Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 04, 2010

Take control of various protagonists from the series's history in this downloadable 2D platformer featuring both online co-operative mulitplayer (for up to six players at a time) and extremely large levels.

Verdict?

Judoka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Judoka

Will not be able to play this until later in the week.  What is the verdict or early impression?  I seen some stuff online and I like what I see.  Crappy connection so I can't watch much video.  I want to hear from some Castlevania fans about this new format of the game.  Thanks!

Tips and tricks welcome too!!

Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Metroid545

Awesome and crazy the single player is fun but the mp is where its at

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 22

#3  Edited By jacksukeru

I wasn't too upset that I wouldn't be able to play it.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By Jost1

Verdict: Igarashi has lost his marbles

Judoka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Judoka
    @josty81 said:
    " Verdict: Igarashi has lost his marbles "
    Lol, That bad huh?
    Judoka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Judoka
    @RockmanBionics: 

Who's upset?
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#8  Edited By jeff

Really not liking the single-player. I'll get going on multiplayer today and see if that makes it better.

n8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By n8
    @Jeff said:
    " Really not liking the single-player. I'll get going on multiplayer today and see if that makes it better. "
    You the man Jeff keep us in with the knowledges!
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By jeffgoldblum

It seems like this game is really multiplayer focused and that's not what I'm looking for out of a Castlevania game.

liquid3600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By liquid3600

Verdict:  It has some rippin', Castlevania-ass music.

Just bought my copy.  Will play a bunch when it gets done downloading.  Can't wait.

Megafaun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Megafaun
    @Jeff: Yeah you didnt sound too enthusiastic in the QL,  you just saved me some space bucks!

Also does anyone really want to bother to get together for a multiplayer game?  Too much effort for castlevania.
    jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#13  Edited By jacksukeru
    @Judoka: Not me at least. I might've been if it looked more compelling, then it could've even been a dealbreaker as for me getting a 360. At this point I'm actually glad that it doesn't seem like I will be missing much.
    Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jost1
    @Jeff said:

" Really not liking the single-player. I'll get going on multiplayer today and see if that makes it better. "

The thing is, they took away  a) exploration and b) levelling up, so what are we left with? This game is the opposite of what I want in a Castlevania game. It even lacks a story. Even though the Castlevania storylines are dumb and cheesy as hell they're still entertaining. But this one doesn't even have THAT.

But yeah the music is good, and I'd expect nothing less. 

It's puzzling that there hasn't been a proper Castlevania adventure in the wake of Shadow Complex. I'd play the heck out of that.

Konami seem to be struggling to find their way this generation. I can't think of anything besides MGS4 that I really loved.
    TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By TwoLines

I saw couple of gameplay footages of MP in motion, it looked pretty good.
    Certainly better than the obviously tacked on Single player mode.
    Which is a shame, casue I like to play a Castlevania game alone.

Not that this won't be fun, I might buy and try this game- after reading Jeff's review that is.
    If it turns out it's really crappy, then I'll save those bucks for something else.
    Too bad SoA has only two games left. Two games that I'm not interested in at all.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#16  Edited By Icemael
    @josty81 said:
    " Konami seem to be struggling to find their way this generation. I can't think of anything besides MGS4 that I really loved. "
    Really? I thought Order of Ecclesia was the best Castlevania since Symphony of the Night.
    Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jost1
    @Icemael said:
    " @josty81 said:
    " Konami seem to be struggling to find their way this generation. I can't think of anything besides MGS4 that I really loved. "
    Really? I thought Order of Ecclesia was the best Castlevania since Symphony of the Night. "
    Thanks for reminding me, that game is really good. :)  Easily the best since Symphony, yes.  But Konami in general; it's not hard to see they're having problems capturing people's interest.
    Von

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Von

I bought it this morning and I have to disagree on the point that single player is kind of "meh". If you don't misuse the "map" function (i.e zoom it out so you see the whole layout) the game turns into an explorers heaven. Kind of like the old C64/Amiga game Exile. What's over here? Where does this passageway lead? Ooooh, treasure!  Aha, this switch opens that door... etc.

Sure, you'll probably die a lot before you got sufficiently good gear and the time might run out but since you get to keep your loot it turns into a "just one more time!" game. I'm only on chapter two but I replayed the first one atleast five times and never got bored of it. Added bonus (for me atleast) is that you can play as Shanoa, in my opinion the best character ever in the Castlevania series. Her grappling hook makes platforming a bit more fun too. 

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Devil240Z
    @Jeff said:
    I think this game is going to suffer the same issues that Lost Planet 2 does. Japanese Devs not understanding what Western gamers enjoy when it comes to online multiplayer.  
    John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By John1912

Yea, great idea, but doesnt seem like they fleshed it out.  Looks ok short term, but I cant see a long term interest in the game.  Too bad, was hoping this would be good.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21  Edited By Sooperspy

Just played the sp demo. Wasn't too much fun, but will probably get it for the online co-op.

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#22  Edited By Timing

I have a question. Do you actually fight other people in Survival Mode? Or is just that the game keeps throwing enemies at everyone until only one player is left?

Myomoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Myomoto

I love the hell out of this game. Castlevania has been cross-bred with Diablo, you are constantly gathering loot, finding new spells and etc. I have to point out that I was a huge fan of the 3 DS games were much of the content in this game comes from. My biggest complaint however, is that Jonathan cannot equip any other weapons than the Vampire Killer, which is a HUGE disappointment.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hunkulese
    @TwoLines said:
    " I saw couple of gameplay footages of MP in motion, it looked pretty good. Certainly better than the obviously tacked on Single player mode. Which is a shame, casue I like to play a Castlevania game alone.  Not that this won't be fun, I might buy and try this game- after reading Jeff's review that is. If it turns out it's really crappy, then I'll save those bucks for something else. Too bad SoA has only two games left. Two games that I'm not interested in at all. "
    ????? 

I'm not sure how the single player is obviously tacked on. It's exactly the same as the multiplayer game. 
    TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By TwoLines
    @Hunkulese: It feels tacked on, as the main focus on the game is its multiplayer mode.
    The singleplayer seems dull and uninteresting- it has no story, no narrative, nothing.

It's a one player multiplayer assault mode "match".
    dvdhaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By dvdhaus

I think this game will hold up.  If they keep the promise that more maps will be available and they are cheap, this game could last a long time.  Right now all the maps in the game are section's of previously released game's.  There has been what like 5 DS games, and Symphony of the Night.  They can essentially break those games up into at least 30 more levels. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.