Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops II

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 13, 2012

The Black Ops storyline continues, switching the past Cold War from the game's predecessor to future 2025, as a new Cold War between U.S.A. and China flares up due to the actions of one vengeful drug-runner.

Have they ruined One in the Chamber?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By FluxWaveZ

One in the Chamber was one of my favorite game modes in the original Black Ops. It was designed to be tense and make players pace themselves, having to be accurate with their shots. Not only that, but there was also the fact that if you lost early on during a game, you'd lose whatever amount of points you wagered, which added to the tension.

But having just played One in the Chamber in BO2, it seemed that the UAV was on all the time, which seems to be what happens in all of the old Wager Match modes now. That plus the efficiency of the combat knife in this game makes it so that players are just mindlessly running all over the place in the direction of the red dots on their radar. In the original Black Ops, the UAV only turned on when there were two players left, which I think was the best way to do things.

To be fair, I only played for about 10 seconds before quitting in disgust, but have they actually removed what made One in the Chamber fun or am I missing something?

overnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By overnow

Personally I find it better than ever. The UAV being on all the time is my favourite part. Also to me the knife seems much less effective in this game. Also this is my favourite feeling gun used for One in the Chamber yet. But it should be noted that I really did not care for One in the Chamber before.

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Genkkaku

I totally agree.. i remember how much fun that and gun game were, and as soon as I jumped in and saw the always on UAV it just ruin's it for me.. They were both as you said tense, precise game modes and it's great to see them back in public matchmaking but that damn UAV

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By NekuSakuraba

I haven't got black ops 2 but I really enjoyed one in the chamber in the first game, shame to see that they might have ruined it.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Justin258

They removed the CoD points system, something I liked in the original BlOps but everyone else seemed to think was a bad idea. A lot of the Wager match tensions came from losing CoD points.

xxizzypop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6  Edited By xxizzypop

I never found the previous matches tense, I found them frustrating, as all high level matches came down to who could camp well. With this, it's just on all the time, and I'm a much bigger fan of that than anything.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#7  Edited By gla55jAw

I think it's an interesting take to have the UAV on all the time. People can't just camp for the entire match, you're never safe. Plus it keeps a game going faster, which is great, when you die early on.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I didn't think about the aspect of camping, which was indeed very prevalent in that particular Wager Match mode and could be frustrating. I'll give it another go and form a clearer opinion on it, I was just taken aback when I saw what they'd done to it.

I miss the point system associated with the Wager Matches, but I enjoy the modes themselves so I'm not that bummed about it.

CatsAkimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CatsAkimbo

I usually play the game mode with friends, and we never help each other out except for when one of us is out and we see someone camping. Then we'll call out their position, because that's some lame crap. UAV seems to help everyone look out for campers, so seems OK, and certainly makes the games go faster.

JordanK85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By JordanK85

I've also noticed that there's a couple seconds between the "sweeps" of the UAV radar. This allows for some strategy in the sense that you can decide to make a mad dash between sweeps and while the other person will likely know that you're near they won't know necessarily when you're going to attack. Plus having to keep an eye on the all the red dots at the beginning of the game makes it difficult to track people without also putting yourself in danger. My biggest problem with the mode is that it's subject to collusion between players but I guess the same could be said of all FFA modes in any game.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RE_Player1

The UAV being on all the time during the party modes really pissed me off. I'll probably never play Gun Game now.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kerse

I feel like the knife is worse in this game, something just feels off about it whenever I hit the button.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@kerse: I don't know. The combat knife, without holding a gun, has been really effective for me so far and I see plenty of people running around like that in FFA.

MiasmaFett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MiasmaFett

Has Its pros and cons, radar always on eliminates camping to a degree But as you said Removes some of the tense atmosphere. However with the cod point system removed in this game there is little point in having these modes so having them included in blops 2 is a bonus in my eyes!

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By imhungry

As long as I can still make a custom One in the Chamber with everyone using RPGs then they haven't ruined it.

Avatar image for deactivated-59694a80bc6d9
    deactivated-59694a80bc6d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

It's also more beneficial to run with your knife out now as Treyarch have adopted the Counter-Strike mantra; 'Everybody runs faster with a knife'. Probably one of the reasons why people are running around with sharp things...

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By napalm

@Humphreys said:

It's also more beneficial to run with your knife out now as Treyarch have adopted the Counter-Strike mantra; 'Everybody runs faster with a knife'. Probably one of the reasons why people are running around with sharp things...

I've adopted the code, "knife or die."

Avatar image for deactivated-59694a80bc6d9
    deactivated-59694a80bc6d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I've found myself using the knife to get to the enemies faster at the start of the round...I used to chuck grenades at the start but they've removed that.

Back on topic, always-on-UAV sucks and is idiotic, it does however, speed those matches up immensely.

SniperXan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SniperXan

@gla55jAw said:

I think it's an interesting take to have the UAV on all the time. People can't just camp for the entire match, you're never safe. Plus it keeps a game going faster, which is great, when you die early on.

Blommer4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Blommer4

I like the UAV, because in Blops I would get so frusterated when about half of the players just sat in a corner camping...

Ronald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ronald

The UAVs may have removed the campers, but they also removed the majority of the fun, which is in finding the other players and not knowing if someone is around the corner. Now, you know where everyone is at. And the problem is starting with Black Ops they removed most of the "least used" playlists, like Hardcore Domination, even though there were always thousands playing it, or I would suggest adding a hardcore party game mode.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.