Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 09, 2010

The seventh installment of the long-running action franchise, Call of Duty: Black Ops puts players into the early era of the Cold War (including the Vietnam War) as a member of the United States black operations unit known as the SOG.

Is Treyarch responsible?

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By l4wd0g

Call of Duty: Black Ops is being heavily exploited on PSN, It’s to the point of unplayable.  While the PS3 version of Black Ops has always had issues (parties staying together, levels not loading, etc). Treyarch was working on the issues.

Currently, gamers are trying to blame Treyarch for the exploits.  They are making statements describing the game as unfinished, buggy, and unplayable. The question is, is it Treyarch’s fault?   Did they know these exploits were in the game?  Are they only in the PS3/PC versions of the game?  Xbox Live is heavily policed by Stepto (Stephen Toulouse) and the Xbox Live Enforcers who ensure that people who exploit the system are banned. So, Is it Sony’s fault for not having a policing service on their system?  Or is it the hackers fault?

Leave your thought below.

Avatar image for glorious_leader
    glorious_leader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By glorious_leader

Blame Activision.  The devs most likely weren't given enough time to polish the game.  Such carelessness is quite typical of their(Activision) business model.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

As a PC player, I have to think its Activision's fault. They made so many grand promises to PC players and then proceeded to shit all over those customers so thoroughly that I would think it had to be a marketing decision by Activision.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By AhmadMetallic

my thoughts are that discussing anything CoD stopped being interesting back in 2009 

glitches? exploits ? bad community support ? hacks ? who cares.. we just go with it. we buy this game every year because we must, and we take Activision's dick in the ass with a smile on our faces.. go with it, bro. this franchise no longer matters or excites or interests anyone, it's just there.

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By X19

PS3 always gets shafted on ports. I think if you're gonna play COD always stick to the 360 version.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Oldirtybearon
    @l4wd0g: I feel that in an online multiplayer setting you can't account for every possible bug/glitch/exploit. The best you can do is find and remove the ones that crash game, brick your console, or otherwise do hilariously stupid things that destroy the game experience. When it comes to releasing these games into the wild of Xbox Live or the PS Network, all you can do is cross your fingers and hope that nobody finds something TOO horrible. From there I feel if you (the developer) work in conjunction with the "enforcers" to not only get a patch ready ASAP, but also ban the usurpers, you're doing all that is humanly possible. 

Glitches and exploits happen in every multiplayer game. You can have the best QA team and the best bug crunchers in the world, but something somewhere is going to slip by. The only reason there seems to be a shit-ton in games like BLOPS is because there are more than ten million people playing the game online, and with that kind of popularity comes the renown that often comes with it. 
    MayorFeedback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By MayorFeedback

Who knows, man. Hackers always seem to find a way. Blame them?

Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By killroycantkill

This is happening in MW2 as well, so I don't think it's their fault. I think because the PS3 got hacked or whatever people are going nuts.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By EuanDewar
    @glorious_leader said:
    "Blame Activision.  The devs most likely weren't given enough time to polish the game. "

I dont think Pre-Release polish is anything to do with it, them not giving Treyarch much resources post-release might be it. 
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MrKlorox
    @glorious_leader said:

" Blame Activision.  The devs most likely weren't given enough time to polish the game. "

This. I get annoyed when people blame the development studios for things that publishers didn't allow or forced into games. Even when it's developers like... ugh... Treyarch. ESPECIALLY when the problem was around before, in a game from a different studio.
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By JoelTGM

what's going on?  My friend owns the PS3 version and I've never seen a cheater in his games or heard him complain of one.  It's not uncommon to see cheaters in the PC version though.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Animasta
    @MrKlorox said:
    " @glorious_leader said:
    " Blame Activision.  The devs most likely weren't given enough time to polish the game. "
    This. I get annoyed when people blame the development studios for things that publishers didn't allow or forced into games. Even when it's developers like... ugh... Treyarch. "
    what's wrong with treyarch? besides their dumb logo
    Druminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Druminator

I play 3 or 4 hours a day. Where are these exploits you speak of?

glorious_leader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By glorious_leader

Their affiliation with Activision aside, in recent times they have largely coasted on Infinity Ward's success.  Their games feel like large budget expansion packs to the IW CoD that precedes their titles.  However, now that IW's staff has left IW and in effect Activision, we'll probably get a chance to see if Treyarch will sink or swim now that they can't follow in the wake of another studio's success.

Personally, I think that the Nazi Zombies content in WaW proved that they are quite competent as developers, and are willing to try unique things.  I kind of wish they would've abandoned ship and formed their own studio with EA, as IW did.

REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By REDRUN

Blame PSN admins for not policing the community, they should have the power to console ban hackers from the network. A model from the PC community, admins had the power to ID ban and IP ban cheaters, hackers and ass-hats.

