Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 09, 2010

The seventh installment of the long-running action franchise, Call of Duty: Black Ops puts players into the early era of the Cold War (including the Vietnam War) as a member of the United States black operations unit known as the SOG.

Would the COD community average K/D be <1.00?

JBird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JBird

Just played COD for the first time since before exams/revision, and I was thinking about the good old kill death ratio. Mine is around 1.70, with regular fluctuation from 1.68 to 1.72. I'd like to think this was above average, everyone likes a good nerd ego boost!, but I'll never know.  

Then I got thinking. Every time I get a kill, someone dies. ( I'm such a deep thinker)  so every time my ratio goes up, someone's goes down. Now, its fundamental that there cannot be more kills than deaths, but you can die without killing. If anyone is as pro as me at throwing a cooked grenade off doorframes into my own face I'd be impressed. So would this mean that the entire community average will be slightly less than 1? Meaning that my lovely 1.7 is indeed above average. So, I haven't studied maths since I was 16. So fellow mathmatical duders. Am i right? Is the average cod ratrio less than 1?  

Oh and if anyone out there wants to tell me that 1.7 is shit and they get a 5 k/d and thats when controlling it from the otherside of the house using a series of well placed mirrors, thats great! please keep your incredible achievements to yourself. 

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MrKlorox

The average should be 1.00 even. For somebody to have a 2.0 KDR, somebody else would have to have a 0.5 KDR. If it doesn't average out to 1.00, something is off. It's a zero sum game. You can't have a kill without a death, and deaths without kills (suicides) don't count in the ratio.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By laserbolts
    Id say average is around 1. Mine is currently at 2.03. I threw it in the other and it reminded me of how good those call of duty games are. I love how tight the controls are. Sure the franchise is being milked to hell but i still find some enjoyment from the games. Still doubt ill be getting mw3 since ill be too busy playing skyrim.
    CSXLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By CSXLoser

if suicides count then it should be less than 1.00 

otherwise it should be exactly 1.00 

EDIT- beaten by first reply  :P   

GuyIncognito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By GuyIncognito
    @JBird said:

Am i right?

There is a difference between average k/d ratio per player and overall kill ratio.  Some kill ratios are undefined (say 1 kill and 0 deaths).  

Here's an example if there were only two COD players: 

Player 1:  Kills = 2.  Deaths = 1.  (one accidental death)
    Playhe 2: Kills = 0.  Deaths = 2.  

The average k/d (per player) is (2/1 + 0/2)/2 which is 1. 

But the overall k/d is (2 + 0) / (1 + 2) = 2/3 < 1.  (assuming accidental deaths count)
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MrKlorox

@GuyIncognito: Accidental deaths (suicides) don't count though.

GuyIncognito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By GuyIncognito
    @MrKlorox said:

@GuyIncognito: Accidental deaths (suicides) don't count though.

Then the overall k/d is 1.  But the "average" is undefined if there is at least one player who played only for a bit and has 0 deaths. 
    FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

average k/d in COD is 8.1/1.   

I don't need facts to back this up.
    GuyIncognito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GuyIncognito
    @FiestaUnicorn said:
    average k/d in COD is 8.1/1.    I don't need facts to back this up.
    It's possible. 

One player has around 8.1 * (number of COD players) kills and 1 death.  All other players have 0 kills and some deaths (i.e., 0 k/d ratio).
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By StaticFalconar

Suicides don't count so its a zero sum game.  

However, that zero sum game includes a bunch of noobs that probably play only once a month or something. So, in the overall grand scheme of things, yes you are better than the person that cannot aim for shit and haven't memorized the maps to know what do to. Your E Peen feels good now don't it?  

But it's all still relative overall. Between clans (or just people that play regularly), saying you have a k/d ratio of 1.7 while respectable might not mean much when the mass market penetration CoD has, includes so many people that just aren't good at it. Hence, there's still talk of you ain't shit til you get a k/d ratio of 10 or something ridiculous. 

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ShockD
    @MrKlorox said:

Accidental deaths (suicides) don't count though.

So kamikaze kills such as running into somebody with a RPG-7 and shooting into the ground will result in K/D boost?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.