FPS locked at 30, to be the most significant problem.

TehBuLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TehBuLL

Lots of glitches and bugs and horrible interface for the PC. Good luck.

Jozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jozo

I thought the majority of the bugs were patched, not sure though.

I'm pretty certain there is a patch to fix the 30 fps cap though.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By AhmadMetallic

I bought it earlier this year and really liked it on PC. The controls are very console-y and need some getting used to, but once you do, the game is really fun. Looks great, runs fine and ofcourse, being a GTA-esque game, it's fun as fuck. 

I say go for it, especially that it's so cheap.

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By YoungFrey

Having never played Bully on any platform, yes, it is worth it. What isn't worth $2.50? That is 22 minutes of a summer blockbuster, 2 sodas at my vending machine, 1/2 of my daily commute, 1/3 of a book. From what I hear about Bully, it's worth $2.50 just to see if it's worth spending $20 for it on a console.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Ghostiet

Yes, just get a 360 controller or install x360ce, because the keyboard mapping is atrocious and you'll eat your hands trying to set-up an older gamepad properly.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.