Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Nov 08, 2011

The last installment of the Modern Warfare trilogy brings World War 3 to the world of Call of Duty. While the U.S., British, and French armed forces try to push back the Russian invasion, the disavowed Task Force 141 begin their hunt for international terrorist Vladimir Makarov.

Where's all the fuss?

• 93 results
    imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By imsh_pl

Batllefield 3 just came out, and managed to beat the sales of all the previous battlefield games combined. That's obviously thanks to the huge marketing campaign: TV spots, banners and - most importantly - internet ads.

There were certainly doubts as to Battlefield being able to beat MW3's sales this year, but with this whooping start I think it's safe to say that MW3 has to buckle up. The thing that worries me the most is the fact that I see absolutely no MW3 marketing. In fact, I doubt the average Joe even realizes that the game comes out in a week.

What do you guys think? Are you surprised to see no MW3 marketing anywhere? Or am I just stupid and failed to see the ads (I live in Poland so that may be partly true)? From what I've seen, MW3 will have a tough time beating BF3's sales, especially considering the fact that the latter had a pretty significant head start. Of course, I think it's better for the industry as a whole if you show people that you can finally beat CoD.

ShadowofIntent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ShadowofIntent

As an American I can confirm the general public is well aware its approaching.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By AlexW00d

All the dudebros definitely know it's out soon, they'll all convene on their local Gamestop/Game at midnight like the Gathering of the fucking Juggalos.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By LordXavierBritish

You seem to be under the impression that Call of Duty is not a mainstream cultural phenomenon.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By SeriouslyNow

It's already leaked on PC in pirate circles.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

People know...people...they know bro.

Stingraymond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Stingraymond

Are you stupid or just delusional? There's MW3 advertising everywhere, Activision are infinitely better at marketing than EA and MW3 will undoubtedly sell truckloads more than BF could ever dream of. Even my grandmother is buying a copy, the public is very very much aware that the game is out next week and literally nothing can beat it at this point.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8  Edited By LordXavierBritish
    @Stingraymond said:

Are you stupid or just delusional? There's MW3 advertising everywhere, Activision are infinitely better at marketing than EA and MW3 will undoubtedly sell truckloads more than BF could ever dream of. Even my grandmother is buying a copy, the public is very very much aware that the game is out next week and literally nothing can beat it at this point.

My grandmother died of cancer.
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Slaker117

Yeah, BF3's numbers were impressive, but dude, come on. Call of Duty is in a league of it's own, sales wise.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @AlexW00d said:

All the dudebros definitely know it's out soon, they'll all convene on their local Gamestop/Game at midnight like the Gathering of the fucking Juggalos.

I can imagine the millions of dudebros who can't wait to purchase MW3 and get their beasting on 

So much beasting to do, so little time.
    imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By imsh_pl
    @Stingraymond said:

Are you stupid or just delusional? There's MW3 advertising everywhere,

You should probably take note that there's world outside of the USA.
    redbliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By redbliss

@imsh_pl: What makes you think internet ads are the most important? Also, just because you dont see the ads doesnt mean they arent out there. I really dont know if you are Activision's core marketing demographic, so I dont think there is much of a chance that you would see their ads. Do you watch a lot of sports or other similar events? What kinds of television shows do you watch, and what kinds of magazines do you read? Do you buy video games in a store? All this stuff matters.

Activision knows how to market, and they know exactly who to market to which is why you probably havent seen anything. EA is the same, but maybe you just happened to come across an ad or maybe you were looking harder or maybe EA just went a little further with their campaign. Neither of those companies need to market to you or me because no amount of advertising is going to sway you one way or the other in deciding whether you should buy the game or not. You dont need a basic commercial to make up your mind, which is why Activision uses those on the general public. For gamers, you get gameplay videos and videos showing you what is new. I have seen plenty of those videos on the internet.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DeF

@AlexW00d said:

yup, my local dudebro CoD nut knows about its release date ... and he's the type that doesn't know anything about other games coming out. all he knew besides that was that "BF3 comes out a bit earlier ..or something" (he bought BF3 and returned it after playing it for 30min because "it's not enough like CoD" - he's been playing MW2 since it came out non-stop, btw [even skipped Black Ops])

so don't worry ...MW3 will do the usual sales apocalypse thing. it's like a bio-clock that lets you wake up the same time everyday without an alarm. dudebros know when duty calls!

