Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Nov 08, 2011

The last installment of the Modern Warfare trilogy brings World War 3 to the world of Call of Duty. While the U.S., British, and French armed forces try to push back the Russian invasion, the disavowed Task Force 141 begin their hunt for international terrorist Vladimir Makarov.

Fuzzy memory, Did Guitar Hero and Tony Hawk get this much hate?

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By OldManLight

I'll be one of the first people to admit this franchise needs some innovation in the next one of these that they do. But with that being said, I'm also kinda shocked at the amount of outrage that people are throwing at this game. Nobody promised anyone anything except more Modern Warfare when this game was announced so why all the hate? It just seems like people are nitpicking for things to complain about. Recycled graphics, art assets, characters, weapons, killstreaks, fonts, all caried over from previous games but all that stuff is kinda what makes Modern Warfare look like Modern Warfare. I remember people being similarly pissed about halo 3 looked like a higher res halo 2 but what's wrong with that? Most of you liked it at one point. Why should the developer completely overhaul something that the majority of people liked the last time instead of just giving you a smaller evolution on it? Especially in the wake of the mass exodus following MW2. I'm frankly surprised they made a game as competently as they did.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By kingzetta

yes the last three guitar heroes were hated upon like nothing else.
    I don't remember much about tony hawk

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By jetsetwillie

im not sure you realise how cool it makes you on the internet to hate popular franchises like CoD.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SamStrife

There definitely hate but not on this scale.

The funny thing about the internet is it's full of hipsters who love to hate and pick flaws with games loved by the masses. I don't intend to get MW3 because I'm finally tired of the formula but I'm not going to spew all the hate that some are. Just move on people.

buttle826

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By buttle826

Yeah, Guitar Hero got shit on a bunch, and the later Tony Hawk games, like Tony Hawk Ride, got a bunch of shit too.

Also, people love to hate things.

mano521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mano521

i felt that way about all guitar heroes after 3. and tony hawk i never bothered to get in to. but i loved cod up until they ruined the balance in mw2 and now it just looks like theyre doing the same thing over and over. its not like its hate for no reason as some would say. it is the general fatigue in playing the same game which the developers hardly try to change for the better because they know it'll rake in the money either way.

i realize that they have a formula that works, but the problem is they dont try to improve on it in any drastic way. and we all know it could

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By ProfessorEss

Tony Hawk was certainly getting more than enough hate by the time it hit it's fifth installment.

Was it as harsh as is it towards the franchises of today? Probably not, but I think that has to do more with how the culture of hating popular things on the internet continues to grow, evolve and mature than the franchise(s) in question.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By DukesT3

Guitar Hero yeah but with Tony Hawk I don't think so. The quality of that game was just going downhill =( they should just update Tony Hawk 3 graphics and release it on xbla for like $15. that would be pretty sweet.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By endaround

COD is getting nowhere near the hate Guitar Hero and Tony Hawk got.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By imsh_pl

@OldManLight said:

Recycled graphics, art assets, characters, weapons, killstreaks, fonts, all caried over from previous games but all that stuff is kinda what makes Modern Warfare look like Modern Warfare.

Why would you need another modern warfare game then? Why not just stick to the previous two?

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By falling_fast

@endaround said:

COD is getting nowhere near the hate Guitar Hero and Tony Hawk got.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Winternet

Guitar Hero by the 5th iteration was pretty much the devil in the video game industry.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By Video_Game_King

Yea, it's really confusing to see people saying "I'm starting to not like something I've liked before simply by virtue of seeing it twice before."

Avatar image for theblindchessman
    TheBlindChessman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheBlindChessman

Within any genre, whether it's literature, film, music, or games, if the same thing keeps being released over and over again people get tired. There's nothing "hipster" about wanting to see a bit of innovation.

And I've seen very little CoD hate on this site, at most people seem to be saying that they're either tired of the formula or they prefer another style of shooter.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By WinterSnowblind

It happened to Tony Hawk, it happened to Guitar Hero, it happened to Halo (which actually has very few games compared to most big franchises) and it's now happening to CoD.

