Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 04, 2010

Take control of various protagonists from the series's history in this downloadable 2D platformer featuring both online co-operative mulitplayer (for up to six players at a time) and extremely large levels.

single player?

gnark1ll420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By gnark1ll420

will i still be able to play by myself? didn't see anything on the info page.
    kevinski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By kevinski

Yes, you can play by yourself. It doesn't look like it'll be terribly difficult, either, although you won't be able to cover as much ground by yourself. The nice thing about playing with others is that each member of your party gets a copy of any respective item whenever one member picks it up.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Devil240Z
    @kevinski: do you get exp when someone else kills something?
    kevinski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kevinski
    @Devil240Z said:
    " @kevinski: do you get exp when someone else kills something? "
    Not sure. I don't recall that having been discussed yet.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By Jeust

I think the game won't have a full fledge story, and will be more in terms of a collection of levels, to play by yourself or with friends. So you can, but it probably won't be as good as the portable games, in single player.

mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By mordecaix7

Good to know we can play it one player.  I was wondering that myself as all the info I've seen has stressed the multiplayer aspect of it.  I still don't actually know what the point of the game is... but I want it REALLY BAD.

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By SteamPunkJin
    @mordecaix7 said:
    " Good to know we can play it one player.  I was wondering that myself as all the info I've seen has stressed the multiplayer aspect of it.  I still don't actually know what the point of the game is... but I want it REALLY BAD. "
    They've kind of compared it to Raiding in MMO - team up, beat boss, get loot.
    mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By mordecaix7
    @SteamPunkJin said:
    " @mordecaix7 said:
    " Good to know we can play it one player.  I was wondering that myself as all the info I've seen has stressed the multiplayer aspect of it.  I still don't actually know what the point of the game is... but I want it REALLY BAD. "
    They've kind of compared it to Raiding in MMO - team up, beat boss, get loot. "
    I c.  That makes it easily expandable with DLC later on.  :) 
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jeust
    @SteamPunkJin said:
    " @mordecaix7 said:
    They've kind of compared it to Raiding in MMO - team up, beat boss, get loot. "
    Yeah, but it doesn't look like it will have a cohesive story does it?
    Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Devil240Z

seriously though. Japan and their damn multiplayer. they need to learn a thing or two: 

games where you shoot stuff in the face = good multiplayer.  
    everything else = total crap. 

Nossie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Nossie

believe both single and multiplayer will be there.. although either one will be  phantasmagorical    
    liquid3600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By liquid3600

Since the single player and multiplayer are the same game, and I've heard that boss hit points increase depending on how many players are on the team, I wonder if that will mean that loot drops will improve as well.  Jeff seemed to have been getting the same crappy loot playing by himself in the QL.

Thunderstarter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Thunderstarter

Either way, this game is still focused on multiplayer. It won't have a cohesive story but...since when was Castlevania known for its stories (Castlevania is here! Destroy it!/Stop Castlevania from coming!)

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hunkulese
    @Devil240Z said:
    " seriously though. Japan and their damn multiplayer. they need to learn a thing or two:  games where you shoot stuff in the face = good multiplayer.  everything else = total crap.  "
    what an ignorant comment
    Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Devil240Z
    @Hunkulese said:
    " @Devil240Z said:
    " seriously though. Japan and their damn multiplayer. they need to learn a thing or two:  games where you shoot stuff in the face = good multiplayer.  everything else = total crap.  "
    what an ignorant comment "
    You thought I was serious? 
    ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
    @kevinski said:
    " Yes, you can play by yourself. It doesn't look like it'll be terribly difficult, either, although you won't be able to cover as much ground by yourself. The nice thing about playing with others is that each member of your party gets a copy of any respective item whenever one member picks it up. "
    For some characters like Jonathan and Charlotte who can't switch primary attacks and lack high level special items, there is challenge.
    kevinski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By kevinski
    @ThePhantomnaut said:
    " For some characters like Jonathan and Charlotte who can't switch primary attacks and lack high level special items, there is challenge. "
    I dunno. Granted, I'm not very far into the game yet, but Charlotte really seems like she could be a bad-ass. I can rip right through enemies as her.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jeust
    @Thunderstarter said:

" Either way, this game is still focused on multiplayer. It won't have a cohesive story but...since when was Castlevania known for its stories (Castlevania is here! Destroy it!/Stop Castlevania from coming!) "

Well, for me at least, i liked Circle of the Moon's story, and some related clashes, Aria of Sorrow's story, Dawn of Sorrow, not so much Portrait of Ruin, and Order of Ecclesia was cool also. Something to motivate to advance, rather than "Dracula kidnapped your sweat heart, make him pay!" or its absence in the truest form. 

That and the fact that the levels are just a remix of both plataform sections and enemies of the previous games. 

Still i played the demo and liked it. But it doesn't feel quite right. With more polish it could've been the next big direction for Castlevania games. Maybe lack of development time or Konami didn't really believe in the game. :(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.