Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 09, 2010

The seventh installment of the long-running action franchise, Call of Duty: Black Ops puts players into the early era of the Cold War (including the Vietnam War) as a member of the United States black operations unit known as the SOG.

PC Version

leburgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By leburgan

I'm considering getting it, how broken is it? Or are the patches good. All other sites are people just qq'ing or others telling them to stfu.

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Feanor

it was fixed 2 days ago.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By frytup

The SP campaign crashed on me twice, but MP works fine... except for the server browser, which isn't great.

I don't know how many people are still having "stuttering" problems, but that will probably depend on your system specs.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Pinworm45

It's not broken anymore. It's fine.

Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
    Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper

I never had any problems with the SP campaign at all but the online was choppy. It's been fixed for the most part in the newest patch. So definitely go for it, it's an awesome game.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SomeJerk

Today it has been a massive mess. Right after midnight Treyarch time (PST) it was like a DDoS attack hit them, but it turns out it's their side that messed some things up and the server browser company. 

One company maintains the game, one maintains the servers, one maintains the motherhumping server browser. 

Too many cooks spoil the broth.

Wolfrum_920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Wolfrum_920

Yeah, today has been kinda screwed on the servers. Shame! I blasted through the SP yesterday, just so i could focus on MP today. I'm Gutted!

Ubiquitous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ubiquitous

No man, it's not fixed. You should hold out for a while, and check up on it later. The patches have barely fixed anything. The game has terrible performance on computers that are more than capable of running the game at it's max, when it's at it's minimum. They have issues to say the least...

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By meteora
    @Ubiquitous said:
    "

No man, it's not fixed. You should hold out for a while, and check up on it later. The patches have barely fixed anything. The game has terrible performance on computers that are more than capable of running the game at it's max, when it's at it's minimum. They have issues to say the least...

"
    Depends on your hardware specs. I'm getting 30-60 fps with a GTS 250 running at max except for anti-alias set to 2x (anti-alias is a performance hog) and set at 1680x1050 resolution. Its playable. 

Granted the optimization doesn't add up with the lack of any graphical changes, but you can't expect PC games to support hardware that's older than 3 years, especially in this day and age where PC ports are unoptimized as hell.
    Godites

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Godites
    @Pinworm45 said:
    " It's not broken anymore. It's fine. "
    There's dedicated servers too.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Jimbo

Just played about an hour of the campaign.  It seemed ok to begin with but started stuttering pretty badly midway through the second level - seems like a memory leak rather than a performance issue.  It was pretty unplayable by the time I alt-tabbed out, which killed it.

Ubiquitous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ubiquitous
    @Meteora said:
    "@Ubiquitous said:
    "

"
    Depends on your hardware specs. I'm getting 30-60 fps with a GTS 250 running at max except for anti-alias set to 2x (anti-alias is a performance hog) and set at 1680x1050 resolution. Its playable.  Granted the optimization doesn't add up with the lack of any graphical changes, but you can't expect PC games to support hardware that's older than 3 years, especially in this day and age where PC ports are unoptimized as hell. "

It is playable, as I am playing it. However, the perfomance that I am getting on my rig and other's is awful. My computer is brand new, with a gtx 460 8gb ram and an i7. 30 -45 fps and an every ten second stutter on LOD load is unacceptable on my, and many other peoples systems, is it not? I am certainly playing it, and it is fun, but I am suggesting that anyone who has not already bought this, stay away until some more problems have been fixed.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By mikemcn

Im am one of about 2 people who have had zero problems with this game. I lost my class changes once in multiplayer and lost about 6k COD points, but I think that may have been an issue of my internet dieing in the middle of a saving screen. The singleplayer was perfect, it performed even better than COD4 and MW2 combined, no crashes, stuttering or bugs.

Cyborgmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Cyborgmatt

nan0fear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By nan0fear

I have stuttering in MP after the patch, ever encounter seems to kill the frame rate. Ive already done 1st prestige in 30hrs but its been a nightmare, and I'm hoping that it will get better soon. I'm not wasting any time~pain is life and life is pain.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Cyborgmatt: That dance was too great.
    OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By OldManLight
    @Cyborgmatt said:

"   

"
    lol! ok if you guys are saying you're having some success, i'm gonna pick this up on steam.  wish me luck
    H4xlike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By H4xlike

If you don't have a lot of RAM, be careful.  Game dominates RAM, and I'm getting awful performance from my lack of RAM.  Originally had 1gb, and ran CoD4 perfectly fine.  Yet had to throw another in to at least get it playable, and it still stutters a lot.  I would recommend getting a demo, or a "demo", just to see how it runs.  

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @H4xlike said:
    " If you don't have a lot of RAM, be careful.  Game dominates RAM, and I'm getting awful performance from my lack of RAM.  Originally had 1gb, and ran CoD4 perfectly fine.  Yet had to throw another in to at least get it playable, and it still stutters a lot.  I would recommend getting a demo, or a "demo", just to see how it runs.   "
    Dude who games on 2GB of RAM these days, let alone 1? 4GB is pretty much standard for all gaming machines.
    Seanebaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Seanebaby

Myself and most of my friends (and from what people are saying in matches most of the PC community) are still getting serious stuttering problems with this game (in both MP and SP).  We all have decent gaming rigs and can play other games fine.   

It's crazy how bad the PC launch has been, their community manager just keeps tweeting about the PS3 and 360 version and how many sales records they keep breaking when the PC version doesn't work for many people.  I haven't seen many gaming websites talk about it (PC gamer gave the game 60% due to the problems).  

Any other PC gamers fed up?

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Feanor
    @Seanebaby: I'm not fed up, because right now the game is working fine for me.