niall_sg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By niall_sg1

Personally I haven't seen any adverts for it, but everyone who plays COD knows it's coming out and will no doubt buy it.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By OllyOxenFree

@AlexW00d said:

Ew.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By mikey87144

Don't worry Mr. Dude bro. All of your COD faithful friends know when it's coming out. When I bought BF3 all my friends who aren't really core gamers asked me how it compares to COD and whether they should buy BF3 or wait 2 weeks to buy COD.

Ursus_Veritas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Ursus_Veritas

I dunno, I've been seeing lengthy (30 second and minute long) MW3 ads on TV here in the UK for the past week, so the marketing blitz is probably just cranking up. Hell, my parents watch Soccer AM on Sky every saturday, and this past weekend the same MW3 ad was in every ad break for that show. 

I've not seen a lot of banners on the internet or what not, but Activision are definitely beginning to start getting MW3 out there to the mainstream audience. I didn't see a single ad for Battlefield 3 lately outside of posters in the windows of Game and Gamestation. I've seen a lot more MW3 stuff - even local superstores are advertising that it's coming soon.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Red12b

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

People know...people...they know bro.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jacdg

@AhmadMetallic said:

@AlexW00d said:

I can imagine the millions of dudebros who can't wait to purchase MW3 and get their beasting on
    So much beasting to do, so little time.

I'm already looking forward to it, not going to a midnight launch event since that is stupid, but I can't wait to go online.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

My 'I only have an Xbox for Fifa and CoD' friends know, they can't shut the fuck up about it.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @TaliciaDragonsong said:
    My 'I only have an Xbox for Fifa and CoD' friends know, they can't shut the fuck up about it.
    Sounds like the kind of buddies I'd love hanging out with. 

Why the fuck am I 3rd top poster on this shit forum board? Where the fuck are you COD people? De-3rd-throne me!
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AhmadMetallic: Don't make me become a CoD fan to de-3rd-throne you!
    GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#23  Edited By GunstarRed

Bobby Kotick lives in an evil James Bondesque space station and is sending subliminal messages down to earth in our sleep... we all know... all of us do.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @TaliciaDragonsong said:
    I'm not worried, I know that Battlefield 3 has you by the [figurative] balls. 

This is the last time I'm posting here, anyone who quotes/replies to me on here is my sworn enemy.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By toowalrus

The pizza delivery boys at work are hyped.

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AhmadMetallic said:
    @TaliciaDragonsong said:
    I'm not worried, I know that Battlefield 3 has you by the [figurative] balls.   This is the last time I'm posting here, anyone who quotes/replies to me on here is my sworn enemy.
    And yet I look forward to the MW3 Spec ops and Horde mode thingies. 
    Beware...
    Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Vodun

Do they even need to market CoD any more? Isn't it just like Coke that they only have to do the occasional "hey remember us" ad?

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is plenty of fuss, the game has more pre-orders than Black Ops who beat Modern Warfare 2 who had more pre-orders... you get the idea.

I guess people don't really talk about it on the internet though, since it is popular to hate on Call of Duty.

morrelloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29  Edited By morrelloman

Drunkenly bought two copies of BF3 last night. I told my boy it was an engagement present that he would only get if he came wh me to the GameStop right from the bar.

There was a banner for MW3. I forgot it comes out in a week. I don't care. I like that Dice/EA has tried to take them down. Didn't get to play yet, but will confirm if it was a good decision or not.

PS Going into a gamestop drunk and telling the cashier you want 6 copies of Forza 4 is a guaranteed way to get a laugh.

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By sickVisionz

@imsh_pl said:

Or am I just stupid and failed to see the ads (I live in Poland so that may be partly true)?.

That's the case. They will probably get more sales from California (one of 50 states in the US) than the entire country of Poland. You don't see tons of ads there because your country isn't particularly relevant in terms of market size.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

@Stingraymond said:

It's always a good idea to put an insult first in your answer to a posting. Shows you are tough and know what you are talking about.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By laserbolts

Are there TVs in Poland because I've seen a bunch of ads over here in Canada.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By imsh_pl
    @sickVisionz said:

@imsh_pl said:

Or am I just stupid and failed to see the ads (I live in Poland so that may be partly true)?.