It seems blame is the easy solution, but it still does not solve the problem. The admins should worry about creating a better online experience rather than looking for an excuse to not do their job.

glorious_leader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By glorious_leader
    @EuanDewar: It's probably both.  A rushed release would result in less debugging, thus increasing the chances of exploits and glitches being plentiful in the end product.  Activision's now probably cracking the whip at them on a new title, or some overpriced map packs, or most likely, both.  I doubt they would invest resources into something that doesn't offer short term profit, like fixing the problems with Black Op's online play.
    Turtlemayor333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Turtlemayor333

I don't see how it's just coincidence that this starts happening days after PS3 console hackers unlock the keys to the kingdom. Black Ops is the most popular online game right now and it gets the majority of the attention from these guys - not Treyarch's fault really. The interesting test will be if Killzone 3 has people running amok and gamers don't have a big bad Activision to heap the blame on.

Ulquiorra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ulquiorra

Check this out it's on the X360 I think     

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXgx3N_dFCs 

The COD community if it can even be called that, sucks.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jkz

I'd guess that it's more a result of the PS3 getting hacked than anything else.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I don't know about Blops, but I've been thinking for a while that they may have something to do with MW2 being so buggy. You know, to try and convince people to move on and play the next game. 

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MikkaQ
    @jukezypoo said:
    " I'd guess that it's more a result of the PS3 getting hacked than anything else. "
    Yeah that seems like the issue. I've heard MW2 has the same problem. 
    l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By l4wd0g
    @XII_Sniper said:
    " @jukezypoo said:
    " I'd guess that it's more a result of the PS3 getting hacked than anything else. "
    Yeah that seems like the issue. I've heard MW2 has the same problem.  "
    Yeah, It's pretty awful  on the PS3. Does the PS3 have some sort of enforcers like XBL to try and target those hackers?  They've ruined my multiplayer experience. I guess I'll just buy my multiplayer focused games on the 360 because Microsoft seems to give a damn.
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By iam3green

i think that it's both activiction / treyarch and sony for the problems. activion should fix everything that happened to the game. sony should start console banning people from playing. 

what hacks are you talking about? i watched my friend play black ops over the weekend.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By jakob187

I still don't have any problems with the PC version.  Guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25  Edited By carlthenimrod

Blame Activision. They're the ones that tell developers like Treyarch what to do. Most games will have some unforeseeable bugs and glitches no matter how many hours you spend testing. Activision doesn't support their games post release properly.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By benpack
    @KingWilly said:
    You can have the best QA team and the best bug crunchers in the world, but something somewhere is going to slip by. "
    Exactly.
    Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Example1013

This depends on what you're talking about. If you're talking about literal modded PS3 hack console shit, then you can blame two parties: Sony, and the asshats who released the security key. 

If you're talking about exploits (getting inside geometry and the like), you could blame Treyarch, but it's probably not really their fault. More likely, it's either Activision rushing the game, or everyone did a good job polishing QA, but people still managed to find a few bugs, and now everyone's doing them, and you can't really expect them to find everything. 

If you're talking about the fact that the gameplay is just fairly shoddy, laggy, and borderline glitchy, the blame is squarely on Treyarch. Modern Warfare 2 multiplayer mechanics ran excellently. Knifing was fine, you generally didn't die as long as you made it around the corner, and there weren't as many host drop issues. I'm thinking Treyarch basically tried to reinvent the wheel for some reason, and fucked it up.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By l4wd0g
    @example1013 said:
    " This depends on what you're talking about. If you're talking about literal modded PS3 hack console shit, then you can blame two parties: Sony, and the asshats who released the security key.  If you're talking about exploits (getting inside geometry and the like), you could blame Treyarch, but it's probably not really their fault. More likely, it's either Activision rushing the game, or everyone did a good job polishing QA, but people still managed to find a few bugs, and now everyone's doing them, and you can't really expect them to find everything.  If you're talking about the fact that the gameplay is just fairly shoddy, laggy, and borderline glitchy, the blame is squarely on Treyarch. Modern Warfare 2 multiplayer mechanics ran excellently. Knifing was fine, you generally didn't die as long as you made it around the corner, and there weren't as many host drop issues. I'm thinking Treyarch basically tried to reinvent the wheel for some reason, and fucked it up. "
    Treyarch seems to be at least some what compliant. The Hacked PS3 are my biggest issue as those who are hacking ruin the game for everyone else.  I put in Modern Warfare 2 back into the PS3 and it was even worse. Ugh... I wish PlayStation would do something about this. I know I have to pay Microsoft $60 a year to play on Live, but this doesn't happen there. They seem to give a damn about their online service. 
    fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#29  Edited By fox01313

