Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Oct 05, 2010

In this reboot of the beloved Castlevania franchise, Gabriel Belmont goes on a quest to defeat the sinister Lords of Shadow, who are preventing the souls of the departed from passing on to the afterlife, in order to obtain from them a magical mask that will bring his murdered wife Marie back from the dead.

Is the retail version better than the demo?

najibu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By najibu

I played the 360 demo recently and while I am really interested in buying the retail game, there's something about the frame rate in the demo that puts me off. Does the retail version also have that issue? or is it simply that area in the demo in particular? seeing as there's rain effect and all.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

The retail version has a weird frame rate regardless, although the PS3 version has a somewhat better frame rate.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By CptBedlam

In some places it gets a bit stuttery. That first level in the demo is one of these places. Mostly it ran fine fore me. I recommend installing the game on the 360 since it improves the performance considerably. I noticed that when I deleted the two installed dvds in order to free some hdd space and when I played the game directly afterwards I immediately thought "wait, this is way worse ... *installs game again* ".

najibu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By najibu

i see. thanks for the info guys. i was worried if the entire game was running like that. it's a shame really since it looks pretty darn good

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By xyzygy
    @najibu: Funny, my version works wonderfully. I downloaded the demo for 360 and noticed some weird framerate issues, but absolutely ALL of that is gone in the retail version after I installed it. 

Actually the one and only moment I have noticed a framerate chug was during a cinematic that is included in the demo. When Gabriel is sleeping by the fire, just before the horse comes and picks him up. When he awakens, stands up, and goes to look around beside the tree, there was terrible framerate problems for maybe .5 of a second. Then the game has performed amazingly beyond that point. 

If you install the game it will run perfectly, it's definitely a non issue.  

Again I want to reiterate - all the framerate problems, minus that one scene by the tree, are GONE in the retail version. I'm playing it right now as a matter of fact, it's on pause and I'm on Chapter 11 and haven't noticed any performance issues beyond the one i mentioned. I can't really see how the framerate could get any better.
    najibu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By najibu
    @xyzygy: thanks. i was holding back on getting the game till now just because of frame-rate in the demo. I'm not exactly a 'everything has to be 60fps!' kind of guy, but some of the scenes in the demo (especially during the chase sequence) felt so chuggy that it really put me off. I'll probably get it in a day or two
    sukru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By sukru

Don't worry about the frame rate. It sure does get choppy, but when you realize the scale of things going on the screen it becomes understandable. 

I wish they had time to optimize this more, however it contains some of the largest levels I've played in a while.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.