Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Burnout Paradise

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Jan 22, 2008

Burnout Paradise turns the Burnout series on its head by moving from closed set tracks to an open world full of events to experience both alone and in a group online.

All Boards for This Game Are Dead, But...

Mike_Sandbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mike_Sandbag

This game just got discounted on PSN. It's now $14.99 and that seems like a good deal...

BUT

That doesn't include the huge ton of DLC. You can buy the DLC bundle for $19.99 or the Game + DLC for $29.99.

What are people's thoughts on this? I wish if they had discounted the full game, they could have just discounted the bundle too, making it $19.99 or $24.99 or something, but alas...

Just looking for some opinions. After hearing this game praised so highly by the GiantBomb crew, I'm considering picking it up sometime. Thanks!

BionicRadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By BionicRadd

Get The Ultimate Box off Steam for 20. Game plus all DLC.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SexyToad

Steam it is!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Justin258

I would like it a whole lot more if it gave a hopelessly direction-challenged person like myself better directions. I understand the thinking - letting people choose their own paths around the map - but giving a basic route and allowing players to deviate from that route are not mutually exclusive ideas.

Yes, the game does click with a turn signal and tell you which road to turn on at the top, but that's not immediate enough. That's outside where I'm focusing, and in a game that moves as fast as this one, where you're likely to crash at any turn and angsty emo-rock (or Avril Lavigne) is blaring in your ear, losing focus for even a third of a second is enough to guarantee a bad wreck and maybe a lost race.

I'm not going to say it's a bad game, but I feel like that one flaw is crippling to it. Obviously I'm in the minority here but I stopped playing it because I just couldn't react fast enough; this is coming from someone who is not at all new to Burnout or even games that ask you to react quickly and accurately. I crashed every other turn and could not make myself have fun with it when it was doing that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f39c75856922
    deactivated-5f39c75856922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Burnout Paradise is awesome. It is probably one of my favorite games of all time.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@CosmicBatman: +1

Mike_Sandbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mike_Sandbag

Wow! I wasn't sure anyone would see this, but thank you for the comments! :) Sadly Steam's not really an option for me. My laptop isn't really suited for gaming, so I pretty much do most of my gaming on the PS3. Is it worth the extra 15 bucks for the Complete Package? (30 bucks) Or is the main game plenty? (15 bucks)

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Hizang

Burnout Paradise is great, I picked it up last year and still occasionally play it, there are a bunch of people online too.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

You dont really need DLC I played 120 hours before DLC and I went through that in a matter of hours, the island is pretty cool. I'd say just get it used of ebay for like 10 bucks.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By tim_the_corsair
    @believer258

I would like it a whole lot more if it gave a hopelessly direction-challenged person like myself better directions. I understand the thinking - letting people choose their own paths around the map - but giving a basic route and allowing players to deviate from that route are not mutually exclusive ideas.

Yes, the game does click with a turn signal and tell you which road to turn on at the top, but that's not immediate enough. That's outside where I'm focusing, and in a game that moves as fast as this one, where you're likely to crash at any turn and angsty emo-rock (or Avril Lavigne) is blaring in your ear, losing focus for even a third of a second is enough to guarantee a bad wreck and maybe a lost race.

I'm not going to say it's a bad game, but I feel like that one flaw is crippling to it. Obviously I'm in the minority here but I stopped playing it because I just couldn't react fast enough; this is coming from someone who is not at all new to Burnout or even games that ask you to react quickly and accurately. I crashed every other turn and could not make myself have fun with it when it was doing that.

I agree completely - I loved everything about that game except the races.

I feel Revenge and Takedown were a lot more fun in that regard.

Anyway, I think the vanilla game has plenty of content that will keep you going for ages; you can always upgrade at a later date, and the price might be reduced by then.
    xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

My friend who's huge into racing games says it's the greatest arcade racer ever made.

It's not my thing though.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By thebunnyhunter

: For 15 bucks you'll get great mileage for your dollar, vanilla Burnout is plenty and all you'll miss out on is Big Surf Island; but you could always download it later if you still crave more Burnout

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By rachelepithet

Ultimate Box is usually $5 on steam, or $10-15 at retail.

circlenine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By circlenine

Ultimate Box is $20 on steam unless you catch it on a holiday sale or daily deal. And you miss out on like 3 of the expansion car sets and Big Surf because they never released Big Surf for PC and they closed the DLC PC store like 2 years ago and they won't just sell it through steam because EA so you miss out on the other car packs. Still worth it for that $20 if you can't find it on sale.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By NickL

@believer258 said:

Burnout Paradise + the direction giving in Saints Row 3 is a game I want right now!

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By awesomeusername

My favorite arcade racing game ever. It's fantastic and was my first platinum trophy. I didn't get the DLC but the game is great fun. My files deleted a couple times (because my PS3's always fucked up) so I've played through it like 3-4 times and it's always as fun. There's also still people playing the multiplayer so if you're into arcade racers, get it.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By Justin258

@NickL said:

@believer258 said:

Burnout Paradise + the direction giving in Saints Row 3 is a game I want right now!

I don't have a great big fondness for either of those games so... no. SR3 isn't really that funny anyway - I laughed some but I can't think of a single joke or gag that really stood out to me. Just some chuckles here and there.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.