I think it just gets to the point where the developers are simply cashing in. There's no love being put into the games any more and no meaningful additions. They exist simply because they're big name franchises that will make a lot of money with a new game. The amount of hate might be a bit overboard, but there is a reason for people being sick of them.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By Zippedbinders

@ProfessorEss said:

Tony Hawk was certainly getting more than enough hate by the time it hit it's fifth installment. Was it as harsh as is it towards the franchises of today? Probably not, but I think that has to do more with how the culture of hating popular things on the internet continues to grow, evolve and mature than the franchise(s) in question.

5th installment? THUG? I thought everyone loved that one? THUG 1 and 2 were legitimately good games. The series just spiraled into mediocrity and peripherals after that.

SilverBulletKY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By SilverBulletKY

Who cares? It's still going to sell 5 million copies and be the most played game on Xbox live and PSN.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hunkulese

You need to consider the scale. The one point that can't be argued is that MW games are the most popular games ever. When you have that many people buying the games you're going to get a lot of opinions. Even if it's only 10% of the MW players who are complaining that still represents a number that is higher than the total number of players of most other games. People make far more noise when they don't like something than when they do. So even though it's a small minority that are complaining it comes off as a ton of people bashing the game.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @Zippedbinders: I'm not saying whether it was good or not, I was just saying it seemed like the hate started to creep out somewhere around four or five.
    EmuLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By EmuLeader

@imsh_pl said:

@OldManLight said:

Recycled graphics, art assets, characters, weapons, killstreaks, fonts, all caried over from previous games but all that stuff is kinda what makes Modern Warfare look like Modern Warfare.

Why would you need another modern warfare game then? Why not just stick to the previous two?

This is exactly the point. It was not needed. They make the game because they know people will buy it and they'll make millions of dollars without alot of effort. The people who want to still play the game online need to switch to the new one if they want to continue to play with the community that all moved on to the new one. I got started hating on the franchise around the time of Black Ops, because it was all the same stuff every game, and I went from loving it to just being worn out playing the same thing over (and spending more and more money just to do so). This game was really not needed.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#21  Edited By DarthOrange

@LooseChange said:

Guitar Hero yeah but with Tony Hawk I don't think so. The quality of that game was just going downhill =(

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say that Guitar Hero got as much hate as possible by it's end. Tony Hawk just turned into disinterest and indifference.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#23  Edited By cornbredx

It was basically already said, but it's not just true for the internet. Popular things get a lot of hate. I was never into Guitar hero and when I was playing Tony Hawk I didn't use the internet as much for forums and discussion as I do now so I have no idea what the discussions were like then. I never heard any hate about Tony Hawk until Underground really, that I recall.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By imsh_pl
    @EmuLeader said:

@imsh_pl said:

@OldManLight said:

This is exactly the point. It was not needed. They make the game because they know people will buy it and they'll make millions of dollars without alot of effort. The people who want to still play the game online need to switch to the new one if they want to continue to play with the community that all moved on to the new one. I got started hating on the franchise around the time of Black Ops, because it was all the same stuff every game, and I went from loving it to just being worn out playing the same thing over (and spending more and more money just to do so). This game was really not needed.

My questions were supposed to be rhetorical, but thanks for answering them anyway.
    OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By OldManLight

@EmuLeader said:

@imsh_pl said:

@OldManLight said:

see i would argue that all companies love to make money, activision deciding to shelve call of duty in the face of the game selling more and more every year would make them idiots in the eyes of their shareholders.

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26  Edited By ttocs

I don't understand why people get so upset over MW3. If you don't like it, don't buy it. What really gets me though is that some of the people complaining about the game online are going to go home tonight and pop MW3 into their Xbox and play it. People just like to bitch.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

#27  Edited By fobwashed

Guitar Hero was different from Modern Warfare in that, by the last couple versions, they weren't putting any effort into it at all. They were just licensing music, and putting out product to milk the franchise for all it had left. At least it really seems that way from the outside. The hate that the Guitar Hero franchise got near the end, was way more justified than the hate towards the CoD series. So far.

Call of Duty at this point is still something that Activision wants to keep around and they're putting a massive budget behind it. Once it looks like it's a franchise on the way out, I expect Activision to do the same. Pump in just enough funding to get returns on their investment while lowering the quality and increasing the frequency of releases until the name doesn't mean anything anymore.

All that being said, hating shit like this is stupid. Why get all emotionally butthurt about something that doesn't matter. Just don't buy it. Don't play it. Save your hate for something more deserving. . . like. Goddamn Giant Bomb premium content! And. . . umm. . . IGN! and. . . review scores?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.