Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 09, 2010

The seventh installment of the long-running action franchise, Call of Duty: Black Ops puts players into the early era of the Cold War (including the Vietnam War) as a member of the United States black operations unit known as the SOG.

Veteran Campaign

mitchell486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mitchell486

Hey guys, 
    I'm obviously new here, but I was really curious about some things I found in Black Ops. 

I decided to play through on Veteran first time through because I had played COD since Modern Warfare and figured I could handle it... Was it just me or did that suck ALL of the fun out of the campaign mode? I liked the story but Veteran ruined it because I had to play levels over and over and over and OVER. 2 hits on the 360 version and you are dead. I swear it was all but physically sickening to try and finish the stupid game. Last night when I finally beat it I was so relieved not to have to grind at the levels anymore, that I hardly felt any pride in myself for actually finishing the game. But I wanted to S-rank this one like I did with COD4, (actually the second reason I played through on Veteran first time through... It's a pain to play, err... GRIND through the levels again just for those achievements... Made that mistake in COD4 and wasn't about to make it again...) But other than the impossibility that they call "veteran" I really enjoyed the game as a whole. I purposely waited to play Multiplayer online because I wanted to get all the way through the campaign first. I know there will be a ton of grinding to level up in the MP but at least it won't be as impossible(I hope..).

Was anyone else intrigued by the "Tried?" JFK comment Steiner threw out at the end when the explanation was finally happening at the end?! I was pleasantly surprised... Also the level in Khan or wherever it was (the one with the stupid hill you had to run down and kick the napalm drums..) that had the trench at the bottom... HOLY BOOB was that hard and not very informative! I had to look at a quick video of someone doing the actual objective because after 2-3 hours of replaying that same part, I realized that getting into the trench like that one "They're in the trenches!!" guy says was NOT the way to do that mission... Overall I did enjoy the whole game and it was DEFINITELY a challenge. So please don't take this post as b!tching but I really just wanted to see if anyone else had this much difficulty and thought it was grinding to really beat the game on Veteran.  

PS - I loved the feel of this COD better than COD4 once I finally got the hang of it... It was like the controls were tighter or more responsive or something. I was WAY off when I shot that VERY first guy in the game but after a few times I got the hang of it and liked it WAY more. Hopefully that transfers to MP well and holds my attention. 

PPS - Is there any "golden gun" type thing in this MP? 

I look forward to more posts and hope I contribute to this forum well!     :D

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By SuperWristBands

Welcome to Giantbomb friend.

I gotta say I stopped playing campaign after I think the third mission or something. I was also playing on Veteran and got sick of the endlessly respawning enemies FAST. I can't comment on the rest but I do remember hearing talk of the awful barrel level (I guess napalm drums is what they were).

Also I used to be the kinda person who would play through the campaign in its entirety before going into multiplayer but I don't do that anymore with any game. I tend to find multiplayer to be a lot of fun and to hard to ignore.

mitchell486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mitchell486

Well, my final reason for waiting to play MP was that my best friend doesn't have Blops until next week at the earliest and I can't stand playing COD without a solid team(or at least ONE teammate I know) to back me up. I don't mind dying 45 times for a team I know and a team I know tried to win. Otherwise it's all 12-15 yr old punks saying "I'm gonna pwn joo!!" the whole time and it then sucks all the fun out of the MP.. So therefore I just opted to wait and concentrate on beating the campaign.  But yes the urge to play MP has been gnawing at my brain all week! :\

Do you know of any "golden gun" or "positive reinforcement" type goals/prizes in MP? I haven't heard anything about them... Is that what the "Pro" of each thing is? And if so does the "Pro" thing of each weapon/class setup disappear when you prestige?

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SuperWristBands
    @mitchell486: 
    I totally understand how you feel about multiplayer. Every game I've played of Blops has been with at least one friend, granted I'm only level 30-ish.

As for the golden gun game mode there isn't an exact of it that I know but there is a game mode called "One in the Chamber" which -to me at least- feels similar. If you aren't aware of the mode imagine everyone with a golden gun and one bullet. Every kill earns a new bullet and it kills one hit and everyone has three lives.

For the positive reinforcement you do have pro versions of perks that are much better (Hardline Pro lets you change the contents of a care pakage. I had a friend turn ammo into a helicopter of some sort that I don't remember) and they do reset after prestige. You also unlock guns and what not for leveling up, so there is that too.
    PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PillClinton

Yes, welcome to GB.  Honestly, I didn't find Black Ops' veteran all that bad compared to MW2, but I definitely think you made a mistake playing veteran for your first playthrough.   It would have made it far less enjoyable for me. 

mitchell486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mitchell486
    @Sasran: Noooo golden gun as in "COD4" golden gun that once you Complete every part of the Assault Rifle class you get a golden plated AK47... Sucks that the "pro" part goes once you prestige but eh guess that's par for the course... 

@100_Hertz: Thanks for the welcome and I knew I wouldn't want to play all the way through again if I didn't play it on Veteran first time through. Ya know?
    btman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By btman
    @mitchell486:   I played through it first on Hardened so I could enjoy the story.  Now I'm two missions in on veteran and I hate it.  but I will get that Platinum trophy.
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By iam3green

i hate veteran. i played call of duty 4 on veteran a couple of levels. i got frustrated and said screw veteran. i haven't played veteran since then. i played black ops on hardened and had a little bit of trouble with it. 

for the golden cameos you have to be 14th prestige to get them.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Azteck

I played through MW2 and most of CoD4 on veteran, as with a bunch of other games. I usually only do this after having finished the campaign on Normal first because I like the enjoy the story, as bad as it may be, before I ruin it for myself by making it ridiculously hard.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#10  Edited By beargirl1

i beat the campaign on regular difficulty to enjoy the story, and thought it wouldn't be so bad playing it on vet (especially since MW2 was kind of a breeze on Veteran) but i'm totally stuck at some point in "Executive Order" (or something) after you blow up the rocket. i was stuck on that one part for two hours and haven't played it since. not fun at all, but that's what i expected. 

also, welcome to giant bomb! 

Jothel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Jothel

finished black ops on veteran today, have done 2 4 5 6 7 on veteran now, was hard but not the hardest.
    it definitely makes the game less fun but for some reason i just have to do it....i think 4 was the hardest on veteran, followed by 2, modern warfare, world at war, black ops and then i found modern warfare 2 to be the easiest, there really wasn't a lot of trouble for that one.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NTM

I beat it only once, and that one time was on veteran. That game was really boring. I guess I can't really say I was that dissapointed though since I wasn't even excited for its release. By now, everyone should find that game old news. It's too bad they don't. Just go back to MW2, which was a lot better.
    mitchell486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mitchell486

Thanks for all the input guys!  

And @NTM: As for the going back to MW2, I actually never owned that one. I just played through it while borrowing it from my roommate. Waiting for the price to drop significantly before I purchase it. :) I know I'm cheap but eh such is life...

mitchell486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mitchell486
    @jhass14: Sweet! Thanks! Cuz with COD4 I got the golden gun ONCE about 3/4 of the way through Full Prestige (Level 10/Level 55) and then I vowed never to do that in the middle again... I didn't think it was worth it at ALL while still trying to prestige to the end.  

I found it more enjoyable to try and prestige faster than my best friend rather than work towards a golden gun.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.