Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Catherine

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Feb 17, 2011

The first game developed by Atlus for the PS3/Xbox 360. Made by the Persona Team, The game is an "adult oriented" action-adventure/horror game with puzzle platforming stages.

Atlus Pulled The Catherine Demo From PSN

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 27

#1  Edited By metalsnakezero

It looks like people really liked Catherine, enough that Atlus had to take the demo off the PSN. This could be due to over-seas interest of the game and the fact that PS3 is region free, allowing everyone to download demo and surpass Atlus's bandwidth cost. This could, in a way, show them that people are interested in the game everywhere and not just in Japan, which may led in to a release here soon. The demo is still up on Xboxlive by a Japanese account for anyone who is still want to try it out. 

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/02/07/sorry-ps3-owners-atlus-pulled-the-catherine-demo-from-psn/

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Enigma777

Wasn't it timed? I remember reading something about how it would be only up for 2 weeks or something

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Animasta

they never mentioned a timed limit.

and I swear people keep saying that it has a chance of not making it over and those people are DUMB. why do a 360 version if it wasn't coming over?

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Aus_azn

Well, at least I got it, and it probably means that we've displayed enough interest in a worldwide release.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Well, it's kinda lame that they took it down, but if it helps Atlus make its decision on whether to bring it to the US or not, then I guess that's a good thing. 

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By ChrisTaran

This is as mentioned in the Siliconera comments, 100% due to the bandwidth costs that Atlus must pay for the downloads. Either they had a set budget and that budget was reached, so they pulled it down as to not go over or they always had an time frame of how long it would be up. I'm going to assume it was the former.

This is why it's still up on the 360. They don't have to pay the bandwidth for those demo downloads.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By ch13696
    @Laketown said:
    " they never mentioned a timed limit.  and I swear people keep saying that it has a chance of not making it over and those people are DUMB. why do a 360 version if it wasn't coming over? "
    I don't think it's up on Xbox Live in the US. The OP mentioned that it's still up on Japan's Xbox Live.
    endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By endaround

Its due to how Sony charges for downloads from PSN.  

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By ch13696

Apparently this is the reason why...

Why? Apparently, the Catherine demo was in limited quantities. An Atlus tweeter explained downloads have hit the planned number, so distribution of the demo is over. TheCatherine demo is still available for Japan region accounts on Xbox Live and you don’t need Gold membership to access it.    

Pretty disappointing that they can only distribute a certain amount of demos.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By Animasta
    @ch13696 said:
    " @Laketown said:
    " they never mentioned a timed limit.  and I swear people keep saying that it has a chance of not making it over and those people are DUMB. why do a 360 version if it wasn't coming over? "
    I don't think it's up on Xbox Live in the US. The OP mentioned that it's still up on Japan's Xbox Live. "
    no, I meant an english localization of the full game. not the demo
    cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By cornbredx

Cool, this sounds like it may increase the chance of it coming to the US. I am in favor of that =)

Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Lemoncookie01

Right,I'll remind myself not delete the demo next time I clear my PS3.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By BabyChooChoo

This is why we can't have nice things!

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn, I was actually planning on downloading it today.  But hopefully like you said, it will increase the chance of a global release.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I don't see how this increases Atlus' awareness of Catherine's popularity outside of Japan. In numerous interviews, they've stated that they've been surprised as to how well it was received outside of Japan and I maintain the position that there's absolutely no way there won't be a North American release. 

And I'm somewhat surprised to learn that they don't need to pay for the bandwith on Xbox Live as they need to do on PSN. I'm sure most people who wanted to download it already did, though, so I wouldn't think this is that much of an issue.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By endaround

Sony charges to list it and download it while Live fess help to defray the cost on the MS side.  Its why almost all Xbox game demos stay around forever while PSN demos often will get pulled after a while.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By SomeJerk

Finally, a negative thing about PSN and a positive thing about XLive.

No way I can take the Catherine data out of my PS3 and share it? I know you can do it with the 360, or could, but hmm

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Aus_azn
    @somejerk said:

" Finally, a negative thing about PSN and a positive thing about XLive.  No way I can take the Catherine data out of my PS3 and share it? I know you can do it with the 360, or could, but hmm "

I believe you can, but I may be wrong.
    metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#19  Edited By metalsnakezero
    @xobballox said:
    " Damn, I was actually planning on downloading it today.  But hopefully like you said, it will increase the chance of a global release. "
    That just a guess I'm making base solely on the fact that over-seas user were downloading the demo and not just Japanese user. FluxWaveZ is right that it isn't too much of a issue if the people who really wanted the demo already did.
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@metalsnakezero said:
    " @xobballox said:
    " Damn, I was actually planning on downloading it today.  But hopefully like you said, it will increase the chance of a global release. "
    That just a guess I'm making base solely on the fact that over-seas user were downloading the demo and not just Japanese user. FluxWaveZ is right that it isn't too much of a issue if the people who really wanted the demo already did. "
    I actually meant a global release of the full game :P
    samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By samfo
    @Laketown:
    very good point!
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#22  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

My condolences to the PS3 owners that were hyped about this demo but didn't get to play it.

FuzzYLemoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FuzzYLemoN

I purposefully passed on the demo. Can't go spoiling an Atlus game for myself, now can I?

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @FuzzYLemoN said:

" I purposefully passed on the demo. Can't go spoiling an Atlus game for myself, now can I? "

Didn't see much spoilers for me in the demo. Then again I can't read Japanese, so it was a bunch of guessing. If anything you can see what the gameplay is like. Storywise I wouldn't think Atlus would spoil their own game in a demo.

Of course I can understand going in completely fresh. I mostly wanted to check it out because of the art style, and it looks slick.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#25  Edited By Hailinel
    @wolf_blitzer85 said:
    " @FuzzYLemoN said:
    " I purposefully passed on the demo. Can't go spoiling an Atlus game for myself, now can I? "
    Didn't see much spoilers for me in the demo. Then again I can't read Japanese, so it was a bunch of guessing. If anything you can see what the gameplay is like. Storywise I wouldn't think Atlus would spoil their own game in a demo. "
    What little story is in the demo isn't that spoilery anyway.  It's all very early game stuff that doesn't reveal much more than a little bit of initial character establishment.
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By meteora

Kind of understandable, since PSN does charge for bandwidth usage on demoes. Kind of sucks, but demos aren't a huge deal that customers are complaining about (if there is a lack of demos) for Sony to change it.

I'm still surprised as to how much overseas coverage this game gets, however.

Avatar image for dandroid_kikaider
    Dandroid_Kikaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played the demo and way loved it. I'm pretty optimistic about it coming out in the US though and if it doesn't, import =) Though a local translation would be much more appreciated.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.