Activision Formally Announces Call of Duty Online

• 90 results
#51 Edited by Sammo21 (3023 posts) -

To be fair...if you play a lot of Call of Duty and Battlefield 3, their premium services are really nice and cheaper than buying everything separately. Also, you don't need them to play games and you can still find plenty of games EASILY on any platform without any of the DLC. Gets kind of tiring to see all the mindless shit people say about the stuff when they clearly don't know what they do or who they are intended for.

@pa21ris: Because people on PC don't play COD...

#52 Posted by Mofaz (45 posts) -

Manshoot: Free Edition - Desperate Plea For An Audience

#53 Posted by Brodehouse (9370 posts) -

Call of Duty Online?! Now I can play Call of Duty Online online with my online Call of Duty friends! Thanks Call of Duty Online!

#54 Posted by Vexxan (4598 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

Call of Duty Online?! Now I can play Call of Duty Online online with my online Call of Duty friends! Thanks Call of Duty Online!

What an age we live it.

#55 Posted by Pop (2530 posts) -

hello we are Activision! money?

#56 Posted by DeanoXD (607 posts) -

Is the asian market really a hot bed of Gray Whitta style shoot that guy gaming? Or is just that there are so many people that we will make money no matter what we put out?

#57 Posted by kycinematic (136 posts) -

Great. Can't wait for the Chinese to be sick of this fucking game too.

#58 Posted by Ravenlight (8033 posts) -

[Read in Big Jeffrey voice] Big Bobby's got a plan for them chinafolk.

#59 Posted by Jaxley (62 posts) -

Finally, a multiplayer Call of Duty!

#60 Posted by M_Shini (548 posts) -

Surprised they didn't release it in eu and Us, although im sure they would make more money selling full on boxed games plus dlc so i guess it makes sense.

#61 Posted by benu302000 (208 posts) -

I think this makes way more sense than releasing another 60 dollar one. But they'll do that anyway...

#62 Edited by MrAWESOME247 (17 posts) -

Man i can not wait till COD is burnt into the ground like Guitar Hero!

Activision rely on COD way to much , which is only going to hurt them big time i hope . This shit is getting stupid!!!

#63 Posted by Lobster_Ear (284 posts) -

That has got to be the most redundant title ever created.

#64 Posted by SpartanHoplite (384 posts) -

people saying Acti relys on COD too much & when CODs popularity fades theyre in trouble.

not true, the time when CODs popularity starts fading (latest release sold over 30 million) & its not going to fade anytime soon, is moment Acti has already made tens of billions $$

so theyre playing their cards right at the moment by relying on COD

#65 Posted by RJ (122 posts) -

Is there multiplayer?

#66 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2812 posts) -

I've been saying China! China! China! for so long. Gods.

We're a few years out from seeing international Chinese consoles, Chinese developed games, and not far from Triple-A China games either. Sign me up!

#67 Edited by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

Huh, maybe if it comes to America (lolyeahright) we can finally be done with the yearly installments? Also, as pointed out by numerous people in this thread.. those screenshots bear a freakishly close resemblance to MW2 Spec-Ops.

#68 Posted by White (1143 posts) -

Can they farm gold?

#69 Posted by fisk0 (3289 posts) -

@mosdl said:

@Var said:

Now when will something like this come to america (never)

There is a free to play Battlefield version (based on BF2) that came out a while ago.

Two Battlefield games, actually, Battlefield Heroes and Battlefield Play4Free, both of which have been around for a few years, neither of them especially great (though Heroes has an rather charming art style). Then we have Blacklight Retribution which is all about recreating the Call of Duty gameplay as an free to play shooter covering a lot of game types and with extensive customization.

#70 Posted by ShenaniganZ (65 posts) -

heres an idea. how bout activision take every map from every cod and use the modern warfare 3 level up system or tweak it like the always do, whatever, and make an elite edition. charge like 100$ one disc every map. booyah! i want .05% of gross kotick! ahem mr. ceo kotick.

#71 Posted by tamriilin (89 posts) -

@Var: Something similar already did come to America. It's called Blacklight Retribution and it's out on Steam now and you should play it ASAP

#72 Edited by vinsanityv22 (1064 posts) -

"This doesn't look too shabby for a free-to-play game, but we haven't seen it in motion."

C'mon. F2P has been great looking for AT LEAST a year now. Can we stop being surprised by this?

Of course, this is Patrick writing this. Mr. "I'll just regurgitate the popular opinion on the internet instead of have my own opinions". *sigh*

I DO think it's hilarious that Mr.Kotick talks about "innovative" new games, when he's marching out the 83rd version of Call of Duty, a series that hasn't changed the formula since COD2. And whose developers are so creatively bankrupt, they're disposable and interchangeable. Activision has about 7 studios pumping out COD games, map packs and content, and no one can see any difference. If that's not the sign of "innovation", I don't know what is! LOL.

#73 Posted by AiurFlux (899 posts) -

Nice marketing ploy. This is just Activision peddling a "F2P" game in arguably the biggest market, and potentially the biggest eSports market, on the planet. Then when and if they hit the saturation that they want they'll cut it off and release the full 60 dollar yearly average iteration, along with their shitty "Elite" service and make more money. The fact that people can't see through their bullshit is kind of worrying. Activision, and Bobby Kotick in particular, never EVER give anything away for free. There is clearly an ulterior motive here behind the scenes.

