Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 04, 2010

Take control of various protagonists from the series's history in this downloadable 2D platformer featuring both online co-operative mulitplayer (for up to six players at a time) and extremely large levels.

For those on the fence of buying this game...

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By rjaylee

I've summarized it down I think to these points.

Buy this game if you like: Actual Castlevania gameplay but without a straight XP-leveling mechanic, loot-lust, 2-D multiplayer action, light RPG min/maxing elements, really challenging 2-D platforming.

Buy this game if you hate: Castlevania storylines, the room change animations form previous Castlevania games, inverted castles.  

The Baseline: You better be a pretty die-hard Castlevania fan that doesn't mind the fact that there's not the typical singleplayer experience here, due to the missing storyline and missing castle exploration elements.

[edited after spending many hours into the game] 

I've summarized the rest of my thoughts to a blog. Link incoming.

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Deusoma

Aww man, I hated the oldest Castlevania games but was really looking forward to this one. Maybe I'll get the Symphony remake on PSP instead...

FightMeNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By FightMeNerd

I've never played a castlevania game except for the demo of the first xbla one. I love this game. :] Also loot lust doesn't count. Well for my character anyway, I just bought the best equipment in the store so far and i havent found anything better yet. It's more about level up lust. One more skill, one more spell, one more power up. I get excited every time I see my fireball spell do one more damage.

Spence_5060

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Spence_5060

The way that I look at it is that I'll only get it if a few of my friends get it for the co-op fun.

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By rjaylee
    @Spence_5060:
    Yeah that's the main factor I'm also stuck on. I'd be disappointed that if I bought this game that I would not find many people to play online with, let alone the fact of finding some competent games with some of the aforementioned strange matchmaking.
    Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Rayeth

Ok so, buy this if I don't like Castlevania, but like Castlevania... 

wait, what?

Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Malakhii
    @Rayeth: Basically the thing to know is the single player sucks, thats generally what I've been hearing. 
    AgentZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By AgentZero

I've only tried the demo and the little bit I played was ok but I'm a huge Castlevania fan so I probably will still get it
    DeadSpace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By DeadSpace
    @heatDrive88:  "missing castle exploration elements"

No!!!! That was the whole appeal of the franchise to me. It's hard for me to not feel like this game was a squandered opportunity.
    Camurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Camurai

I was on the fence when I saw "Play the new Castlevania ADVENTURE" on my dash, then I saw the quick look and realized it's not an adventure at all. 
    Almost everything I enjoy about Castlevania games has been removed from it. 

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By rjaylee
    @camozombie:
    Yeah, it's why I said you have to straight up like just playing the 2D action of Castlevania. Not the "action-adventure" part which is sorely missing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.