Agreed with what others have put here, just because Treyarch worked on the game, doesn't mean they're responsible for all the issues on the PS3/PSN. Some of the blame probably rests with the parent companies (Activision & Sony) who might have been helpful with developing it for that console/online setup but also they are part of the issue of sending money & time for Treyarch to fix it promptly & effectively. I'm guessing that as Treyarch has been putting out games on the PS3 before they might have been aware of those issues but as being a tester myself, it all really depends on if they had the time & money to fix it as I'm sure that putting this game out on 3 platforms (well 4 if you count digital distribution on steam) not to mention getting it on other non-US countries so all of this probably crunched out a lot of time they might have wanted to fix it proper on that first week. As I'm guessing that the online part of this game is going to be strong for quite a while unless people are leaving to go back to MW2, you can probably go off to other games on the PS3 & come back to Blops when they've had time to fix it.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TwoOneFive

I blame Treyarch, and Activision. they made a mediocre game with well balanced changes made to the MP

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Example1013
    @fox01313: You can't go back to MW2 because it's hacked to all shit, and Activision has said that it's not their issue to deal with, since it's a console-level issue, not a game-level issue. So no, that's out of the question. CoD 4 is the same way. 

@l4wd0g: You've got to remember that, even with paid subscriptions, MW2 went through a similar free-for-all hack spree back a year ago for a decent amount of time, until Microsoft got on the ball and really started banning the shit out of people. Hell, there are still hacked lobbies on Xbox Live, but they're usually private and not nearly as common, because Microsoft now has a large team of people going through and banning hackers with extreme prejudice. 

Sony will get this under control, and then we can all go back to playing normally online. But it's not going to happen overnight, or even necessarily within the next week. So we're just going to have to tough it out for now. 

And while Treyarch has been vocal in saying "we're working on it" with the disconnection, party, and lag issues, it's been 3 months since the game's been out, and it's still only a little better than it was at launch. MW2 was left to the wolves after a few months, but pretty much every single issue in that game was a balance issue, outside of how the game itself ran and played (the rock exploit was an exception, but that didn't even show up until, what, June?).
    novadth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By novadth

The only problems I have with BLOPS on PS3 have been connection related and they're few and far between. Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones who hasn't encountered anything.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By l4wd0g
    @example1013 said:
    " @fox01313: You can't go back to MW2 because it's hacked to all shit, and Activision has said that it's not their issue to deal with, since it's a console-level issue, not a game-level issue. So no, that's out of the question. CoD 4 is the same way. 

@l4wd0g: You've got to remember that, even with paid subscriptions, MW2 went through a similar free-for-all hack spree back a year ago for a decent amount of time, until Microsoft got on the ball and really started banning the shit out of people. Hell, there are still hacked lobbies on Xbox Live, but they're usually private and not nearly as common, because Microsoft now has a large team of people going through and banning hackers with extreme prejudice.  Sony will get this under control, and then we can all go back to playing normally online. But it's not going to happen overnight, or even necessarily within the next week. So we're just going to have to tough it out for now.  And while Treyarch has been vocal in saying "we're working on it" with the disconnection, party, and lag issues, it's been 3 months since the game's been out, and it's still only a little better than it was at launch. MW2 was left to the wolves after a few months, but pretty much every single issue in that game was a balance issue, outside of how the game itself ran and played (the rock exploit was an exception, but that didn't even show up until, what, June?). "
    Treyarch makes good games, and I'm sure that this will be under control at some point. I guess my concern is that this hacking will continue on to other PS3 titles and ruin the multiplayer there as well. KillZone 3 lands in less than a month. Treyarch can't be held responsible if the systems are hack right? Sony needs to do something enforcement wise on their system or 2011 will be the year everyone stopped playing multiplayer games on the PS3.
    fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#34  Edited By fox01313

If it is hacked all to hell, either the individual games or the console itself, it is up to Sony to figure that out & enforce it. With the parent company being in Japan it's hard to tell how much of their security (against account/game cheaters & hackers) is devoted over here. Last time I checked they don't seem to be as strict as Microsoft going after people who break into the console. I guess also if the earlier MW games were hacked all to hell & back that the source code remained on the PS3 roughly the same meaning that the stupid cheaters who hacked those games could get their stupid stupid fingers on the code for Blops without much trouble.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I have played on the PS3 for a while and all I experienced was a bit of lag.

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ISuperGamerI

It's not Treyarch's fault but Activision since every COD game has had multiplayer problems.

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#37  Edited By Little_Socrates

It's not Treyarch or Activision's fault in this case. People are ripping the PS3 to shreds, and even if they manage to fix the way people are exploiting the game, it'll probably be hacked again within a day or two maximum. Treyarch hasn't made any official statements on the subject, but the remainder of IW made a statement saying that they would not be patching MW2 until this hacking issue dies down. This leads me to think that Treyarch is doing their best to combat this stuff, but right now the solution is to come up with a more comprehensive block. Fixing individual hacks will never solve the problem, so they're probably working on a larger-scale deal to combat everything. And no, they won't announce anything specific because that would be playing right into the hacker's hands. 

You're talking about hacking, it's the battle between Sony and the hackers. And there's no easy answer to that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.