Call me a pessimist, but why else would they release a F2P game in the Chinese market when they make billions a year off of an expansion pack elsewhere in the world? It's all about exposure. Hook them and reel them in, then swim in the money. They're businessmen. It's what I'd do.

#74 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (2960 posts) -

That bridge. That fucking bridge.

@Bobby Kotick said:

We think China is one of the most exciting places in the world for us to grow our business and to develop innovative new games.

Nice try, Bobby, but that sentence is six words too long to be the truth.
#75 Posted by jaks (238 posts) -

yea lets tap into that well of chinese consumers that love to play as US marines shooting muslims or russians or muslim russians in the face with high tech assault rifles.

#76 Posted by shadowdrone (69 posts) -

Kind of up in the air whether or not this game is even going to come in the US, but if it does, I hope it just gets looked over because everyone is already Playing Blacklight: Retribution. That game is doing the Call of Duty thing just as good as Call of Duty itself, plus it's actually doing a couple interesting things as well. We'll see, I guess.

#77 Edited by k4el (120 posts) -

@Var: http://store.steampowered.com/app/209870/

Just saying.

#78 Posted by PandaBear (1264 posts) -

I play Battlefield Play4Free and Battlefield 3 ... they're such different games, and 3 is much better gamer, but Pay4Free is still a good time waster now and then on the laptop. I wouldn't write it off just yet... if EA can get it done right(ish) Activision probably can too.

#79 Posted by Sagalla (205 posts) -

This would never work, unless you can play with one hand and smoke with the other

#80 Posted by TPoppaPuff (236 posts) -

I have three questions about this game:

1. Is it being developed by Treyarch?

2. Is it running on the Black Ops or Black Ops 2 versions of the engine instead of the IW version?

3. Is it the original Modern Warfare?

If the answer is no to (1) then the game as evidenced by all the other non-Treyarch CoDs is woefully unbalanced. If the answer is no to (2) then the game is running on an inferior version of the CoD engine. If the answer is no to (3) then the game is not fun.

#81 Posted by shishkebab09 (96 posts) -

@TPoppaPuff said:

I have three questions about this game:

1. Is it being developed by Treyarch?

2. Is it running on the Black Ops or Black Ops 2 versions of the engine instead of the IW version?

3. Is it the original Modern Warfare?

If the answer is no to (1) then the game as evidenced by all the other non-Treyarch CoDs is woefully unbalanced. If the answer is no to (2) then the game is running on an inferior version of the CoD engine. If the answer is no to (3) then the game is not fun.

There's a large contradiction in what you want this game to be. Don't think too hard; it's Call of Duty.

#82 Posted by Will_M (342 posts) -

@Var said:

Now when will something like this come to america (never)

Not as long as people are willing to shell out 60 buckos for yearly installments along with a 50 buck elite subscription. Its much more profitable to keep the yearly dev cycle churn w/map packs rather than settle on a F2P title.

#83 Posted by laserbolts (5309 posts) -

@Jayzilla said:

Activision: Spying on and firing employees to keep them from royalties, and keeping you buying our games year after year! Thank you consumers for continuing to allow us to do whatever we want and to treat our employees however we want without consequence!

To be honest I dont give a fuck about Activision employees and if I want to buy an Activision game I will.

#84 Posted by beepmachine (614 posts) -

@vinsanityv22 said:

Of course, this is Patrick writing this. Mr. "I'll just regurgitate the popular opinion on the internet instead of have my own opinions". *sigh*

Oh Jesus, give me a break. This isn't an editorial, it's just a blurb. Get off your high horse for fuck's sake. How many opinion pieces and editorials has Patrick written here? Does this story really warrant some long-winded in-depth critique?

#85 Posted by LikeaSsur (1430 posts) -

@laserbolts: Hey, I've got this great new video game. Wanna buy it? In a year, I'll remake it and you can buy it again! I'll even throw in a "new" story and "tweak" some settings so it plays better!

#86 Posted by RivenD3ll (82 posts) -

Today, on the 4th of July 2012, at 8PM, I've read "Free" and "Activision" in the same sentence. Our calculations were off, for December 21st 2012 isn't for another 5 months. My god...

#87 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

@RivenD3ll said:

Today, on the 4th of July 2012, at 8PM, I've read "Free" and "Activision" in the same sentence. Our calculations were off, for December 21st 2012 isn't for another 5 months. My god...

No, it's not too late! There can still be hats! Or extra guns! Anything to avoid the rapture!

#88 Posted by laserbolts (5309 posts) -

@LikeaSsur said:

@laserbolts: Hey, I've got this great new video game. Wanna buy it? In a year, I'll remake it and you can buy it again! I'll even throw in a "new" story and "tweak" some settings so it plays better!

Sure why not?

#89 Posted by KillerFly (391 posts) -

Call of Duty on the internet? It'll never work.

#90 Posted by vizionblind (114 posts) -

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

#91 Posted by adamswid (5 posts) -

Stupid people, stop buying call of doodie games

#92 Posted by Rawson (136 posts) -

I thought there already was a F2P FPS made in the Quake 3 engine.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.