That's the case. They will probably get more sales from California (one of 50 states in the US) than the entire country of Poland. You don't see tons of ads there because your country isn't particularly relevant in terms of market size.

Yeah that's probably the case, I was just surprised because there are plenty of BF3 ads on TV, websites and in various stores, same case was with Blops. 

And holy crap, I didn't realize that California makes for the 8th part of the entire US population, that's crazy.
    RuthLoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By RuthLoose

Have you watched either a game of NFL or any of the World Series? Modern Warfare 3 has been all over that.

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Twisted_Scot

Wait theres a MW3 ? Shit id better get one that.

Revan_NL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Revan_NL

There were MW3 ads on TV (prime time) here in the Netherlands before there were any BF3 ads, so yeah, I think that people know that MW3 is right around the corner.

dystonym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By dystonym

@SeriouslyNow: Not as such. The Steam pre-load has leaked which is unplayable until releases properly.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SSully

They have plenty of marketing. I see plenty of commericals, and they have rolled out their mountain dew ads where every bottle of moutain dew has a small add and gives you a code for double xp for 15 mins or so.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@AlexW00d said:

Oh fuck you. There are 20 million people who play Call of Duty. Are you seriously lumping EVERYONE in with the stereotypical fratboy who shoved you into lockers?

Grow up.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40  Edited By Marz

call of duty doesn't need much advertising at this point,  it has such a large userbase it will sell like hotcakes once it comes out. 

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Karl_Boss

People are sick of the bullshit.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By AlexW00d

@KingWilly said:

@AlexW00d said:

Oh fuck you. There are 20 million people who play Call of Duty. Are you seriously lumping EVERYONE in with the stereotypical fratboy who shoved you into lockers?

Grow up.

I had neither fratboys nor lockers at any of the educational establishments I went to I'll have you know, son. And I think you need to return to one as you seemingly cannot read a single sentence correctly. Where in what I wrote did I say that everyone who buys the game is a fratboy? Where did I even say fratboy? What the fuck is a fratboy?

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@AlexW00d said:

@KingWilly said:

@AlexW00d said:

Grow up.

I had neither fratboys nor lockers at any of the educational establishments I went to I'll have you know, son. And I think you need to return to one as you seemingly cannot read a single sentence correctly. Where in what I wrote did I say that everyone who buys the game is a fratboy? Where did I even say fratboy? What the fuck is a fratboy?

I think a dudebro is like a fratboy?

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Joeyoe31

All the cool kids are too busy spinning brodies outside in the parking lot to actually talk about their new 2 year time sink.

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By jetsetwillie

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Stingraymond said:

my grandmother was run over by a tractor, twice.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Arker101

I'm getting it, and I've seen the TV ads on AMC and FX.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Joeyoe31

@jetsetwillie said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Stingraymond said:

my grandmother was run over by a tractor, twice.

My Grandmother is in a nursing home.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#48  Edited By Commisar123

I've seen tons on TV and the internet

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By jetsetwillie

im sure as we approach the launch the self appointed hardcore gaming illuminati will start to fill the forum across the internet with the utter disgust at games other people play.

CoD:MW3 is a chance for YOU to prove your HARDCORE roots.

the more you hate the hardercore you are. and its so easy all of the hate speak is already worked out, tried and tested

im now currently 8/10 when it comes to hardcoreness i hope to get that to around 9/10 when CoD:MW3 comes out

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By bybeach

I donno. I see very little of the intense MW trailers, which is the direction I thought they were going after that SON-OF- MW 2 release. I will go with the flow that all the DudeBros know. But, and I will admit this...does this mean the SP, you know, the part not multiplayer, REALLY sucks this time? Just not suck for those wanting innovation and all that cultural arty crap. But like Battlefield 3 suck? Hey, maybe Battlefield 3 did get their SP right, after all....

Bummer for this hipster though! I pre-ordered. For the Single Player.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.