My PC is way under the recommended specs and I run the game fine, on medium settings on a 32 inch TV. The problem might be your computer, you should do some research on editing your config files to get better performance . 

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1573715  

Do what it says in that thread and I bet most of your problems will clear up.  
    Seanebaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Seanebaby

The problem isn't my computer, I've tried all the .cfg file tweaks and made the game look like quake 3 by turning the settings down and I still get all the stuttering issues.  In some cases I've found lowering the settings make the issues worse.  I just got a copy of the new need for speed game and can run it no stuttering max settings, I can run MW2 and WaW full settings with no stuttering, plus I can run crysis (on high settings)  with no stuttering.

The problem is in the software, I'm listening to the PC gamer podcast right now and they are having similar problems on some machines which are well above the spec and are also saying it's software.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By emem
    @Seanebaby said:
    " Myself and most of my friends (and from what people are saying in matches most of the PC community) are still getting serious stuttering problems with this game (in both MP and SP).  We all have decent gaming rigs and can play other games fine.    It's crazy how bad the PC launch has been, their community manager just keeps tweeting about the PS3 and 360 version and how many sales records they keep breaking when the PC version doesn't work for many people.  I haven't seen many gaming websites talk about it (PC gamer gave the game 60% due to the problems).   Any other PC gamers fed up? "
    I haven't had any problems at all, but I know that it sucks to have a stuttering game.. I played every game with a weird lag for about a year, because of a specific mainboard and its chipset drivers. I guess it's different from your and everybody elses stuttering, though, I had 0 FPS for about half a second every 5 seconds and it was killing me.

It's a great game, but if I had stuttering of any kind I'd probably go nuts, too.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Tennmuerti

Yep I'm still having issues with the game even after patches and getting latest drivers.
    I'm sporting a core i7 , 8 gigs of ram, and  ATI HD 5870
    Yet even turning off shadows, AA and AF I'm still getting stutters during a firefight.
    Which means I die.

Seanebaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Seanebaby
    When I have managed to play a round I've been loving it. 

It does seem to just effect some people and not others, I guess the problem with PC development is the number of variables.  They have acknowledged the problem is at their end and I think a patch is due at the end of the week, I just don't understand how they didn't pick the issue up in testing when it is wide spread.

Edit 

Link to patch thread 
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1596479
    Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jack268
    @Tennmuerti said:
    " 8 megs of ram "
    I lol'd, but I'm a dick. 

Getting the game for PC this evening since according to my bros it's not broken at all.
    emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By emem
    @Jack268 said:
    " @Tennmuerti said:
    " 8 megs of ram "
    I lol'd, but I'm a dick.  Getting the game for PC this evening since according to my bros it's not broken at all. "
    It depends on your hardware + drivers, maybe you are as lucky as your brothers and me, maybe you're not. 

8 megs.. that would explain the stuttering ;)
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Jack268 said:
    " @Tennmuerti said:
    " 8 megs of ram "
    I lol'd, but I'm a dick.  "
    Ha good catch. I laughed too :)
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By valrog

From the singleplayer point of view, it's pretty good. A few minor bugs here and there, nothing too big.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jack268

So, got the game all set up now, had some corrupt data or shit but fixed it within 5 minutes. Have noticed a few fps drops here and there but I doubt it ever went below 25. 

I have 4 GB RAM, Intel Q6600 quad core @ 2.4 GHz and a 9800 GT. 

It also seems like this game doesn't overheat my graphic card as quickly as MW2 did, or maybe not even at all which is pretty god damn odd considering it looks even more beautiful. 

Also had no connection problems at all, my biggest gripe with the game atm would be the find ranked match option doesn't allow you to choose exactly what you want. Sure, I like HC HQ, but I still prefer non-HC TDM, Domination and CTF. 

Also think I saw an aimbot/wallhacker or something, because he was moving EXTREMELY twitchy. But I ain't even mad, because this game just feels a lot better balanced than MW2 did so it's a lot easier to stay calm.

Seanebaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Seanebaby
    @Jack268 said:
    " because he was moving EXTREMELY twitchy.  "  

That could have just been the killcam lag which is a known issue.  
    Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
    JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

I have given up completely for now. The last patch fucked everything up again. I'm willing to bet things will be finally playable when a third patch comes, plus new video drivers. Until then, guess I'll go play Minecraft or something.

H4xlike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By H4xlike
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @H4xlike said:
    " If you don't have a lot of RAM, be careful.  Game dominates RAM, and I'm getting awful performance from my lack of RAM.  Originally had 1gb, and ran CoD4 perfectly fine.  Yet had to throw another in to at least get it playable, and it still stutters a lot.  I would recommend getting a demo, or a "demo", just to see how it runs.   "
    Dude who games on 2GB of RAM these days, let alone 1? 4GB is pretty much standard for all gaming machines. "
    More people then you probably expect.   Just pointing out it is a badly optimized game, and if you can run CoD4/MW2 it doesn't mean you can run this.  Which I assumed would be the case.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @H4xlike said:

" @SeriouslyNow said:

" @H4xlike said:
    Dude who games on 2GB of RAM these days, let alone 1? 4GB is pretty much standard for all gaming machines. "
    More people then you probably expect.   Just pointing out it is a badly optimized game, and if you can run CoD4/MW2 it doesn't mean you can run this.  Which I assumed would be the case. "
    The Steam Hardware Survey as of October this year shows that more than 24% of people have 2GB of RAM while people with 1GB or less account for less than 10%.

0.21%
    -0.02%

1.81%
    -0.31%

6.85%
    -0.53%

24.04%
    -1.01%

27.02%
    -0.10%

26.00%
    +1.02%

14.06%
    +0.94%

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.